Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Just found out I'm pregnant ...

(7 Posts)
sheeplikessleep Sun 19-Jul-09 13:48:55

... really chuffed and over the moon.

BUT (and I know this is a way off), I have various family members/friends who are undergoing IVF / taking ages to conceive and I'm already dreading telling them.

Any advice on the best way to do it?

PS I know this is weeks away and I am in very early stages, but if I have some sort of 'plan' now, I can stop worrying about it. I know they'll be happy (with sadness in there too), but I just don't know how to tell them.

Any thoughts appreciated - thank you

SheWillBeLoved Sun 19-Jul-09 14:37:33

Maybe an email would be best to tell the one's who are having trouble conceiving? May seem a cold way of telling them, but it gives them the chance to soak it in, and have the reaction they want to have in private, without you sat in front of them and making them feel like they have to jump up and down in excitement with you.

They may do that anyway when they next see you in person, but at least you're giving them the option to or not then.

Congratulations by the way

belgo Sun 19-Jul-09 14:45:22

Agree, if you are used to communicating with them via email, then that would be fine.

I remember being invited to a friends' house just after having a second miscarriage, only to find that they were having a champagne celebration of her new pregnancy - that is difficult to enjoy when you're having trouble becoming pregnancy!

sheeplikessleep Sun 19-Jul-09 14:48:17

Thank you for posting Shewillbeloved, that's a good idea. Will give me time to consider what and how the email is worded too.

I'm keeping everything crossed that the IVFs are successful.

I've got a hen weekend/wedding coming up in the next couple of weekends - it will be really obvious why I am not drinking (they worked it out last time, although they didn't say at the time) and I will be with said friends. And I am such a crap liar.

sheeplikessleep Sun 19-Jul-09 14:50:52

Thanks Belgo - that must have been tough situation to be in sad.
You're right, an email is the best way.
Only problem is that one of them is my sister, who I think is undergoing IVF at the moment and has had a bad couple of years. I'm desperate that she'll have good news by the time I have to tell her. And hoping that she won't mind that others know in advance. I just don't think telling her at the moment will help her.

mosschops30 Sun 19-Jul-09 15:01:39

My friend and I got pg at the same time this year, we had early scans 3 days apart and sadly her baby had died sad
I wasnt sure how to talk to her about it, I sent her texts asking how she was etc.
In the end we spoke on the phone and I said that I would understand if she hated me, and didnt want to talk to me for a while, because I think if im honest thats how I would have felt regardless of how irrational it is.
I would go and speak to your sis on her own, explain that you are pg, but that you understand it may be hard for her etc. At least that way she doesnt turn up to some family doo with everyone toasting your pregnancy IYKWIM.

My friend has been very supporetive throughout my pregnancy and always calls me after scans etc, it still makes me uncomfortable though and I try not to moan about being fat and miserable in front of her

HTH smile

sheeplikessleep Sun 19-Jul-09 15:09:26

Thanks for posting Mosschops, it's horrible situation isn't it. I'm seeing my sis middle of next month (she lives quite a way away), so I'm going to speak to her quietly then. I don't think an email is appropriate for her really.
Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now