Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

6 weeks pregnant, but no heartbeat

(14 Posts)
nickyb86 Sat 27-Jun-09 22:05:04

Hey. Can anyone help?

I found out a week ago i was pregnant and since ive been has achy pains.

I was taken into hospital on Thurs after a blow to my tummy from a swing at the park. I was in alot of pain but had no bleeding.

They did a scan and told me there was no heartbeat and that things didnt look good. The embryo was 5.7mm. Ive got to go back on Friday for another scan to check.

Im petrified that my baby has died. Could it just be too early to see the heartbeat?

And no open mentioned whether my cervix was open so im not sure if a miscarriage is on its way.

Has anyone been through this?

Nicky

sjbj Sat 27-Jun-09 22:55:05

It can be too early to detect a HB. Have they booked you in for another scan in a few days?

Wishing you well at this difficult time.

mrsboogie Sat 27-Jun-09 23:25:57

/how thin/fat are you? I am large and had a scan at 7 weeks+ and they could see no heartbeat. Went back a week later and there it was! Also if your dates are out the heartbeat might not yet be visible...

At that stage I would be very surprised if a blow to the stomach would cause a miscarriage.

good luck and try not to worry until next week

mrsboogie Sat 27-Jun-09 23:26:33

the achy pains are normal by the way

Hi Nicky

I had a scan last week as I was bleeding, I was 6 weeks, but they couldn't see a heartbeat. I spoke to my aunt who's a sonographer, and she says thats fine and quite common (the heart is only tiny at this stage). I've to go for another scan on thursday and they'll look again. I also had cramping, although it's stopped now.

Good luck.

Angela x

ShowOfHands Mon 29-Jun-09 11:04:18

It's normal not to see a heartbeat yet. I had an early scan at 7+4 and was warned that I might not see one so 6 weeks is definitely early.

I know it's worrying but please don't assume the worst at this stage.

Aches, utterly, utterly normal.

nickyb86 Mon 29-Jun-09 11:33:00

Really? The lady who did my scan pretty much told me there is not much chance the baby was alive still! So ive been very upset all week.

Im still getting bad pains, to the point i had to go back to A&E, they were so bad it was agony! Is it normal for them to be THAT bad?

ShowOfHands Mon 29-Jun-09 11:37:39

I cannot second guess what the sonographer saw. No heartbeat detected at 6 weeks is not a marker on its own that there is a problem. In fact, it's normal not to see a heartbeat. I don't know what else she saw so cannot presume.

In terms of pain, there is a spectrum of normal. I had bad period type pains for weeks and eventually found out that I had an erosion (not a concern, just one of those things) which was what hurt so much.

I assume they found no obvious reason for the pain? Hot water bottles, paracetamol only.

I'm sorry you're going through this.

tye Mon 29-Jun-09 11:56:30

i a requested a early scan for my youngest child at 6weeks ish due to a previous late miscarrige and was told at this stage you probably wouldnt see the heart beat and that it was best to wait till 8weeks to get a clearer picture.

i no its hard but do try not to worry 2much and good luck on friday! x

skihorse Mon 29-Jun-09 12:00:45

nicky I'm really in to my sports (horseriding & skiing) so I talked to a sports doctor about the implications of doing so during pregnancy. He assured me that because the baby is so well protected by your abdomen during the first trimester that there is no way a bump could dislodge it. You'd need a "piercing" to your abdomen, so please don't let the bump with the swing worry you.

nickyb86 Mon 29-Jun-09 12:30:34

thank you guys you all have given me a bit of hope!

oodlesofpoodles Mon 29-Jun-09 12:49:02

My ds1 didn't have a heartbeat until 7.5 weeks.

LovelyMonster Tue 30-Jun-09 18:04:18

I had scan two weeks ago at 6 weeks and they could not find heartbeat. i was worried but they reassured me that it is unusual to see before 6+3. Have been back for scan today and have seen baby and heartbeat. I did have some light bleeding around 6 weeks but that settled. hope you find this helpful!

pensta Tue 14-Jul-09 21:55:32

hi

I have been to the hospital today as for an early internal scan as i have been having some light bleeding since yesterday. i thought i was nearly nine weeks pregnant the scan shows that i am only six weeks pregnant and no heart beat could be detected which i have been quite upset about. they say i have to go back in two weeks time yo see if they can see an hert beat if they cant they this means the baby has died.

i have had some bleeding a little heavier tonight since the internal and find all this very stressful and upsetting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now