Topic Takeover - why did you become a prepper?

(21 Posts)
LadyMaryofDownt0n Sun 25-Oct-15 20:17:19

I became interested in prepping a few years ago after we had a terrible winter. We had a huge storm and ended up with no electric & frozen pipes. It was just the week before Christmas & lasted about 6 days. The pipes froze so we had no water, no toilet & no shower. No heating, no cooker... Nothing just a shell of a house. It was awful plus we live in the middle of no where so we couldn't just nip out & sort the problems.

I read up on things & decided I wouldn't be so unprepared the next time. So started prepping. Now I've a decent supply of food & water & also some candles/board games/torches/warm blankets etc.

So what prompted you to begin?

gaggiagirl Sun 25-Oct-15 23:53:13

Having no water on Christmas day. I boiled sprouts in melted snow that year. What if there is no snow to melt......yet prepping!

RosieCassMuggins Mon 26-Oct-15 00:12:19

I have to say, I really applaud the idea of Topic Takeover. Direct Action. Free the Preppers! Give them their Own Space! grin

Bananagrams is a damn good game to have, and takes up little space. Downside: may make you long for imported bananas.

FuckTheseSixFishInParticular Mon 26-Oct-15 00:41:31

No water on Christmas day here as well. Also previously living rurally and not being able to get out for a couple of days as well as prolonged powercuts, and before that living in the tropics in the typhoon zone!

LadyMaryofDownt0n Mon 26-Oct-15 10:44:25

Yes, Having no water at Christmas is a real eye opener and very frustrating!

Thanks Rosie Yes MNHQ give us our own space please.

Wow Fuck Thats sounds truly scary/awful i can totally understand the need for prepping after that.

FuckTheseSixFishInParticular Mon 26-Oct-15 13:25:47

Nah, none of it was that scary. Typhoons were a regular seasonal thing and it was a city, so it was pretty well prepared anyway. It was more a just in case thing that everyone was taught, and the the power cuts and bad winter weather were also regular enough to just build preparedness into regular routines.

It's habit rather than fear.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 26-Oct-15 13:34:22

The credit crunch really.

We live in the south east so being cut off by snow for more than a few days is unlikely, we aren't in a flooding area, no earthquakes likely etc, but the powerlessness I felt during the credit crunch worried me. Since then I've made a point of paying off debt etc, and getting ourselves in a position to get through the huge economic crash I am expecting to come!

That sparked my interest and opened my eyes to peak oil, pandemics, Putin, Gulf Stream, and all the other things that could make things go horribly wrong for us, when I started researching prepping.

I'm not obsessed by it by any stretch of the imagination, but my aim is to have a months supply of stuff without leaving the house. I quite like the planning.

ISpidersmanYouMeanPirate Mon 26-Oct-15 18:53:00

Reading The Second After- dystopian novel about an EMP bomb.

I Googled some prepper sites and got hooked wink

I Only prep for ordinary events though, not Armageddon ones.

winchester1 Tue 27-Oct-15 20:22:06

Power and water cut for 4 days with a bottle fed 3 month old. We were ok but it was close on the water although we could get more for ourselves I wasn't confortable using boiled snow / lake water for the babies milk. We do have our own supply but didn't have a pump at the time so snow was easier, we had shit loads of that.

swisscheesetony Tue 27-Oct-15 20:25:36

Seeing a glimpse of things to come eg energy crisis, water crisis, war, etc etc.

atticusclaw2 Tue 27-Oct-15 21:32:19

I am only a very amateur prepper really but for me it was seeing a very high level document recommending that senior officials have a three month supply of everything at the time of the swine flu outbreak.

That combined with reading The Road at about the same time.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 28-Oct-15 04:55:55

I was hoping someone would start this thread!

Three things, one of which I posted on the other thread,

I had a friend at University. I was still a bit young and dim. She was a refugee from the former Yugoslavia during the horror and in my head, this meant she had come from a 'war zone'. She got these new, really cutting edge sneakers and I was admiring them. I said, "wow I bet you couldn't get things like that is Sarajevo". She did this face hmm and said, "it was a cool, modern city before the war". It had never occurred to me that places could just collapse like that. In Europe.

