Prem babies teeth question

(9 Posts)

Dt's are now 3. Born 31 weeks. Happy to say completely finegrin but been told by dentist they have a calcium thing wrong with their teeth. Not allowed any sugar. Does anyone have any experience of this? Would appreciate any advice or info thanks

No experience but have younger ex prem dts so will be looking into this. When did it come up?

And what do they mean NO sugar shock! Does that include fruit/milk/etc?!

Came up in normal dentist check up just after 3rd birthday. Told to avoid milk at night, and minimise fruit juice to one diluted cup a day. Basically no biscuits, sweets, chocolate etc. did ask if I could use fruit sugar to make my own, but dentist pointed out it us still sugar. We have adapted fine ( weekends dt's allowed treats so birthday parties aren't a issue, and we have given in to rich tea biscuits as sugar free baby biscuits are so expensive! ) but my parents who look after dt's are rubbish, giving them marshmallows hot milk in evening, fruit crumble (it's fruit!!! Er with lots of sugar added) and its leading to arguments hmm was hoping for some info to show my parents to back up what we are saying.

Poppet45 Fri 21-Jun-13 11:29:57

Many prems have slow dentition, abnormal or missing teeth due to previous mineral deficiencies ir damage from ventilator tubes. I'd be so cross at gps too they are not helping!

crazymum53 Wed 26-Jun-13 15:18:50

The dentist may mean no formula milk but ordinary milk is fine and doesn't contain sugar - it also contains lots of calcium that is good for teeth (and bones).

Tw1nkle Fri 09-Aug-13 08:57:15

My DD was born at 33 weeks, and is now nearly 5. She has missing teeth. I've been told I have to wait a little longer before they'll xray and see if the adult teeth are there - I'm really hoping they are!

valiumredhead Fri 09-Aug-13 09:02:06

My ds was born at 32 weeks and hasn't had any issues, but the dentist did say they will be doing x rays next appt as she couldn't feel he's second teeth. Getting slightly panicked as I don't know what happens if second teeth don't come through!

MiaowTheCat Fri 09-Aug-13 11:53:56

My 33 weeker was incredibly late teething, and they've come through in a very random order, but so far all seem to be putting in an appearance (only talking baby teeth so far though).

I have shit tooth enamel - was spotted as child and I've had a tonne of fillings and extractions over the year - leading to a dental phobia - leading to MORE fillings... I was overdue and teetering on the point of being induced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now