American storm

(13 Posts)
feckitall Sat 23-Jan-16 22:43:36

Has the snow storm that has hit America made you think more about prepping ?
I wondered whether we will get tail end weather from it in the UK..
If so what kind of prep is appropriate for a property on the edge of a large town....only DH and I plus 1 dog and 2 cats..

zombiesarecoming Sat 23-Jan-16 23:46:32

It made me think watching the news and seeing all the supermarket shelves empty within hours how unprepared some over there are

The main things you need for being snowed in or cut off are food/water

Also Heat which can be as simple as boiling a camping stove and kettle if the power goes for filling a hot water bottle

Which then means you need a stove and a few gas canisters stashed and also a camping kettle to boil on it

Start small and build up stocks slowly if you can't afford to do a big splurge spend to get a big chunk at once and within a few shops you will have a few extra days of food without too much extra effort

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 24-Jan-16 00:06:51

I don't think it's supposed to be coming over here. Those empty supermarket shelves looked a bit scary. There's no harm in stocking up on a bit of extra food and water just in case. Just use them up within the date if they aren't needed right now.

GinBunny Sun 24-Jan-16 00:29:45

DH is a prepper and I've never got it until I read this thread. He's always said that it's not for "the end of the world" but "just in case". Supermarkets apparently have 3 days worth of stock at any given time, so if people start panic buying then they are going to run out pretty quickly.
I've just given him my permission to buy a calor gas heater and jars of pasta sauce. He's happy now grin

dilbert19912 Sun 24-Jan-16 00:33:24

Dp and i spoke about this not long ago aboit this winter is meant to be crazy cold so everyweek weve bought extera bits from the supermarket - and now because of what a pp said i am looking into how much a calor heter and gas would be.

AdoraBell Sun 24-Jan-16 00:51:49

I'm not much of a prepper now that we are back in the UK but I do have a hang up about food/lack of money so stock up on non perishable/long shelf life things.

Currently have a cupboard full of canned soups. You can get a huge variety, really easy to heat through on a camping stove if need be.

feckitall Sun 24-Jan-16 09:02:08

Well thats good, I have a camping stove from actually camping wink Generally I keep soups etc in the cupboard...
Bring it on!
not really but you know what I mean
grin

cozietoesie Mon 25-Jan-16 10:58:18

They have a long shelf life, Adora, but not an infinite one. It's as well to get in the habit of eating some occasionally so that you can do some rotation. smile

AdoraBell Mon 25-Jan-16 20:12:26

I do Cozie but thanks, very good point.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 25-Jan-16 20:14:55

Apparently we are getting it...in the form of exceptionally heavy rain. Just what we need.

cozietoesie Mon 25-Jan-16 22:49:44

Well done, Adora. It's useful also to try out stuff that you might have to live on in anger. Some tinned stuff is great but, equally, there are some real awful canned products out there and you can't tell from the pictures on the outside. If I have no option but to live on a store cupboard, it's preferable that the food should be at least palatable. (And lukewarm or cold palatability is a bonus.)

feckitall Thu 28-Jan-16 21:59:02

I think I'm developing rust...I'm down south so snow doesnt tend to be much or last long...flood is low risk too...it would more be like power failure...

cozietoesie Fri 29-Jan-16 20:41:56

Or fire. That can occur anywhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now