First ds was premature, what is the likelihood that the second will be too?

(25 Posts)
HarrysMummy17 Sun 17-Jan-16 11:52:44

Hi,
I'm currently 23 weeks pregnant with ds2.

Ds1 was born at 32+4. There were no obvious reasons for him to be born that early. He came very quickly when I was home alone do I had to deliver him myself.
We then spent 4 weeks in scu to establish bf.

I'm worried I will have this one early too and I'm wondering what others have experienced with the second pregnancy after a premature first birth.

My hospital bag will be packed early this time so I don't have to go to hospital with just a pair of pyjamas and a pair or trainers confused

I've got an appointment with the consultant at 32 weeks to see how everything is going.

10storeylovesong Tue 19-Jan-16 06:34:35

Following! I gave birth at 27 weeks with my ds and found out today that I'm pregnant again. I'm terrified the same thing will happen and would love to hear other people's stories.

Confusedandbaffled Tue 19-Jan-16 06:52:05

All my 4dc were premature blush which Perhaps isn't what you want to hear! All for the same reason though - are you under consultant care? What is their impression?

My friend had a baby at 27 weeks and then her second was 41 weeks so it doesn't always happen twice smile

amyboo Tue 19-Jan-16 08:24:45

DS3 was born by EMCS at 31+5 for no obvious reason and then spent 5 weeks in the neonatal unit. DD1 was born 3 months ago and with her I was put on sick leave from 32 weeks and given steroid injections at 36 weeks in case of early delivery. She was eventually both as planned by ELCS at 38 weeks. I was maybe a slightly different case, as DS2 had died in utero at 37 weeks for no reason. So I was never going to go to term with either DS3 or DD1. DS3 was also born 10 months after we lost DS2, so I think the stress of the pregnancy might have contributed to his early arrival...

amyboo Tue 19-Jan-16 08:25:20

"born as planned" not "both as planned"!

HarrysMummy17 Tue 19-Jan-16 09:31:08

amy I'm sorry you've had a rough time thanks

Thank you for the replies ladies. I am under the consultant but am not seeing her now until 32 weeks which is when ds1 was born.

I'm just going to make sure I'm prepared this time! Make sure the hospital bag is ready and there are mats on the matters this time blush

I also know what the warning signs are this time. I just had pain in my legs before any labour pains started and after that ds was born within 30 minutes!

emmy4 Tue 19-Jan-16 09:34:00

My daughter was born ar 33+1 after an abruption, my second was born on his due date but I had convinced myself he would come earlysmile

minipie Tue 19-Jan-16 20:30:47

DD1 arrived suddenly at 34+0 (waters went, swiftly followed by contractions). I was assured by various doctors it was almost certainly a one off, probably due to a minor infection.

DD2 arrived at 36+6 (waters went, swiftly followed by contractions). Clearly it was not a one off with DD1 - though 36+6 is not bad at all.

Still no idea why.

shock at delivering him yourself. Well done you.

firefly78 Tue 19-Jan-16 20:34:53

my daughter was born at 31+2 due to pre-eclampsia so i was able to manage my second pregnancy with daily aspirin and got to 41+2 so slightly different but at least its not such a shock second time

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 26-Jan-16 13:58:04

My first was premature and like you I didn't see the consultant until really late on which didn't help.
Mine was slightly different in that at the 20 week scan they could see I didn't have the same placenta problem. But then something rare came up in the 28 week bloods and I had 2 weekly consultant appointments with a chance of delivering early.
As it turned out I had an ELCS just a couple of days before my due date. If it wasn't for the blood problem I might even have gone overdue!

I found the pregnancy very stressful though and had treatment about my first birth. Packed my bag at 25 weeks. I also felt awful at the gestation I delivered at last time, and my sons due date. The last month or so of pregnancy was very weird for me. People kept saying the eating curry nonsense when I really wanted to keep baby in.

Hope all goes well

Poppyred85 Sat 30-Jan-16 10:13:57

My ds was born at 30+2 after I had an abruption. I had a debrief when he was about 6 months old and was told if I had another child I would be seen by consultant early on and be given steroids at 28 weeks just in case. Will you be seeing your GP for routine check at 25 weeks? If so you could speak to them about your worries and they may be able to contact the consultant. Otherwise you can contact your midwife to see if you could see the consultant sooner than 32 weeks.

