Getting ready to go home from NICU, would love some advise about respiration monitors

(7 Posts)
fitzbilly Wed 24-Aug-16 10:43:24

Hi, I know I might sound paranoid, but after everything we've been through, we feel having a respiration/breathing monitor would really reassure us.

In NICU he has a great one, with a sensor attached to his belly, and a hand held monitor so it is always on him.

I'd really like something like that, rather then the monitor that are sensory pads under the mattress, did anyone have experience?

What did other people use? Can anyone offer any help?

Thanks

Unlockable Wed 24-Aug-16 10:46:03

We came home with a sensor with a blue dot sticky thing. We also had an oxygen sats monitor
What do hospital say?

fitzbilly Wed 24-Aug-16 12:39:07

Hospital say it is up to us, there are no specific concerns over his breathing and that we can use one for our own pace mind but he doesn't have any reason to need one medically speaking!

PotteringAlong Wed 24-Aug-16 12:41:24

I think if there's no medical reason to have one then you take that as the answer. You don't want to over medicalise your child or create anxiety where there is no need for it.

pisaleaner Sat 27-Aug-16 09:54:41

Agree, if not advised to do so then don't get one. I was in this position and quickly decided that 'that way madness lies'.

RTKangaMummy Sat 27-Aug-16 10:00:41

We were given one when DS came home from NNU ICU

It was from a charity but I can't remember the name of them

It was a belt that went around his tummy that monitored his breathing and beeped with each breath and also had an alarm of continuous beeeeeeeeep if he stopped iyswim

It was more than 20 years ago so the charity might not still exist

We borrowed it then returned it with a donation

Good luck

namechangedtoday15 Thu 01-Sep-16 16:23:12

We bought one, well two (or rather I did) - can't remember the brand - but like you, there was no other reason to have one other than my peace of mind. Actually though, we never used them. H managed to persuade me (rightly with the benefit of hindsight) that I had to get used to the babies being at home. I can't lie, it wasn't easy, I kneeled up at their cot bed for the first night watching them breathe. It isn't an easy transition when you've had constant monitoring for weeks. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now