Preschool allocations (in Edinburgh)

(3 Posts)
Loolumboolum Fri 06-Jul-12 21:21:22

Hello all... bit of a lurker emerging here as I'm stuck. blush

I have a 3 year old DS and a 7 month old DS. I am already sort of back to work. DS1 attends a private day nursery 2 full days a week, and the fabulous plan was that DS2 would do the same, thus leaving me to work 2 full days and have my mum help out with the remainder (I'm contracted 25 hours).

Bearing in mind all of this, I declined the preschool place that was offered to DS1 thinking that I'd use the funding against the private nursery.

Problem: having done the maths, the private nursery for both DS seems untenable (shock I know).

So my question: can I re-accept a place that I have declined? Can I get back on the list? Failing that, does anyone have any miraculous ideas or tips on nannies?

Thank you for reading this far I'm in a total panic! ...

BirdyBedtime Tue 24-Jul-12 12:20:01

Hi. Not sure if you are still strugging with this but didn't want to leave you unanswered. My experience would be that if you decline a place you'd go to the bottom of the list again, but that depending on uptake a place might become available. Presumably you only got offered a morning or afternoon place for DS1 and your mum would be doing the 'wrap-around' for those sessions, otherwise it would actually mean paying for this too in addition to the pre-school nursery. I would contact the school and explain your sitation - they can be quite sympathetic if you approach them nicely. Also, I'm not sure what Edinburgh does, but in East Lothian if your DS was attending 4 sessions of private nursery, you'd get 4 sessions funding (as you can get up to 5) which wouldn't leave so much to pay for his full 2 days, although I appreciate this might still be too much.

Loolumboolum Fri 27-Jul-12 11:35:35

Thank you so much. Am going to contact the school, and have also hired an au pair and cancelled the nursery. The joys....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now