Could possibly deliver early any experiences?

(6 Posts)

I had ds3 at 32+1 after my waters broke at 31 weeks. he spent 4 days in nicu and then 6 days with me on the ward. He weighed 4lb 4. The main problem we had was ds not being able to control his temp. He is 21 months now and huge, peole are always surprised to find out he was so early.

I'm at risk of prem birth again this time. I'm now 32+5 so have managed to go further than last time.

BionicEmu Wed 12-Dec-12 11:48:22

I had my last DS at 34+1 weeks, and he was fine. He did weigh 6lb 3oz though! Didn't have to go to SCBU, just came up on the normal post-natal ward with me. Was discharged at 2 days old, but then was readmitted at a week old due to losing too much weight. We discovered he had no sucking reflex, but after a week or so of tube-feeding he was discharged again with no more problems.

I'm now 33 weeks with DC2. I was admitted at 27 weeks with contractions, given steroids etc. At 28 weeks I was 2 cm dilated and baby was engaged. I was checked again last week at 32 weeks, and I was still 2cm. I've been having bouts of painful tightenings every 8-9 minutes lasting hours for weeks now, but so far labour has not progressed any further. I was told at 28 weeks that I had a very high chance of delivering by 30 weeks, but here I am still, at 33 weeks and nothing!

Unfortunately there's just no definite way of predicting when a baby's going to come (I really, really, wish there was - the last 6 weeks have been unbelievably stressful because of that!). But 31 weeks is a great gestatation - obviously, the longer the better, but outcomes at 31 weeks are generally fantastic. Good luck!

Nikki2510 Mon 10-Dec-12 07:32:55

Yes - me last week smile Our beautiful DS was born in the early hours of Wed morning weighing 5lb 4 so a pretty good weight - he was 33+3.

My waters went last Sunday - had the steroids and antibiotics but went into labour Tuesday morning. Our little boy is fine though - he was jaundiced when he was born, on a drip and being fed through a tube but he has picked up amazingly quickly - jaundice now fine, off the drip, in a normal crib although he will be in SCBU for several more weeks and feeding from boob and bottle with just a top up through his feeding tube if he can't quite finish his mouth feeds.

He is likely to be in SCBU for several more weeks and although its really hard not having him home, he really is in the best place at the moment and the standard of care he is getting is second to none. We are also getting great support as parents from the nurses/staff in SCBU which is really fantastic as they are very keen for you as involved in DC's care as possible.

Mine was as far away from planned/ideal/expected as I could possibly imagine but in situations like this you just have to go with the flow and take things as they come. Good luck with yours smile

BoomBoomBoom Fri 07-Dec-12 17:47:05

The DR's are concerned about Fluid levels and my health.

I don't believe I am having contractions, I am having slight back ache and more and more pressure down below daily. I'm currently 1-2 cms dilated.

I have saw a DR today who said baby is engaged and he believes I will deliver within 1-4 weeks but hoped I prove him wrong.

LeBFG Fri 07-Dec-12 16:06:42

There are lots of us on here that have had babies at 31+ weeks. Are you having contractions? Or are they worried about your BP?

You've already passed the big three 0 stage but every week on top is obviously to the better. By 32/33 weeks the babies are seen as medium premmies and may have some breathing issues though most don't, and by 34+ late premmies are normally just small babies - things are usually well developed. If you give birth before 34 weeks, the LO will probably need to be kept at the hospital for a few weeks which is normally the worst bit.

From what I've read on here, either they come despite all the drugs or they don't. So fingers crossed for you. If s/he does come early, even if the reason was unknown, it was probably the best thing all round for him/her so try and keep positive whatever happens.

BoomBoomBoom Fri 07-Dec-12 08:49:55

Hi

I'm currently 31 weeks and told I could deliver a little bit early.

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences of babies arriving 31+ weeks?

I am down for monitoring every 2-3days to keep an eye on things. The DR is hoping he is wrong but he wants to be safer and has given me my first Steriod. I get the 2nd today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now