Grade 3 bleed on the brain

(3 Posts)
LBNM19 Fri 11-Nov-16 21:28:10

Found out today my 28 weeker has a grade 3 bleed on both sides of he's brain. The consultant said they don't no if it will improve by itself or get worse and he may need a shunt.

By may cause long lasting brain damage i am obviously very upset, he is 18 days old and they will now be measuring he's head daily and doing weekly headscan.

Has anyone else's baby had the same?

3littlebadgers Fri 11-Nov-16 21:38:04

I'm so sorry you are going through this, no helpful advise just a little bump and a hand to hold until someone else comes along flowers

EyeoftheStorm Sat 12-Nov-16 22:34:18

Yes we had exactly the same with DS2 born at 30 weeks. He did develop hydrocephalus and needed a shunt at 6 months but the docs thought he might not need one and it would sort itself out. It is so awful at the time because it's all so unknown but he is 7 now and we've never had a problem with the shunt. You would never know he had one.

He hasn't got off scot free - his motor skills aren't great but just on the low end of the range and we think he might have dyslexia but he is a chatty, sociable, happy boy.

I know exactly where you are now - it is an overwhelming thought, a bleed on your child's brain. But the brain is amazing and the docs will be keeping a close eye on your DC. I think DS2s outcomes were so good because everyone was doing everything they could to manage things as quickly as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now