Bottle feeding question? Tommee Tippee/ Dr Browns?

(6 Posts)
Rebecca1608 Wed 24-Jun-15 19:34:21

I did post in the pregnancy forum but i was just after some advice. My twin girls were born at 35 weeks. 29th May they are now almost a month old. ADD would have been 3rd July. I was feeding them with Tommee Tippee bottles and have changed to Dr Browns. Sometimes they are restless. Seem full of wind and in pain. No matter how long i wind them for that was the reason for my bottle change. Anyone else using Dr Browns?

McWeedie Wed 24-Jun-15 19:46:10

I used Dr Brown's for my premmie twins 33+3 they are nearly 3 now, didn't have a particular problem with wind, I did find that with DS if I bounced him gently on my knee whilst kind of drumming my fingers all over his back I could get a lot more wind out. DD on the other hand I just patted her back.

Are you holding the bottle at the wrong angle, maybe hold it at a higher angle. I was told by the nurses in SCBU to not spend more than about 10 minutes on burping.

Rebecca1608 Wed 24-Jun-15 20:08:43

Thanks McWeedie i'll try the drumming next feed. I do hold the bottle on a higher angle and the girls seem to feed better with Dr Brown but are a bit sicky after the milk. I've changed from SMA gold to SMA easy to digest one and i don't know whether to keep going for a couple of days or change back?

McWeedie Wed 24-Jun-15 20:56:47

I can't really answer that as my two were on Nutriprem (premmie formula) which I had no problem with, if I ever ran out I used Cow & Gate. It's probably going to be a case of trial and error to find one that suits. Is there much sick? With DS he had reflux and seemed to be in a lot of pain and didn't feed well and vomited profusely. I got them little pod seats to sit in (Leachco Podster) which I got from Amazon US, bit like a Boppy pillow but better. I would sit them in them to feed them and leave them in it for a while after so they could digest their milk - seemed to help - I would really recommend them.

elizabethsmum Tue 30-Jun-15 20:55:38

My dts were also born at similar gestation- ds had terrible silent reflux (to start it was silent although later became full on voms after certain feeds)- worst feeds were usually 10am/2pm/6pm ones. I had to hold him upright over my shoulder for half an hour after each at least. his twin sister meanwhile was fine. changed his bottle to start from Avnet to Dr Brown and it helped for a few days a little but not a great deal of improvement. then changed his formula from cow & gate 1 to cow & gate comfort. only problem with this was that couldn't get comfort formula to go through Dr Brown filter thing as it was too thick!! eventually went back to avent bottle with a Tesco faster flow teat on, using comfort formula (with gaviscon at every feed). had two on different formulas with different bottles and teats- admit this was nearly enough to send me over the edge at the time tho! xx

artisanroast Wed 30-Dec-15 23:02:44

My DD was born at 35+5 and we breast feed and feed expressed milk. I use mimijumi bottles and I think they are fab. They are designed so, similar to a breast, the baby has to 'work ' to get the milk. This results in less swallowing of sir so the baby is less burpy (or at least that's what I have found).

I would highly recommend looking into the mimijumi bottles. I love them as I truly believe they helped me and my daughter establish BF. We bottle fed first and then hav to learn to BF.

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now