Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Kidney infection

(12 Posts)
Elizabeth22 Mon 01-Feb-10 15:40:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scoutandjem Mon 01-Feb-10 15:47:07

I was eight months pregnant with kidney infection, stayed overnight at Worthing hospital on a drip. Was promised antibiotics wouldn't effect pregnancy.

DS was born at 40wks plus one day, natrual birth in a pool, completely perfect and he weighed 10lb 3oz!

Do not worry all will be well. smile

addictedtolatte Mon 01-Feb-10 16:06:08

i had 3 kidney infections throughout my pregnancy and had to have anitbiotics twice orally and once through a drip and my ds is perfect. i dont know about low-birthweigh hmm my ds was born a little porker grin dont worry everything will be fine

Elizabeth22 Tue 02-Feb-10 12:06:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsJamin Tue 02-Feb-10 12:45:19

I've just come home from being diagnosed with a similar infection, just started my course of antibiotics. I'm 33wks. In quite a bit of pain at top and left of bump. The GP didn't suggest that I should be on bedrest or anything but it really hurts to move around. Try not to google that much, you're doing the right thing by following GP's advice. Just keep an eye out for any additional symptoms.

SmilerJane Tue 02-Feb-10 13:18:21

hi there all.. sorry to hear your all not well. i'm sure elizabeth all will be ok with antibiotics as docs wouldnt give them you otherwise.
well i'm debating on wether to bother my gp yet.. i had an infection 2 wks ago n was in pain there Mrsjasmin put on antibiotics which i finnished a wk ago.... however pain/ache has moved and the past 2 days i've been having a deep pain/ache on my left handside at the back, hurts when i move or bend over... is this kidneys?? i been so many times for problems in this preg i dont want to keep bothering people... seein a mw on fri for more bloods anyway

stressheaderic Tue 02-Feb-10 14:54:58

I've got a kidney infection now, and I'm 37 weeks. I had no symptoms at all, well maybe just backache, it was only when blood showed up in my urine that they discovered it. I've had antibiotics for 5 days which seems to have sorted it. Had to stay overnight in hosp incase it caused anything to start happening, but all was fine with me, and it will be with you too.

MrsJamin Tue 02-Feb-10 15:46:46

I don't know whether I should say to work that I need to stay at home and have bedrest tomorrow. what have people advised you, smilerjane and stressheaderic? Only have a handful of days left in the office and feel flaky enough of an employee as it is!

stressheaderic Tue 02-Feb-10 16:00:55

I am on maternity leave now anyway so it wasn't an issue (it was actually the first day of it - great way to spend it, in hosp!), but I've had numerous infections and illnesses throughout my pregnancy, and work have always been really supportive, repeatedly telling me to go home and think of the baby first...a kidney infection is not something to be taken lightly, so I think you'd be well within your rights to have a few days off, rest, drink lots and get back to full strength. Even just the vomiting probably took it out of you.
Depends how understanding you think your employer is really - I work in a school with a male HOD and Head, but they have both been great with me.

MrsJamin Wed 03-Feb-10 11:21:05

Thanks for your advice stressheaderic. I'm at work today as I don't feel too bad and I was needed for something. Plus perhaps it's less tiring than looking after my 2-YO DS?!

rjarvis Tue 04-Nov-14 17:58:15

sorry i know this is an old thread but-i have had 2 kidney infections now, one at 22 weeks and one now at 24 wks. i was given trimethoprim both times and both times they have cleared within a couple days.

But im so so worried about it causing preterm labour or if i am prone to them and might get another one. Has anyone else had more than 1 kidney infection? I just dont know what im doing wrong

Kayleighowse Fri 04-Sep-15 17:55:40

I've had 3 kidney infections and I'm 22 weeks pregnant! They found bacteria called E.coli in my urine, and I've been doing Google search and found out E.coli can cause stillbirth! I'm drinking over 2 litres of water a day no sex and keeping very clean ! Doing everything in my power to prevent them but they keep coming back, so so worried

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now