Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

buffalo mozzarella?

(9 Posts)
joesgirl Fri 04-Sep-09 12:49:13

Can one eat buffalo mozzarella (M&S type, not fresh from a market) when pregnant? I am going through the whole spiel again, so trying to remember what not to eat. And this one has always been a question for me, so I just avoided it last time. Any views? Thanks in advance!

Nocoffeenoworkee Fri 04-Sep-09 13:26:17

Yes you can - most buffalo mozarella is pasteurised. It's only the really expensive deli stuff that generally isn't. However, when I buy it I'm very careful to make sure that it's definitely pasteurised so it's probably worth heading to a deli as they're probably a bit more clued up that your average M&S deli staff. I really want some right now... :-)

thumbwitch Fri 04-Sep-09 13:28:11

I ate it a lot during pg. Most other supermarket stuff is pasteurised too.

Tigresswoods Fri 04-Sep-09 13:32:38

Yesterday I had calamari and parma ham. I am not eating the things that you REALLY shouldn't eat but would class these things as possibly "boarderline"

I am determined not to worry too much about all this.

Smoked Salmon tomorrow!

grin

MrsGladpuss Fri 04-Sep-09 13:34:16

Go ahead and enjoy.

As a rule it is unpasteurised and mould ripened cheese that's a no-no.

<Although I ate anything I fancied except those types of cheese and anything made with liver... including parma ham, shell fish, scrambled egg, raw vegetables>

winnybella Fri 04-Sep-09 13:37:34

Yes, you definitely can, if you get it from supermarket. Just to be safe, check whether it's made from pasteurised milk- normally they are.

joesgirl Fri 04-Sep-09 15:00:36

thanks! going to enjoy it then (and all the calcium should be good for one in any case!!)

Tigresswoods Fri 04-Sep-09 15:34:01

Will be having scrambled eggs with my smoked salmon.

radio4 Fri 04-Sep-09 16:16:06

This is a good article on what you can really eat:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2007/may/29/health.medicineandhealth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now