Is there a beginners thread?

(21 Posts)
Henbythesea Thu 25-Aug-16 08:58:41

Morning,

I've just discovered this board...is there a beginners preppers thread?

Swishtails Thu 25-Aug-16 09:08:43

Thanks for starting this, OP. Watching hopefully. Would be great to have a basics / where to start thread.

I'm in the very early stages, have bottled water and survival blankets. Need some ideas on how to start building this up.

gamerchick Thu 25-Aug-16 09:20:57

Storage first I think looking back. I have a big walk in cupboard upstairs I painted out, put shelving units in.

There are was to store stuff if you don't have much room also, I know people in flats to put little bits behind the bath panel, surprising room under the bath. Divan bed with drawers are also a good way to use space.

Once you've got your space it's easy to start.

HellsBellsnBucketsofBlood Thu 25-Aug-16 10:31:58

Storage definitely key. Then sit and think about how long you want to be able to manage for (a week? three? a year like apparently Mormons are recommended to do?). And are you planning to hunker down and stay put, or do you also want a plan for if you have to vacate?

If staying put, its a question of looking at what foods store, for how long, and what level of calories would be needed a day (you want to maximise healthy calories in a form that takes up as little space as possible - low fat diet products are not your friend in an emergency smile)

Also think about water. Can you store it? How much? What are alternative water sources? How to ensure the water available is potable?

If you'd have to leave - what could you carry? Are you fit? Do you have appropriate rucksacks, etc.

gamerchick Thu 25-Aug-16 10:54:48

Yeah must put together those rucksacks. Be good to have a sort through anyroad I think.

gamerchick Thu 25-Aug-16 10:59:16

I also have one of these. www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ALRS1AS/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1472118967&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=inverters&dpPl=1&dpID=51U7vyZRbgL&ref=plSrch It's mainly for power cuts to run the big freezer but it's handy for camping as well. I just clip it to a car battery.

cozietoesie Thu 25-Aug-16 12:47:44

Hi Henby

Many of the threads on the board are, in effect, reference threads where people have gone into some considerable detail about their plans. For me, the key is actually thinking about the topic occasionally. (Not obsessively, I reckon. You still have to live your life.)

Work out your own vulnerabilities and how you might be able to cope with them. Fire, for example, is still your most likely and immediate hazard, I think, so start with something you can cater for. Would you be able to get the family out safely if everything went up in the early hours of tomorrow morning, for example? It's extraordinary how few families have even addressed the topic, let alone made any plans for it.

Swishtails Thu 25-Aug-16 14:29:52

We have storage (large amount of shelving space in secure garage) so a good starting point I guess.

I think there are so many eventualities for which we could prep, so I've selected two:

- fire (need to leave house immediately)
- natural / medical disaster which means we CANNOT leave the house

For the latter I am planning for a week at the moment. I'm not sure I would want to be around if anything lasts longer than that, although I appreciate this is somewhat warped logic.

cozietoesie Thu 25-Aug-16 14:39:56

Actually, if you prepare for one thing - fire, say, is a prime example - you'll be in the mindset for dealing with others if they happen. You may even find that the preparing covers more than one event. smile

Swishtails Thu 25-Aug-16 15:44:22

I agree, cozie.

I did the online shop this afternoon and after some research, added things which seem to be considered 'essentials' for prepping. Mainly food bits at the moment.

Henbythesea Sat 27-Aug-16 22:32:33

Thanks for all the replies. I've been thinking of getting started several times and just get a bit overwhelmed! Good advice to start thinking of particular scenarios and planning for them. I'm going to start with the First Aid kit and Rucksacks for the car.
We are pretty limited in terms of storage so I'm thinking of a storage box in the kitchen. Going to start adding extras to the food shop.

cozietoesie Sat 27-Aug-16 22:45:19

Well done for thinking about it. smile

How are you fixed for a possible fire, by the way? (Planning there may not cost you much at all (if anything) and could have zero impact on your storage.)

Henbythesea Tue 30-Aug-16 08:03:15

Thanks cozie

For a fire, we have a fire blanket in the kitchen. I have an exit planned for night time, always leave the door keys in the same spot etc. Have been considering getting a rope ladder... Worth it do you think?

cozietoesie Tue 30-Aug-16 09:08:44

It depends on circumstances, I think, but you know my views - just thinking things through seriously is a fair part of the battle to my mind. I know that fire, for example, can come upon you completely unexpectedly and in circumstances where you have little control over it.

(Some years back, we were woken in the early hours by the fire brigade and put under warning of immediate evacuation because the building on the other side of our neighbour's had gone up. Nothing to do with our household. It worked out OK for us due to the emergency services and local weather conditions at the time but I could very easily have lost permanently a whole raft of eg family pictures among other things. When it happens, it's fast. sad)

Whatslovegottodo Tue 30-Aug-16 09:22:03

We have just started a survival kit in our garage.
We have a few sleeping bags, 2 rucksacks, gas, lighters, matches, are collecting water bottles (29p for 2 litres at home bargain), tins and things can be eaten cold- we will then rotate these each year and add to each month.
Living fairly rurally, albeit with a village shop nearby, it seems a good idea to be prepared for harsh winters as much as zombie apocalypse.

cozietoesie Tue 30-Aug-16 09:26:00

I agree. Maybe we'll muddle through with regard to the SHTF situations but the lower level problems will always be with us.

ScuttlbuttHarpy Sat 03-Dec-16 23:27:46

I never even knew there was a thread on here let alone a whole board. That's great, now when it comes to dp going on about axes and saws that he'll need I can take advise from you, and tell him what we actually need. So far I have rice and hand sanitiser, ds1 keeps eating the canned goods.

Dp has bought all ds's (and himself, and friend) a catapult for xmas and will be teaching them how to use it. It might get a few pheasants if shtf.

Aside from that and a small pop up tent, we're literally just starting. So any advise is greatly appreciated.

cozietoesie Sun 04-Dec-16 00:37:58

The thing about axes and saws is that you have to use them a lot to gain the appropriate callouses and muscle development. If he starts to use them a lot in a situation of.....difficulty, he'll just have blisters and pulled muscles within 20 minutes. (And little in the way of formal medicine to help him.) Do you need anything built or chopped right now?? Because he ought to get started right away. smile

cozietoesie Sun 04-Dec-16 00:39:06

Sorry - that applies to many tools and not just axes and saws of course.

ScuttlbuttHarpy Sun 04-Dec-16 16:00:45

Dp is a baker by trade but also does a lot of diy, this summer he completely excavated and leveled the back garden by hand, shifted a few tons of soil into a skip, and is currently working on a worktop (made from pallettes) in his shed. He has callouses as hes always got some sort of project on.

cozietoesie Sun 04-Dec-16 16:27:16

Good for him. A sound person to have around in the event of ......difficulties. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now