Sodium feredetate

(3 Posts)
Bankholidaybaby Thu 21-Nov-13 18:00:49

I have a little boy who was born at 33+1. He's now 12 weeks old. I've been giving him sodium feredetate since 4weeks along with Dalivit and folic acid just before his evening feed. Recently I found out that the iron absorption is affected by milk. If you give the same supplement, how abd when do you do so? Thanks

NowFourSpuds Sat 23-Nov-13 10:52:25

I haven't heard that milk can affect iron absorbtion, in the NICU the nurses used to mix the Sytron & Dalivit in with their milk feeds so we did the same when my prem twins came home. Then we put it into a yogurt or fruit purée as their milk intake dropped. Do you have a community nurse from NICU you could ask?

Dildals Fri 07-Mar-14 21:25:53

Hi,

The Norfolk and Norwich hospitals leaflet says 'Do not give the medicine at the same time as a milk feed or with food containing milk or dairy products as the medicine will not be absorbed as well.' (This is about Sytron, which is the same as sodium feredetate.)

I must say that my hospital never told me anything about this either. I tend to give it to her with an oral syringe whenever it happens to fit in our day, which sometimes is before a milk feed.

I will ask the paediatrician next week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now