At what age did your 34 weeker sit unaided?

(12 Posts)
hellonewworld Sun 07-Apr-13 19:29:53

At what age did 34 week baby sit unaided? At just 6 months what was development like overall compared to a 40 week baby? Was there much difference?

Absolutely no difference with my dd.
Sitting up by 6 months and walking at 11 months uncorrected.
But she's always been the determined type grin grin

MiaowTheCat Mon 08-Apr-13 07:36:53

Very late 33 weeker (would have made 34 weeks but for the clocks changing the previous day and want of 20 minutes)... was sitting wobbilily at 8 months, securely by the end of 9 months (although in the Wille Coyote-esque way of if she actually realised she was sitting she'd immediately face-plant)... commando crawled at 11 months - she seemed to channel her catching up development into language and communication more and let her physical stuff lag a bit (not that her mum's a gobshite who hated PE and stuff at school oh no).

Think she'll be furniture cruising in the next month (12 months tomorrow) - so she's suddenly just massively started to catch up on the physical side of things.

HDEE Mon 08-Apr-13 07:40:37

Just a couple of weeks later than expected. Once sitting, everything else was within the same time as her peers.

doublecakeplease Mon 08-Apr-13 07:44:06

34+5 DS was 'age appropriate' at his 9 month check. Probably sat up properly at about 8 months. Took ages to crawl but then crawled and cruised in the same week at about 10 and a half months. He's not walking independently yet - he's nearly 14 months but not concerned. They're all different. My cousin's full term daughter has just started walking at 19 months.

minipie Mon 08-Apr-13 13:35:16

marking place, as I have a 34 weeker who is now 5.5 months/4 corrected and would love to know when she might sit ... doesn't look like she'll be doing it any time soon but I think she could be in another month.

My twins were 34 weekers and are now 27 weeks old. One is much more physically able than the other but neither are sitting unaided and both seem a long way off too. One of them can roll onto her front. Pediatrician said they will reach developmental milestones slightly later than full term babies but should be fully caught up by 2 years.

NandH Tue 09-Apr-13 13:35:50

my dd was born at 32weeks, she sat up unaided at 7 and a half months, she's nearly 2 now and only just started walking, literally 3 weeks ago!

HDEE Tue 09-Apr-13 18:34:50

It also depends on your definition of sitting unaided. For me, that meant being able to put my caught on the floor with toys, wander off for ten minutes and be confident not to need cushions in case she fell.

My almost 32 weeker could sit unaided at 9 months (7 months corrected) and I could finally leave him sat to play with his toys, as HDEE describes, at about 10.5 months (8.5 months corrected).

Don't forget there is a huge range of normal for term babies anyway.

MiaowTheCat Tue 16-Apr-13 18:31:27

And my daughter still occasionally forgets herself and face-plants aged 1!

captainbarnacle Tue 16-Apr-13 18:35:22

My 32weeker didn't sit until 14months. He took his first steps a week later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now