Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Bad indigestion/heartbur n in early pregnancy

(12 Posts)
anonMum2 Fri 18-Jun-10 15:32:28

Anyone else have extremely painful indigestion in early pregnancy, that is worse during night time? I'm in agony every night and it seems to be getting worse. It's normally relieved first thing in the morning, waiting to attach again in the evening.

Just when I thought MS couldn't possibly get any worse...

anonMum2 Fri 18-Jun-10 15:33:01

sorry, attack, not attach.

misswisteria Fri 18-Jun-10 15:40:55

I've had it all the way through. Things that have eased it include:
Gaviston (obviously!)
Propping your bed at a slight angle, with the head raised, so that the acid doesn't get worse at night. Or do the same with pillows.
Yoghurt
Eating really early in the evening and always eating at a table.
Try and avoid orange juice and other very acid foods and drinks.
I also got an amazing pink liquid on prescription which really helped ~ can't remember what it's called, I'm afraid.I think you can take Omeprazole as well, but possibly only after the first trimester, just to be super safe.

Ooh and Magnum ice creams ~ particularly the white one. Not sure why ~ but they do help.

Hope you feel better soon!

susiey Fri 18-Jun-10 17:25:12

yes I had awful heartburn at 8 weeks with this one - was really painful.

I work out my trigger foods and don't eat them, take gaviscon, sip plain bolied water, sit up till the heartburn passes and sometimes a bath will ease it too.

I'm on dc3 and definitlety is worse this time but bizarrely was worse in early pregnancy than in the first trimester

anonMum2 Fri 18-Jun-10 20:32:51

Oooh, was looking at Magnum ice creams the other day. Will have to get some.

I sleep nearly vertically at the moment hmm and gaviscon only works for an hour max confused. Does it really make a difference between boiled water or tap water? Willing to try anything at the moment.

I wish I could find out what's triggering it. I think it's any food at the moment.

Do you find that pregnancy tablets make it worse as well? Wondering if I should switch to just folic acid.

susiey Sat 19-Jun-10 12:46:28

what I meant was bolied water as in hot water from the kettle not cold water if that makes sense. sipping on it like you would a cup of tea kind of thing.
just remembered also drinking things that make me burp makes me feel better like diet coke.

jjkm Mon 21-Jun-10 18:15:51

I had a miserable stomach ache during week 6 that got better when I stopped eating wheat.

I took the multi-vitamin shortly after becoming pregnant, and that thing did a number on my stomach. I woke up with stomach pain and night sweats. I am only taking B6 and Folic Acid now. I had a pretty bad night last night (way too much stomach acid). I frequently have indigestion at night that wakes me up, pregnant or not, and I believe it's made worse by the following:

Yeast (bread makes the pain worse for me, and there are a few other things that have yeast that really shouldn't, and they also make me feel ill)
Wheat. I had a test for celiacs disease done recently (which came out negative), but I'm not entirely sure that I am not sensitive to wheat.

I've been keeping a food journal because I am pretty sure there is something that I am allergic to. I seem to be much better when I don't eat wheat or yeast. I am also lactose intolerant, so I have to be careful about milk. I drink lactose free milk, but I can say that even that aggravates my stomach when I am pregnant. Last of all, too much fiber seems to worsen things. Carrots are also really hard on me, as I found out last night. It may be something that you are eating/not eating that is triggering it (not eating can also make things worse).

jjkm Mon 21-Jun-10 18:50:25

This site may be helpful:
www.jigsawhealth.com/resources/stomach-acid-imbalance-dietary

The list of foods to avoid in particular may help. A lot of things on that list make my heartburn worse.

anonMum2 Tue 22-Jun-10 20:54:28

Thanks for that. That was useful. Mine seems to be more tomata, pasta sauce and the obvious spicy food, which I'm thankful to have found out but it's a pain because that means no pasta, lasagne, pizza, curry etc. which are the only foods DH can cook or prepare really.

So thirsty all the time but can't really drink much as I'm sick if I drink more than a sip. Wish I had the energy to pop to the shops for some ice-lollies. DH too busy looking after DS, well, more like too busy watching the footie. Also, haven't had energy to buy B6 and folic acid so haven't had them for a few days. shock Didn't realise it's so much harder second time round in that i just have no time to look after myself.

LoobyLou33 Fri 22-Oct-10 22:46:09

I went to the corner shop one night to try to buy gaviscon, they didn't have any but did have liquid milk of magnesia - old school!
It's been great and tastes nice too, like minty milk. I've found it works on me really quickly although my heartburn has been relatively mild compared to what some people here are describing.

Some nights I've had a "hunger hole" and had to eat in the middle of the night, which is obviously bad for heartburn but had no choice! anyone else get that?!

niphredil Fri 02-May-14 16:51:57

So glad to have found this old thread! This is my first pregnancy, I'm new to MN and I thought I was alone in suffering from daily indigestion this early on (10 weeks). Glad to hear it's somewhat 'normal'!

Anyone out there have chronic indigestion from early pregnancy right the way through to full term?! That's my worst nightmare sad

Em1503 Fri 02-May-14 20:51:11

I had it in the first trimester but it wasn't too bad compared to now, gaviscon is my best friend. I'm 28 weeks and it's been getting worse since about 25 weeks. I have to sip it through the night sometimes and that keeps it under control.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now