Topic Takeover - What do you keep in your car?

(31 Posts)
TheSlightlyEmbarrassedPrepper Fri 23-Oct-15 13:53:48

I have a lot of outdoor type gear in my car at all times*, such as boots and coats for everyone. I usually have water and some snacks but nothing drastic. I have the usual car maintenance stuff and first aid kit as well. I'm toying with the idea of doing a proper bag for the car but I only have a tiny hatchback so it will probably have to be removed frequently. What do you keep in your car and what is overkill?

*at all times when I am not going to the supermarket because I have to empty the boot to fit any shopping in.

flanjabelle Fri 23-Oct-15 13:55:07

You appear to have posted this in the Ebola topic...

Sgtmajormummy Fri 23-Oct-15 13:55:17

Why are you posting in "Ebola" ?

TheSlightlyEmbarrassedPrepper Fri 23-Oct-15 14:06:12

Oh no, sorry, I forgot to put Topic Takeover. I will report my post. Bet they don't change it!

flanjabelle Fri 23-Oct-15 14:27:50

Topic takeover? confused

TheSlightlyEmbarrassedPrepper Fri 23-Oct-15 14:30:11

Yes, we have taken over the little-used topic of Ebola to discuss emergency preparedness.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 23-Oct-15 14:32:42

I made DP put a folding shovel, space blanket, and some folding "tracks" in our car. They all fit under the front seats so don't really take up any space.

<definitely not a prepper>

LookingUpAtTheStars Fri 23-Oct-15 14:38:03

A fair amount of rubbish (mostly wrappers, receipts and old Google map printouts), at least one coat or jumper belonging to each member of the household, various half empty water bottles, a small animal bone ds found on a beach, wellies, random small toys.

My emergency plan is "call Dh" <fail>

Stratter5 Fri 23-Oct-15 14:43:30

All year round, a flucket containing first aid kit, foil blankets x4, water, chocolate, biscuits, 2 warning triangles, engine oil, screenwash, a foot pump, and a map book. There's also a couple of blankets in the boot.

In the winter I add a plastic shovel (lightweight mucking out one, they're ideal for snow shovelling), cat litter, coats, hats, and gloves. In the summer, I add in sunscreen and towels for impromptu beach visits.

winchester1 Fri 23-Oct-15 14:49:50

In the winter- blankets, shovel, spare petrol, screen wash, bottled water, torches, car heater, ice scrapper, first aid kit (always there), some snacks for kids, random spare shoes, coats, jumpers, gloves, hats, ear defenders confused,
This gradually depletes over the spring and summer and then gradually builds throughout autumn.
I'm not in the UK and getting stuck in snow I quite common and generally involves finding and paying a farmer to get you out when they have time.

atticusclaw2 Fri 23-Oct-15 16:50:16

We'll convert you itsallgoingtobefine. Hang around the ebola prepping board for a while and we'll get you hooked grin

I bought an aa emergency beacon/seatbelt cutter/windscreen smasher today for each car. They are a good price at the moment.

Along with the things others have listed I also always have four tealights and some matches. If you get stuck in snow the warmth from one tealight can make a big difference in a car.

atticusclaw2 Fri 23-Oct-15 16:54:21

Ooo look they changed the thread title! Topic takeover is official! <waves at MNHQ and gives them a little poke about our own board> grin

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 23-Oct-15 16:58:18

Nothing at the moment. Very bad. And need to address it.

Thanks OP, will nick everybody's ideas.

IAmAPaleontologist Fri 23-Oct-15 17:03:56

Each car has a warning triangle, high vis vests, a foot pump, ice scraper, deicer. Really should add first aid kit and other bits and bobs.

IAmAPaleontologist Fri 23-Oct-15 17:04:12

Oh and a folding shovel

tomatodizzy Fri 23-Oct-15 17:21:34

Nothing much. A fire extinguisher, a first aid kit and a triangle (but we are supposed to carry those). The dogs car harness, a spare booster and a fold up buggy, I also have a few cigerette lighter plugs for phones/electronics,CD's the car documents and some loose change.

My car has bullet proof glass though, do I get special points for that?

DH has a fire estinguisher, first aid kit, triangle, emergency food rations, a blanket, emergency foil shelter, a raincoat, a machete, a large set of screwdrivers, suncream, a first aid kit, a pen, a single match, a bottle of water, three pain killers, a ratchet hook, lots of wrappers, a few leaves, an inch of dust, a toilet roll and a flare.

atticusclaw2 Fri 23-Oct-15 19:06:23

There are definitely special points for bullet proof glass

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 24-Oct-15 16:21:57

I was just talking to DH about this. We have a first aid kit, some spare clothes and nothing else. We are sort of relying on the big one happening while we are all at home and near the bags. I think we need stuff in the shed and car.

atticusclaw2 Sat 24-Oct-15 18:22:35

I think having a full kit on the car is only really practical for people with larger vehicles. My car kit is just for winter weather emergencies. If there was any other problem the aim for me would be to get home one way or another.

FuckTheseSixFishInParticular Sun 25-Oct-15 18:25:40

We've got a box with jump leads, a tow rope, blankets, scraper, de iccer, big torches, emergency triangle, first aid kit (both qualified first aiders for work), foil blankets, a folding shovel which also has a little saw bit on it. We also usually have a rapidly disintegrating map book, bottles of water and I have a window smasher/seatbelt cutter thingy on my keyring kit.

We also have big padded fluorescent dog walking jackets, a head torch and a two person thermos which we put in if we're going to be doing a long journey or travelling at night.

I keep meaning to add a portable phone charger and a wind up radio, in case we get stuck and need to conserve the car battery. Also I should remember to put a bag of cat littler or grit in, good point!

ThomasRichard Tue 27-Oct-15 22:01:24

I've got a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, folding shovel, jump leads, hi-vis, warning triangle, grip mats, tow rope and a glass hammer/seatbelt cutter. I don't want loads of clutter but some chocolate, water and a blanket would be a good idea too.

atticusclaw2 Tue 27-Oct-15 22:06:09

my aa emergency torch/beacon/seatbelt cutter/windscreen smashers arrived today. They're very good quality. Im impressed

CakeNinja Fri 30-Oct-15 11:46:23

What do I keep in my car??

An old buggy with a wheel missing, a reusable shopping bag, empty fruit shoot bottle, some mcdonalds ketchup sachets, kirby grips, hair bobbles, sticky rhubarb and custard sweets. Oh, and a tonne of wrappers and rubbish.
I don't even have a first aid kit in my house, let alone a spare for the car!!

BrandNewAndImproved Fri 30-Oct-15 11:50:56

Water proof fold up anoraks, wellies and a blanket. It's not really for emergencies like breakdowns more for small emergencies like it's raining or impromptu picnic.

Blu Fri 30-Oct-15 22:21:35

The National Trust Handbook.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now