Kangaroo Mama's (aka missed out on NCT group)

(82 Posts)
Valdeeves Mon 24-Feb-14 16:33:39

How's your Monday ladies?
I am Mumsnetting for five mins after
swimming lesson (wrestling other child poolside) soft play and Stay and Play. These kids want more! Need five mins to switch my brain off.
We are watching Nina and The Neurons - that girl clearly does her own hair and make up.

MiaowTheCat Wed 26-Feb-14 11:29:05

I've went down the sweet potato as the first food route with both of mine - they've both seemed to like it. Mine are now much older - my 33 weeker is two in April and my 36 weeker (but I'm still convinced they got the scan dates out on that one) is one next month. Cannot wait till I don't have to fart on with stinky Neocate bottles anymore (DD2 is acutely milk-intolerant)... waiting for the dietician to call me back as she's actually beginning to refuse that formula now but needs to keep watch on her vitamin intake with having no dairy so we're going to have to add in vitamin and calcium supplements I think - hopefully she calls so I can get out this afternoon, if not - quite afternoon and find something good to watch on Netflix I think.

heartonsleeve Wed 26-Feb-14 11:34:27

Fraggle - we tried baby rice to begin with on it's own - and he didn't like that, so then we tried it mixed with apple I think, and that went down okay. But we soon dropped it altogether and I still have half the packet left! We tried sweet potato fairly early on and it went down fast! I guess my advice would be to just get whatever you try as smooth as possible to begin with - though now (about a month in) he tolerates it quite thick and sticky (think mashed banana).

I'm making Bolognese for tea, and I'm just debating whether to separate some out before the tabasco goes in for him to try...!

MultipleMama Wed 26-Feb-14 13:18:14

Thank you, Fraggle. 24 years young and all that! grin

Picked my dad up from the airport this morning, took me 30 minutes to all 6DC in the car... Apollo screamed, Dieter threw a tantrum - which made Apollo worse, and dd1 refused to get in her seat. Both cried the whole 30 minutes to the airport... however they were good as gold when my dad got in, even Apollo! I can't win. Was going to have quiet day but ds1 wanted to bake so we're baking which is so much harder with a baby on 02 strapped to your chest! Haha.

Welcome, ladies smile

missali - Apollo is allergic to ibuprofen and latex, so we're told to expect food allergies later on, they say some grow out of some of their allergies so I hope this applies to you in future.

When we weaned the boys (non preemie) they'd eat nothing put select fruits for months, despite trying them with porridge and veggies.

MultipleMama Wed 26-Feb-14 13:22:52

So, I've just realised I may be confusing everybody with names and terms so just to make it easier, because no doubt I'll be mentioning other dc in relation to my preemies, so gunna list nn below.

ds1 - K
dd1 - A
ds2&3 - the boys or Dee and Dom - ID twins.
dd2 & ds4 - Artie & Halo (We nn Apollo A'lo but the DC call him Halo) - preemie twins.

Hope you ladies have a lovely day! smile

livenlet Wed 26-Feb-14 13:59:14

Hi baby was born at 32 weeks and was so addictid to oxygen we had to bring it home with us , she all good now though and bigger than others her age . Im in berkshire valdeeves I think it amazing your running marathon, I couldnt run for a bus. Is it Reading . Happy birthday to mmama

missali Wed 26-Feb-14 17:54:43

Feeding has been tricky...but it's making me make all of his food homemade...though I do use some of the Ella's kitchen fruit sachets as desserts when were out and about as they're so much easier. Breakfast wise he started on mushed banana with some baby rice...then on the advice of the dietician we tried ready brek..which he turned out to be allergic to, so now it's weetabix- which he loves! Rest of his meals are just meals that we have such as roast dinners that have been blended then frozen into portions. I am just very careful to introduce new foods one at a time so we can watch for any reactions...

Valdeeves Wed 26-Feb-14 23:19:00

Happy birthday MMama! Did you do anything nice?
Had a tough day but luckily can still run with knee after session with and talk to Sports Therapist - going to be painful though!
Both my babies were prem but I found weaning with my youngest ( and earliest) the strangest. She took a while to receive the spoon before we even got on to get actually eating anything. We gave her baby rice first as her gullet has been so sensitive - I used to have to change her clothes six times a day as she was so sick - sometimes more.
Just watched TV and eaten way too much comfort food tonight - need to lay off the sugar, but it's my best friend when I'm stressed.

Any nice plans coming up for the wkend?? Xxxx

Valdeeves Wed 26-Feb-14 23:32:35

Baby rice! Sorry this is short but I don't think my first post worked.
Happy birthday MMama - what did you get up to?
Xxxxxxx

Valdeeves Wed 26-Feb-14 23:33:32

It did work! Yes it's Reading Livenlet xxxx

MultipleMama Thu 27-Feb-14 09:33:01

I had wonderful birthday, was made special by having my dad and Halo here.

From my dad I got these gorgeous black and white diamand skull earrings. I just want to go somewhere fancy so I can wear them! From DH, he managed to sneakily take a picture of all the DC and have it printed and framed for our bedroom. Made me cry!

