At what age did your premature baby walk?

(30 Posts)
FieryChipotle Mon 05-Aug-13 09:19:26

Just that really!

My twins were born at 31 weeks and are now 17 months. DT2 has just started walking but DT1 drops to his feet in a dramatic fashion if you try to help him walk! He will walk one day... right?!

topknob Mon 05-Aug-13 09:20:16

Ds3 was 8 weeks prem, he didn't walk until he was about 18 months..we had to help him alot xx

My twins were born at 34 weeks and still not crawling at 10 months. DT2 tries hard to crawl, DT1 shows no interest whatsoever and is happy to sit on her bum and smile at the world. I am guessing they will be really late walkers too.

Thereonthestair Mon 05-Aug-13 10:45:34

Have you had any flags for anything else. How were the rest of the gross motor skills. Sitting crawling etc

Many many prem babies walk but walk late, many prems have other issues weak core muscles (tummy) being the main one

MiaowTheCat Mon 05-Aug-13 12:28:48

DD1 - 2 months prem. Crawled at 11 months, pulled to stand at 13 and started cruising with serious intent at 14 months. Not quite walking yet - in the last week (15 months this week) she's started happily toddling along holding your hands and she'll do so holding one hand and a couple of times I've caught her looking like she's going to let go to try to get to me, only to bottle it and drop to her knees and crawl.

Her father was a very very late walker/lazy git though.

FieryChipotle Mon 05-Aug-13 19:26:09

Thereonthestair - I've not noticed any other flags as such. He cruises quite happily but he just drops to the floor if we try to stand him up, which I find a bit odd tbh!

FieryChipotle Mon 05-Aug-13 19:28:01

Oh and thanks everyone for your replies! My eldest was a slow walker (15 months, full termer) but he had other issues so I'm hoping DT1's lack of interest is down to prematurity, which does seen to be the norm... I hope!

TallyGrenshall Mon 05-Aug-13 19:29:19

DS was 8 weeks early and walked at 16 months. He cruised for ages, resisted all attempts to help and then just went one day

MiaowTheCat Mon 05-Aug-13 19:30:56

We went through the dropping to the floor thing a couple of weeks ago - she's just suddenly flicked over to walking along holding hands in the last week or so.

ipswichwitch Mon 05-Aug-13 19:30:57

DS born at 32 weeks took first steps at 14 months and also sat up unaided at the same time. He had no interest in crawling (I think too many attempts at bastard tummy time put him off being on his front for life!!!), he would bum shuffle. He only ever started crawling after he mastered walking.

FieryChipotle Mon 05-Aug-13 19:35:06

There's hope for my DT1 yet then, Meowthecat!

Dts were 7 weeks early, dd walked at 11 months and ds at 13 months.

PollyPlummer Mon 05-Aug-13 19:45:32

My dt1 sounds very similar to yours. Happy to cruise but didn't want to stand or walk independently till around 17, 18 months. He was very fast crawling and would also cruise then crawl when needed.
He took his first step when dt2 hurt himself. Stood up and took a step towards him to rub his back. Poor dt2 looked at us like we were evil fuckers for cheering when he had hurt himself.
After a couple of weeks we couldn't see any difference between him and dt2
If you're really worried speak to your hv or paed. They will be able to reassure you more than we will.

Ds3 born at 32 weeks, restricted growth prior to this and he finally took his first unaided steps two weeks before his 2nd birthday. He walked on his knees from 16 months.

lotsofcheese Mon 05-Aug-13 20:03:30

DS is an ex-29 weeker, he weighed only 720g. He walked at 14 months corrected (17 months actual).

His full term daddy walked at 17 months!

annie987 Mon 05-Aug-13 20:04:31

My twins were born at 29+0.
My son walked at 27 months and my daughter at 20 months.

MrsPear Mon 05-Aug-13 20:59:45

DS 1 was born 10 weeks early. At 11 months actual he started walking around the furniture by his birthday he was walking with a walker. It took nearly 4 months for him to let go of the walker then he was off! He has not slowed since! DS 2 is only 9 1/2 months actual (9 weeks early) or 7 1/2 months and is not sitting yet but does dry swimming and rolling so moves in his own special way grin

CelticPromise Mon 05-Aug-13 21:27:30

My teeny 27 weeker walked just before he was two. He doesn't do anything quickly, he's fine though smile

mymatemax Tue 06-Aug-13 00:33:05

ds2 was born at 28 wks. He rolled over at a yr never really crawled. sat up but still very floppy at about 14 months.
Had a very strange wobbly walk from about 19/20 months but remained unsteady.
He has mild CP, Autism & learning difficulties.
TBH it wasn't the lateness that caused the concern it was the disordered development, the unusual way he moved & the floppiness that caused concern.
A little later than average is very normal for prem babies but as long as there are no other worries then it may just be a case of patience smile

HepsibarCrinkletoes Tue 06-Aug-13 00:49:18

DS born at 28 weeks walked at 17m (14 corrected). He couldn't be arsed with crawling, preferring instead to get his older sisters to fetch and carry. He still does that, only now he gets them to drive him everywhere/buy him beer!

My 26 weeker walked at 10m corrected shock. He weighed about 10lb at the time. People did complete double takes seeing him walk for months grin.

FieryChipotle Wed 07-Aug-13 15:06:19

Wow Penguin! I think I would have done a double-take too!

Well I took DTs to the park yesterday and DT1 was so desperate to join in with some big boys that he tried to walk!!! grin

Albaba Sun 11-Aug-13 20:17:44

ANNIE987. Can I just ask if there was any medical reason why your twins walked late especially your son not walking until 27 months and were you worried about this? I have 22 month old twin girls. One has been walking from around 19 months. The other is still not walking at 22 months. She attends physio and can pull to stand and can cruise while holding onto furniture. They were born at 33 weeks. She is the only baby of their age that I know that cannot walk. It is really disheartening to see others of their age walking and running about and my daughter just sitting there. She can crawl but I feel people look at her and think "why are you crawling and not walking, you are too big to be crawling" A few nosey people have even asked why she doesn't walk and we have just fobbed them off but its hard and sometimes I feel like I am the only one with a baby that doesn't walk.

xxxxmrsxxxx Mon 12-Aug-13 00:29:34

DGS born at 34 weeks, 5lb 1oz, walked at 10.5 months (9 months corrected).

Secretswitch Mon 12-Aug-13 00:33:21

My ds was born at 32 weeks. Started walking at eleven months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now