Secondly, I read The Road and discussed it at my book group. People were firmly in two camps. One was 'find enough pills to give everyone' and the other was 'survive at all costs'. I was arguing the second position without means to actually do anything.

Third was moving in with DH. Canadian, living in an earthquake zone. Here it is considered pretty antisocial and irresponsible NOT to prep for at least 72 hours.

warmastoast Wed 28-Oct-15 11:04:08

I moved from uk to Malawi for a year soon after I married and had regular days and nights of no electricity (cue impromptu freezer clearing barbecues and candlelit suppers cooked over a coal pot on the porch). We also used to often visit a very rural community that had only recently acquired electricity at all bar a few buildings with solar panels/ generators and while we were there they had a serious water crisis with no running water for weeks, just filtered/ treated water straight from the lake. On the other hand they actually had a pretty good little library which happened to include a copy of Max Brooks The Zombie Survival Guide which kind of ate my brain ;)
With my new found knowledge I was even thinking of writing a little zombie story set there for a humanitarian zombie story contest at the time..

Anyway I learned that life can be manageable as it has been for millennia in places with natural resources but everyone will have to measure what standard of living they want to try and maintain, and no harm in extra comfort and efficiency if it's possible (am not much for lugging water or firewood for miles). The guys at Zulunkhuni River Lodge lived an amazing sustainable lifestyle in the most beautiful and isolated place- a pretty inspiring example [www.lake-paradise.com]

This time before going abroad (diff country) I spent way too long researching solar power generators and panels, but mostly I just have emergency back up stuff, off grid living capability is still a pipe dream.

LadyMaryofDownt0n Wed 28-Oct-15 20:11:24

Oh those books sound great I've been looking for a few but some seem a bit silly.

That must have been so hard with a baby. God knows it's difficult at times anyway.

Once we move house I'd really love to have my own power supply that's my ultimate goal & maybe a bunker?! If I win the lottery.

Atticus, that's interesting, I didn't know about the 3 month supply. It really makes me wonder what bubble we are living in.

atticusclaw2 Wed 28-Oct-15 20:12:45

If its good enough for senior civil servants its good enough for me...

atticusclaw2 Wed 28-Oct-15 20:18:03

There is a very slight chance that we possibly, maybe, potentially have a bunker in the garden.

We have a hatch, covered in grass but with a steel frame. Its not a septic tank or anything like that since its in completely the wrong place and we already have a septic tank elsewhere on the property. House is 1950s built and in the middle of a forest and so prime bunker building/cold war times.

I really want to get it open but DH thinks the fact that theres no obvious handle means it will be something boring and we'll then have a hatch in the middle of the lawn that we can't get closed again. Unfortunately I need manpower to open it.

Of course I know the real reason he won't open it is that he knows that when we do, the world is probably going to go all weird and "Lost" like and we'll be forced to move down there permanently and type long numbers into a computer for the rest of our lives. grin

winchester1 Wed 28-Oct-15 20:30:50

It was OK as we are in a a very self sufficent house and minus temps that we had at the time actually makes things easier as you don't worry about the freezers (we have 5).

Its was the quite and hours and hours of darkness (3pm to 10am) that were boring and scary for the baby. Lots of singing and leaving our worse torch stood in his room, turned on all night.

It was a bit boring for me, esp at first by the end I was sat reading by firelight at night, with a wine which was quite nice.

Oh we have an underround bunker, we use it store potatoes and root veg that we grow. Havn't managed much this yr, already eaten the ve and think potatoes will last until xmas, we normally do for the whole yr so hope to do more again next yr. (We've 2 toddlers at the mo')

winchester1 Wed 28-Oct-15 20:32:30

Oh OH told me today we can get to the water now just need to remove the cover he has set up the bucket etc. I guess he realsied how silly it was to have a well we couldn't acess and need water as well.

FuckTheseSixFishInParticular Wed 28-Oct-15 23:49:59

So if we don't hear from you for a while atticus should we assume that you opened the hatch and are stuck endlessly retyping the numbers into a machine to Save The World?

KatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 02-Nov-15 10:59:36

We are moving this over to our brand new Preppers topic in a mo grin <rubs hands>

Zetetic Mon 02-Nov-15 11:25:12

I read too much and have an over active imagination. Plus I got stranded in my car a couple of times. Also one big power cut.

Made up my mind to be prepared. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now