UTI and contractions

(5 Posts)
Sparklesandglitter Wed 11-Jul-12 06:48:31

Hi I'm just wondering if anybody can give me advice?i have been having contractions since Sunday and was admitted to the antenatal ward late Monday where I have been ever sixe. They diagnosed a UTI, although it only showed on the test late Monday afternoon. They gave me corsicosteroids and I have been on anticontraction meds since yesterday which has slowed down the contractions from 4 in 10 mins to about 1 every 10 (at the last monitoring). They have said that they can't rule out preterm labour due to my cervix shortening but now show/waters as yet. I'm nearly 34 weeks, has anybody been in a similar situation?if so what happened? Thanks, I will also post this in childbirth

ImissMiniPop Thu 12-Jul-12 14:56:05

hi sparkles
it's positive that your waters and show havent appeared, and you're in the best place. I had my LO at 30 weeks, the steroids really helped his lungs. He's now sleeping away in his bassinet trumping like a goodun grin and he's home with us at 36 weeks.

It's incredibly scary when things don't go as planned, but 34 weeks isn't a bad gestation, so stay positive smile

Keep us posted x

Mandy21 Thu 12-Jul-12 15:25:42

Hi there - I think a UTI caused my prem labour too - I was contracting (without realising) for quite a few hours before I got to hospital but I'd already started to dilate (I was 3cm when I arrived at hospital). I was told the medication would only stop the contractions temporarily because I'd started to dilate. The implication was therefore that if I hadn't started to dilate, they might have been able to stop the whole process. My contractions started again 48 hours later and my twins were born at 27+6.

I know its frightening at any point in the pregnancy to think you might give birth early, but at 34 weeks, your baby is a good gestation. You're in the best place if you're in hospital already. Good luck.

Valdeeves Sat 06-Oct-12 04:07:00

Yes don't worry - I had my Borgnine because if bladder related
issues I'm sure at 35 and 33 weeks. Both had roughly a two week stay and were fine. Don't worry cxxxx

Valdeeves Sat 06-Oct-12 04:07:21

Both mine not borgine!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now