Did you put your prem babies on while milk at 1 year actual?

(11 Posts)
bishboschone Sat 19-May-12 20:16:40

That's it really .. I'm not sure what to do . He is 11 months actual ( 9 corrected) and eats lots but still has 3 bottles a day . I know weaning is started at actual age so is whole milk given then too?

MuckingFuddle Sat 19-May-12 20:20:50

Cows milk should be fine from 1 year - as long as he is putting on weight and eats a varied solid diet.

bishboschone Sat 19-May-12 20:26:24

I haven't had him weighed for a while ( maybe I should ) but last paed appointment he was growing ok . Has formula got more calories then?

bishboschone Sat 19-May-12 20:27:08

He eats very well, pretty much anything I put on his tray gets eaten ! smile

MuckingFuddle Sat 19-May-12 20:29:47

More nutrients,minerals and vitamins etc and I am pretty sure it contains more calories and the good fats that babies need but could be wrong.

MuckingFuddle Sat 19-May-12 20:32:05

smile He should be fine then, the advice we had from paed and hv was to go straight to whole milk from 1 year my DT's were 30 weekers so similar gestation to your DS.

bishboschone Sat 19-May-12 20:32:32

I left dd on formula until she stopped milk at 18 months ( wasn't interested anymore) . Is the alternative a toddler formula?

bishboschone Sat 19-May-12 20:33:42

Ok thanks , is it a case of just swopping it one day or gradually mixing it in?

MuckingFuddle Tue 22-May-12 22:53:32

Errrrrrm.............. I cant remember - sorry. It's all a bit of a blur.

loveisagirlnameddaisy Thu 24-May-12 17:33:49

I'd avoid stage 2 milks (toddler milks) as they can be artificially filling and affect a lot of children's appetites. Toddler milks do have added vitamins but I think they're all part of the big marketing con that formula companies have going on (they can't legally advertise baby formula so they advertise the toddler milks instead). The vitamin thing shouldn't be an issue anyway if he has a good diet and if you're worried about vitamins, I'd give a supplement like Abidec rather than toddler milk.

I weaned my DD off formula onto cows milk by giving her cows milk in a cup for breakfast only at first, then incorporating it gradually into her other feeds. Not sure you need to do this as by 1 year old they have much stronger constitutions.

mrsv2 Wed 04-Jul-12 22:15:26

My DD was born 3 months early and i moved to cowsmilk at about 13months. Initially to cowsmilk in cup at breakfast but leaving formula at night until the last tin ran out and now cows milk completely. We have had no problems with the change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now