Fjlb Tue 02-Feb-16 16:48:35

@harrysmummy17 I'm 10 weeks with no 2 now. Ds1 was born at 34 weeks after trying to stop labour for 2 days. I was also born at 34 weeks so not sure if it's genetic.

Midwife put me consultant led. Will they do anything different to midwife led? I dread having a prem baby in hospital and leaving my little boy at home sad

My only hope is this time I'm not working full time or moving house whilst pregnant.

Google says about the cervical stitch but I assume this would be for ladies who are likely to have much more prem littlies?

islemum Tue 02-Feb-16 17:18:26

Out of my 4dc only 1 was prem at 26 weeks. Still don't know why.

sw15mum Wed 03-Feb-16 17:00:29

DS was born at 36 weeks so not too premature. The consultant said 30% chance of another early baby but I had no special treatment etc...DD was born at 34+4. I was definitely more prepared for DD to be early. No apparent reason why they both came early and no long term effects. DD who was earlier was far better at feeding etc. and was in scuba for a couple of days. With DS he was on the normal ward. steroid treatment when went into labour with DD. DD who was earlier was far better at feeding etc.

MewlingQuim Wed 03-Feb-16 17:08:47

No idea what the actual statistics are, but my friend had her first at 32 weeks then had an uneventful second pregnancy and gave birth at 41weeks.

She did have her hospital bag packed really early though. She was understandably nervous from about 30 weeks.

Electrocute Thu 17-Mar-16 21:13:05

I had my dd at 31 weeks due to a really bad urine infection (they thought that was the reason anyway, couldn't be sure!). When I fell pregnant with ds I was under consultant care from my 12 week scan onwards and seen very regularly with extra scans too. My consultant told me that although the chances of a premature birth are increased if you've previously had one, it's only actually increased by about 10%. As it turned out I had ds at 35+6 because I developed obstetric cholestasis at 30 weeks. Hope it all goes well for you op flowers x

OhIfIMust Mon 25-Apr-16 21:46:27

My DS was born 29 wks after PPROM 27 weeks. I'm now nearly 27 weeks pregnant again. Have been under consultant since 13 weeks. Have had steroid injections for baby's lungs already and getting lots of extra scans. Hoping to make it a bit further this time!

soapboxqueen Mon 25-Apr-16 21:52:29

I think your chances of another premature delivery depend on why your first was prem.

My first was born at 32 weeks. No reason. Second was born at 35 weeks. No consultant care or anything.

MiaowTheCat Fri 29-Apr-16 13:24:12

DD1 was born at 33 weeks. DD2 I started to have the same niggles I'd had with DD1 at the same point and because of the history they took me seriously, did the partus? test that showed I had a likelihood of labour starting soon and gave me steroids/drip to hold things off to buy time to get the steroids done. She then hung on in stop-start early labour till 36 weeks.

I've concluded I've just got a badly set oven timer.

HarrysMummy17 Sun 01-May-16 21:01:29

Thanks for all of the replies.

Just an update that ds2 arrived at 36+3. He held on a bit longer than his brother managed!

minipie Mon 02-May-16 21:59:05

Congratulations! Huge difference between 32 wker and 36 wker as you are no doubt finding out. Hopefully you had some help with the birth this time!

HarrysMummy17 Wed 04-May-16 09:56:28

Ds2 was still born at home as he also decided to come very quickly and not even wait for the paramedics. Luckily daddy was on hand this time to deliver him!

HarrysMummy17 Wed 04-May-16 10:38:58

Ds2 was still born at home as he also decided to come very quickly and not even wait for the paramedics. Luckily daddy was on hand this time to deliver him!

minipie Wed 04-May-16 14:49:01

shock grin

BumpAndGrind Fri 10-Jun-16 18:28:27

I can now add to this thread!

DD1 was born at 31+3, no reason found.

DD2 was born yesterday at 33+5.

I labour quite quickly so no time to slow down either birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now