Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Persistent stomach cramps at 11 weeks - should I go to the hospital?

(11 Posts)
Kiki84 Mon 21-Jun-10 19:25:19

Hi there
I've had the worst stomach cramps since saturday evening and it didn't stop all day today. I'm not bleeding or anything else but I'm very worried. I phoned the NHS direct and am waiting for a nurse to call me back. I've got an appointment at the hospital tomorrow so don't know if I should wait until then to have it checked out or whether I need to get myself to the hospital now..?

janski31 Mon 21-Jun-10 19:39:53

Where abouts are the cramps are they quite low down?

I had really bad stomach ache at 11 weeks and I think it was trapped wind peppermint tea can help.

Kiki84 Mon 21-Jun-10 19:51:56

Yes I would say its my lower abdomen. It feels like period cramps but worse...

janski31 Mon 21-Jun-10 20:09:50

I told my midwife at my booking in visit about my stomach cramps and she said unless they are really low down like where you pubic bone is then dont worry.

It could be growing pains or twinges you might be having a growth spurt.

I would try not to worry I know its hard, I had a mmc in jan and I didnt have any pain or anything at all so the fact that your having pain with no bleeding could just be growing pains.

There is an awful lot going on in there so its bound to get uncomfortable at times.

Hope your ok x

I had cramps that felt just like period pain, but again it was digestion. I knew it was poor digestion, but it did not stop me worrying. I had lots of tummy troubles in the first 3 months - it helped to avoid fatty foods.

I also had a mc in January so I know how worried you might be. However, I had bleeding before any cramps - the cramps only started after and were pretty mild in comparison to the digestive pains! Also the initial pain was right in the centre, unlike any period pain I have had.

planner26 Tue 22-Jun-10 11:52:29

Kiki84 I would try and get a scan done at EPU. I had same and some spotting (though cramps weren't worse than period pains - they were similar though) and got a scan done. In fact, have had them pretty much since I got pregnant and they're not getting any better! MW says it's just 'growing pains' of the uterus expanding. Good luck.

babynelly2010 Tue 22-Jun-10 12:48:25

growing pains probably, but the nurse from NHS will probably tell you to go to the hospital just to be safe.

babynelly2010 Tue 22-Jun-10 12:49:02

I hope its all good

Kiki84 Tue 22-Jun-10 21:12:02

Hey ladies. I phoned NHS direct last night and spoke to a doctor - he asked me a lot of questions and said that he doesn't think its anything to worry about as the cramps aren't accompanied by bleeding, vomiting or a runny tummy. The pain was really bad this morning and I ended up calling in sick and I went to the hospital today and had a scan. All is fine with the baby and I was told its probably just growing pains or my gut! smile

berrycravings Tue 22-Jun-10 21:17:41

Hi kiki84 glad you got the reassurance you needed. I find its so easy to get worried by all the different changes going on. Hope your able to be a little less worried now smile

That's good news!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now