Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Pelvic Girdle Pain/Symphysis Pubis and DVT's

(13 Posts)
indigobarbie Thu 25-Mar-10 08:15:45

Hi I don't mean to scare anyone, I just wanted to post up and make everyone aware of deep vein thrombosis in pregnancy.
Although I am an SPD/PGP survivor (still recovering) I feel lucky to have not suffered a DVT.
Whilst in hospital I met a girl who was 22 weeks pregnant and she had been having awful pubic bone and hip pain since early on. She was crutches already and had been on bed rest for a few weeks. Then she had pain in her calf. She had a DVT in her leg and was to stay in hospital for many weeks until they could clear the clot with clexane injections. However she started to take pains in her chest and could not breathe, they suspected the clot had either moved or another one had formed. The only way to help her was to give a CT scan with contrast dye in her body. I didn't see her again to find out her progress but I do want to let everyone know to make a concerted effort (yes I know how painful this condition is) to circle the ankles and try try try to move some each day.
It has to be better than the risk of a DVT.
My care for SPD during my pg was pants to say the least and no one advised me of any of the risks. When I was admitted for induction at 42 weeks I was informed by the midwife that I should have been wearing support/compression stockings for most of my pregnancy due to my inactivity.
Please everyone pass this on, we owe it to ourselves to be looked after x

indigobarbie Thu 25-Mar-10 19:29:51

shameless bumping! in the name of awareness

indigobarbie Sun 09-May-10 19:42:37

Feel like bumping this one again

ktwiltshire Sun 09-May-10 21:22:23

thanks, ive got SPD and luckily my midwives have been very good in the DVT prevention camp (not so hot with the SPD but hey). i was put in stockings when i was down to 1 walk a day, and now im not able to do that im on clexane injections.

Trafficcone Sun 09-May-10 21:31:13

I've been sofa/wheelchair bound since February and I've been told there is no evidence to suggest stockings are necessary. Yes I swell badly in the legs but that's not to say even 1% of women with SPD will go on to develop dvt.
Dvts also have clear and obvious warning signs and are treatable. If I had any symptoms I'd seek help same as any woman would.

I'm 35 weeks with severe SPD and quite immobile. I have anti embolism stockings and daily delteparin injections. My consultant said DVT is her biggest concern in cases like this.

ktwiltshire Sun 09-May-10 22:37:20

^ my consultant and midwives are off the same opinion!

as far as ive been told, any elongated period of immobility (for any reason) increased your risk of DVT hugely, and wearing some stockings, no matter how unsexy or irritating, seems to be a small price to pay for decreasing the risk of DVT.

i dont think the OP was stating the SPD increases your risk of developing DVT, simply that the immobility, like immobility for any reason increases your risk of DVT

ASecretLemonadeDrinkerDAVE Sun 09-May-10 22:42:05

I have SPD and am pretty sofa bound, only even managing to take DS to nursery 2-3 days a week because of the pain. I have high BMI too but have been told nothing about all of this shock I am now 34 weeks and the physio has no record of my referal, so no physio as I don't see consultant or MW for at least 3 weeks. What are the symtoms of DVT - yesterday I had to pull over with chest pain, but it eased - would a clot ease off? confused

ktwiltshire Sun 09-May-10 22:48:09

not sure, but it sounds like you need better care taking of you. hop on over to the SPD sofa thread, theres quite a few of us!

my physio was almost useless but at least gave me crutches and basic advice on how to move around to minimise pain and damage.

from the BUPA factsheet on DVTs i just found on google:

Larger clots can partly or completely block the blood flow in your vein and cause symptoms such as:

* swelling of the affected leg
* pain and tenderness in the affected leg - you may also find it difficult to stand properly with your full weight on the affected leg
* a change in the colour of your skin, for example, redness
* skin that feels warm or hot to the touch

Although not necessarily a result of DVT, if you have these symptoms you should visit your GP

EightiesChick Sun 09-May-10 23:06:45

OK, firstly, you can have a DVT without symptoms. Not to scare anyone, but it is possible. I have had four blood clots and know what I'm talking about.

Do follow standard advice to prevent blood clotting, including whatever exercise / movement you can. If you can't walk, do those calf exercises that you're told to do on planes. Keep well hydrated; this will also help.

DVTs are unpleasant but treatable. The major worry is a clot travelling to another part of the body, most likely to the lung causing a PE (pulmonary embolism). I’ve also had this happen (twice) so the good news is it’s catchable and treatable, but the bad news is it can be fatal if undiagnosed. You can easily check symptoms but FYI mine were:

- Back pain (not chest pain as you might expect) on one side, ie actually originating in my lung, which wouldn’t respond to any painkillers/spray and got steadily worse, so much so that I was in severe pain and couldn’t put pressure on that side at all.
- Difficulty breathing, only slight for most of the time. I mistook this for my asthma playing up. My inhaler didn’t help.

If you have these, and of course if you do have chest pain at anything more than a mild level, get checked out asap.

ASecretLemonadeDrinkerDAVE Mon 10-May-10 10:01:17

The pain in my chest was in my back if that makes sense? I went to hospital with DS1 when I had chest pain and was on an ECG and it ended up being heartburn blush. I will keep an eye on it, I do move around probably 'enough' with 2 DSs to feed, mop up after etc I will wiggle my legs around more when sat, thanks

indigobarbie Mon 10-May-10 13:44:16

I'm so glad I bumped this thread again. When I first posted not a soul commented or looked.

I am grateful to those who have shared their experiences to allow others to read and be aware, that was the main reason for my post. smile

asecretlemonade Maybe get checked out? Please don't worry but please get checked out? x

LooL00 Mon 10-May-10 14:20:32

Sorry indigobarbie, I looked but didn't comment as I'm not so immobile.Thanks for bumping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now