Any other questions for consultant?

(4 Posts)
plentyofsoap Sat 06-Jul-13 16:00:16

This is my second pregnancy after a preterm birth with ds at 33 weeks and no cause for this could be found. I have already had one consultants appointment already and all they will do is scan me at 30 weeks. That is it and I'm not sure if I should be pushing for more?

MiaowTheCat Sun 07-Jul-13 08:58:44

That's pretty much all I got, that and the absolutely rage-inducing "oh well if they come at 33 weeks it's not really a problem anyway".

What DID happen was that I was taken much more seriously by the labour suite when I rang up with niggly period type pains, and their threshold for doing steroid shots when threatening prem labour is much higher if you've got a proven track record so to speak - I went in mid week 33 I think, right on the normal cut-off for them not giving steroids and trying to halt the labour but because of my previous history - they did halt things to get two shots in, and I ended up going to week 36.

So basically - consultant was useless... labour suit took me much more seriously with a prem baby and fast labour behind me.

plentyofsoap Sun 07-Jul-13 15:05:22

Thank you its goid that you got to 36 weeks. It seems like it is quite standard to do very little after a certain stage. Will see what happens next time but at least I have a good midwife who appears more concerned than the hospital.

MiaowTheCat Mon 08-Jul-13 13:15:38

That's pretty much what I had - the midwife I had did as much pushing and manouvering behind the scenes to get support in place, and I also did play the mental health card (first birth and the behaviour of the hospital left me with quite bad PTSD and massive massive distrust issues of healthcare people) to make sure I had a flag on my file to reduce as much as possible any chance of being sent to the same hospital as I was last time.

I know when I first had the positive FFN swab and started to threaten labour they DID make sure that there was a NICU cot in the nice hospital and that there was no danger of a transfer having to be done and stuff... they did ask me, albeit with a bit of a giggle in their voice (as they'd met DD1 who we'd had to bring in with us until we knew what the score was and if we needed to get family on the road driving down to watch her) if we really needed to talk to one of the doctors again about the prognosis for 33 weekers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now