When should a 5 week premature baby be weaned?

(7 Posts)
lindsay321 Mon 01-Apr-13 22:20:30

That's it really. I'm after actual WHO advice (yes I've looked at but can"t seem to grasp adjustment times!)

They're 19 weeks now. Is this too early?

MrsSpencerReid Mon 01-Apr-13 22:27:42

I weaned my ds at 23 weeks actual age as I was told gut develops once born even if prem, my friend who's ds was born at 30w also weaned at 6m actual although it took him a while to get the hang of it, we both waited till they could sit unaided and the other signs, in my opinion 19w is a bit early

MrsSpencerReid Mon 01-Apr-13 22:28:22

Sorry, didn't read properly and saw you wanted who advice, sorry

thereistheball Tue 02-Apr-13 04:06:45

Not sure what WHO says but here's the Bliss leaflet about it

lougle Tue 02-Apr-13 08:04:08

6 months chronological age, even if it means they are only 3/4 months corrected age.

Gut maturation is a physical process, not a developmental one, so it is a process triggered by the introduction of milk to the gut, hence the 6 months actual age rather than corrected age.

MiaowTheCat Thu 04-Apr-13 10:02:43

I followed the Bliss guidance (since my health visitor was useless with matters concerning prematurity) - someone's linked the leaflet before, but perhaps if you contact Bliss yourself they'd be able to explain how it links in with stuff from the WHO.

Had to change my nice visions of BLWing in a nice minimalistic highchair somewhat but must have done something right since she's a fantastic eater!

My twins were 6 weeks prem. I started weaning them at 24 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now