What to expect from consultant??

(11 Posts)
MadameJ Fri 23-Nov-12 20:45:11

As the title suggests, I am wondering what to expect from consultant led care during pregnancy.
I am now pregnant with DC2 after having DD at 34 weeks (for no apparent reason). My MW was very sketchy about what I should expect so thought I would ask you lovely people. many thanks.

LaCiccolina Fri 23-Nov-12 20:51:31

Sorry I'm not sure I understand the term. U see consultants in all pregnancies but usually jnrs of a variety until last knocking a when u agree the birth plan finally at anything up to 34 wks. U might only see them about 4 times (inc several jnr docs so u actually see them just once),

It's a shite service. Do u mean urs is more detailed?

Startail Fri 23-Nov-12 21:00:10

You can expect to spend a lot of time waiting about, for 30 sec with the consultant or 40 sec with a junior doctor.

Rehearse your questions and stand yourself or DP between the consultant and the door.

I've met lovely consultants in other departments, but my obstetric one was auditioning for Holby.

MadameJ Fri 23-Nov-12 21:04:38

Sorry LaCiCColina, when I was pregnant first time round I only saw my GP and MW, however this time I am apparently "consultant led" so really just wondered what this actually meant and what extra care if any I could expect.

Startail, this was exactly what my sister said which doesn't fill me with confidence sad

LaCiccolina Fri 23-Nov-12 21:31:35

Sadly that's what I thought u might say. It euphemistically suggests detailed care. Effectively as far as I can tell it means a consultant is the person who signs off the birth plan at the end. They are a signature and that's about it. Wish it were more.

Word of advice as mine are naff all use, don't leave the room without reading ur notes. They get them wrong or put what they think they hear not what u say. Always check even with mw. My mw said " oh dear well sometimes u confuse patients." Which if u dont notice could lead to all manner of upset.... sad

LeBFG Tue 27-Nov-12 09:08:28

From what many women say on here, you will get more scans - you should be getting your cervix measured in the 2nd trimester on a regular basis (just in case IC rears it's ugly head). Apart from that, all as previous. All the normal blood tests etc. I'm very similar to you and I have progesterone jabs weekly. However, this is a bit variable - some posters are offered this, others have to insist. Congrats on your pregnancy. Remember, your chances of going to term this time round are still pretty good.

MadameJ Tue 27-Nov-12 20:18:50

Thanks LeBFG, I asked about those jabs (after you posted about them on a previous thread) but the mw kind of looked at me like hmm so im not holding my breath.
The MW actually said it's easier if there was a reason for previous prem birth as they have something to work with.

I was consultant led and saw the mw once at booking in and once at 24 weeks. I saw the consultant at 16,20,24,28,32 weeks. I had scans every 4 weeks. I was on the clu for delivery.

I had the pessaries which I had to insert every night. I was induced at 34 weeks as my waters broke at 32 weeks.

Mandy21 Tue 27-Nov-12 20:52:49

Also saw the consultant - can't remember exactly at what stages but generally every time I had a hospital appointment / scan, I'd see the consultant first and then the midwife. I rated my care very highly.

LeBFG Wed 28-Nov-12 09:58:14

MadameJ, I would wait to see the consultant to see what s/he says about progesterone, I wouldn't expect a MW to be too clued up to be honest. The jabs/pessaries start in the second trimester. They aren't a magic bullet unfortunately - no certainties - but they are the only known drug proven to affect preterm birth rate so worth a shot I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now