And from DC I got t-shirt that they had decorated themselves in hand prints and footprints... and even a sneaky butt print that suspiciously looks like's Dom's. Currently wearing it, I love it! Best gift ever. From PiL and BiL I got money, same for my family in Russia and my DB and DBiL I got a few books written in Russian - I love books!

It was an exhausting day on hardly no sleep but I really enjoyed it.

Today, dad is taking the DC (minus Artie&Halo) to soft play while I shop and spend my b.day money!

How are you lovely ladies today? Xx

missali Thu 27-Feb-14 09:47:52

Sounds like you had a lovely day, and such a thoughtful family! We're having a quiet day today, as we're off on holiday next week before I go back to work. I'm a teacher, so it's the only time we'll ever get to have a cheap holiday!

FraggleRock77 Thu 27-Feb-14 10:28:28

How many languages do you speak MMama? Sounds like you had a fab day.
I'm off to our first baby group today. Fingers crossed DS behaves!!! Xx

livenlet Thu 27-Feb-14 10:31:17

Mmama sounds like a great day I just love real pesonal gifts, the older of my 2 girls has a birthday party at the weekend apart from that will be cheering on a couple of friends who are running (crawling) Reading on sunday, when I weened the little one she gaged on everything pediatrition told me let her play in the food aparently touching feeling the food stop them gaging so much, she still goes alittle sick now at 15 months but its nowhere near as much as ehen she was little baby , I dont miss thoes projectile vomit days

MultipleMama Thu 27-Feb-14 11:07:16

Fraggle - I'm fluent English, German, and Russian, and a little bit of Swedish and Icelandic. I also know Sign Language in Baby, British, German, Russian. Have fun and I hope you enjoy yourself! smile

livenlet - I love personal gifts too.

I've been lucky that all though the DC have been fussy they've never had problems with food. Although I have a sneaky suspicion that Artie & Halo are going to be PITAs when the time comes!

We have Artie & Halo's eye appointment on Wednesday were they'll need drops... that should be fun...

livenlet Thu 27-Feb-14 11:26:31

Mmama I love you dcs names , I always feel mean when we have those sorts of appointments , we have injections next week though they are slightly late the little ones immune system isnt as good as the big ones , she gets every little cold or bug going so we keep putting injects off,

MultipleMama Thu 27-Feb-14 12:18:16

Aw thank you, I have more people telling me that they don't like there names but DH and I have never been conventional at naming! smile

I feel the same! Halo is hypersensitive mostly his eyes and ears so I'm dreading what production he preforms for the staff! I hope your LOs shots go okay it's so horrible to watch sad

livenlet Thu 27-Feb-14 13:22:40

All that matters is if you like them , My girls both have boys names obviusly I love them but somepeoples faces when they here them , she has plenty of fat on her legs so shoulnt be to bad.

Pipsmilkmaid Thu 27-Feb-14 14:41:33

Sounds like a lovely birthday Mama.

We've had a nice walk in the sun bumped into most of the other mums from the breastfeeding group all off to a weaning talk felt a bit sad their babies are all ds corrected age so we have already been to the talk and started with solids. Don't really fit in with that group plus the all seem to have limitless money where going to Costa is concerned.

DS is enjoying doing blw or at least my version of it! We had a messy fun breakfast with mango, toast and yogurt. I'm lucky he hasn't had any allergies although Turkey seems to have blocked him up so I'm holding back on meat for a couple of weeks.

Hope the injections go well and the baby group was good for you Fraggle.

MultipleMama Thu 27-Feb-14 14:43:48

A has a unisex name but with the boy spelling as DH didn't like the double ee at the end. I bet your girls have lovely names smile

FraggleRock77 Thu 27-Feb-14 15:15:57

Hey Pip. It was ok. My name and DS's age was announced first in the group with the facilitator commenting about DS being a prem. So no hiding it! I'm going to keep going. It gave me some confidence to attend some more groups next wk xxx It all seems a little forced though. You have a baby so you're expected to make friends! X

FraggleRock77 Thu 27-Feb-14 15:17:25

Sorry to hear you were feeling sad Pip. Everything costs so much. Water Babies/Baby Massage/Baby Singing!!! Xxx

Pipsmilkmaid Thu 27-Feb-14 15:56:39

Thanks Fraggle I'm ok will be seeing the other NICU mummies next week was just late in joining the click I guess. Glad your group went well our local library does a free rhyme session which I'm going to try when ds is over.
I love water babies it's great fun though I was shocked at the underwater photo cost they're more then a terms lessons.

Valdeeves Thu 27-Feb-14 21:32:45

Hi Pip, are you feeling better now? Limped around the park with my youngest today after music group. Watching a horror movie before bed - must be mad!!
Glad you had a nice bday MMama xxxx

Pipsmilkmaid Thu 27-Feb-14 23:21:27

Hi Val. A lot better thank you. How's your knee doing?

MultipleMama Fri 28-Feb-14 07:41:56

Hey ladies.

Val - I love horror movies but I hate watching them before bed. I hope your knee is okay.

I am in A&E. Halo was struggling to breathe last night. His oxgyen and nebulizers didn't seem to be working as he kept sucking his chest in. Results are back; he has a chest infection. He was only discharged last week! sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now