bottlefeeding a sleepy baby

(4 Posts)
elliejjtiny Sat 22-Jun-13 12:22:05

DS4 is now 38+1 corrected, 3 weeks on Monday actual age. He has a cleft lip and palate and low muscle tone. Just trying to get the feeding sorted then we can go home grin.

He is on demand feeding now but he is being fed every 4 hours if he doesn't wake up and cry for it. I have been getting him to take 30mls usually before he falls asleep. Then I take his babygrow off, tickle his feet and try again but he stays asleep. Then the nurse takes over, sits him up and feeds him a lot more forcefully than I would while he coughs and splutters a bit but he does drink the rest (he's on 80ml feeds at the moment.

Do I have to do it like that shock. Seems really mean to me but my others were all full term and breastfed so this is all new to me. He was being topped up by ng tube when he fell asleep up until a few days ago which seemed a much kinder option but the nurses are all saying that full bottlefeeding is what we need to aim for and that he's doing really well.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 22-Jun-13 22:27:25

Haven't got any experience of early babies. Just wondering if they have an infant feeding coordinator you could talk to.

MiaowTheCat Tue 25-Jun-13 10:00:55

It's frigging awful. Both of mine have been prems and I've been ordered to get what felt like really unpleasantly large feed quantities into a baby who just wants none of it - and generally been ordered to do it by rather abrupt staff (I told one when DD2 was in that "she's really not happy having this much forced down her" and just got told "well she's got to have it - just get it done" - that midwife was an utter fucking bitch though).

And yes, we ended up playing strip bottle for a good few weeks - they get the hang of it in the end though - I think back to sobbing and pleading with DD1 to take her feeds so we could go home - and now I've got a stroppy little oik who sulks when the food's finished!

minipie Sat 29-Jun-13 22:46:28

DD was a very sleepy feeder for weeks. we had to get her completely naked, down to just a nappy. feet tickling didn't help much nor did ear stroking etc. making a sort of kissing noise by sucking through pursed lips seemed to keep her awake better though that was when she was older.

I did try to keep track of when she was most alert (2am at the start hmm) and get more into her at those times.

could you try feeding 3 hourly instead, then smaller quantities each time would add up to more?

Which bottle are you using, is it the medela sn one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now