Alternatives to LED Lenser torch?

(7 Posts)
NewToNoContact Wed 30-Dec-15 13:36:42

Hi, I would like to get a couple of good quality LED torches. I have a couple of the cheap ones and I don't find them any good. Had a couple of Maglites which I left with the ex when we split up as I didn't think they were great. Been looking at LED Lenser but I just wondered if there was anything as good but a bit cheaper? I need one for the glovebox and a couple to have in the house so the cost adds up quickly.

Please save me from my amazon shopping basket! I have seen LED Lenser cheaper on ebay but some of the reviews are saying they are fake so I'd prefer not to take a chance as I don't know what the genuine item is like.

zombiesarecoming Wed 30-Dec-15 14:16:26

Personally I would go with maglites but modded with led bulb conversions as you are quite right in that the standard bulbs are crap

It does get pricey modifying maglites but the 6d with 1000 lumen conversion is very comforting to have by the side of the bed, both because I can illuminate the whole garden with it from the bedroom if I hear a noise outside and because it would make an impromptu weapon if needed

cozietoesie Wed 30-Dec-15 14:17:23

What would you actually need the light for? (Might inform the type of purchase.) And is it something you're going to need regularly? (is some posters have frequent power cuts as a commonplace.)

Eastpoint Wed 30-Dec-15 14:18:52

I just bought one of these for my father for Christmas, we have one & it's really good. It was £29.99 at Leyland if I recall correctly.

NewToNoContact Wed 30-Dec-15 14:49:03

I am going to be using it for powercuts, doing stuff at night when I can't use a headtorch, just pottering around really. We have frequent-ish powercuts due to where we live.

I normally keep one by the bed, one in the kitchen and one in my coat pocket.

I have a headtorch for the car and a huge thing that is a bit impractical. When I had to put the bonnet up at night recently I was in a lay-by by a busy road and I was very aware that I couldn't look around easily without shining the torch at other drivers so I especially want a handheld torch for the car.

Definitely not keen on more maglites, and I won't be clubbing anyone over the head with it, so looking for something a bit more compact and portable.

zombiesarecoming Wed 30-Dec-15 15:01:40

Ultrafire is the other brand I have been trying to think of for the last half hour

Something like this www.amazon.co.uk/ULTRAFIRE-CREE-LUMEN-FLASHLIGHT-TORCH/dp/B007V3RVF6

NewToNoContact Wed 30-Dec-15 19:34:47

Thank you, will have a look at those.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now