Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it normal to feel depressed in late pregnancy??

(17 Posts)
loganberry12 Fri 19-Jun-09 09:00:54

Im 30 weeks pregnant and suddenly woke up feeling very depressed and tearful the last few days. Is this normal because of hormones? I feel guilty because i should be happy instead im snapping at everyone and crying all the time whats wrong with me, i feel like i just want to stay in bed all day and sleep it away. My husband doesnt understand why im like this and laughs it of when i speak to him about it i feel so alone uncomfortable and unattractive, whats happening to me??

spacetraveler Fri 19-Jun-09 09:51:32

I am between 28 and 29 weeks. I feel the same way its almost as if the first trimester mood swings have returned?

I am extremely anxious and have cried 4 times this week, my poor husband is quite confused and doesn't really know what to do with me.

Try not to be too hard on yourself, sometimes a woman just need to be by herself and have a cry. Society puts way too much pressure on pregnant woman to be the perfect glowing and ecstatically happy 'earth mother' ideal. The reality is that everyone gets depressed sometimes.(I think?...anyway that's what I keep telling myself

jardins Fri 19-Jun-09 11:15:46

Dear Loganberry12, it is TOTALLY normal (and very unsettling) to feel depressed during pregnancy. I recall during my first pregnancy 13 years ago participating in the usual herbal tea and biscuit chat at the antinatal yoga class. We were all sat in a circle, all these radiant pregnant women, and one beautiful Lebanese lady admitted she's been feeling far from happy for quite a while. I remember this whoosh of relief when I heard her as I'd been feeling exactly the same for some time too. I wasn't alone! I also remember people getting so excited for me when they found out I was pregnant and I couldn't really understand their excitement. As soon as my daughter was born I TOTALLY understood what those people meant. It will be worth it in the end. The funny thing is I'm expecting no. 3 (fingers crossed cos it's early days yet) and I have no enthusiasm at all. Every pregnancy I have felt riddled with overwhelming fear and a lack of joy, which is weird because I am a very enthusiastic person normally. I think we are so busy creating a human being that all our get up and go just goes!!!!

You are normal. Don't feel guilty, OK? smile

CliffordtheBigRedCat Fri 19-Jun-09 11:16:42

its nomral, blame the hormones

silkcushion Fri 19-Jun-09 11:19:08

Hope so as it's my due date today and I feel fecking msierable!

CliffordtheBigRedCat Fri 19-Jun-09 11:22:28

i can make you feel worse wink

5% of babies arrive on their due day

YanknCock Fri 19-Jun-09 11:26:06

I'm also 30 weeks, and can certainly relate to the tiredness! If left alone, I end up sleeping 12 hours, and can never get comfortable. Am also having minor panics daily about how much stuff has to be done/bought in the next two months. Can't 'nest' properly because of wrist pain and SPD, and am finding the loss of physical strength depressing.

I had a good long cry yesterday because I realised at some point my PFB might say he hates me. hmm Gotta be the hormones.

silkcushion Fri 19-Jun-09 11:31:41

my last baby arrived on her due date so I'm a little unrealistic/spoilt

Yes, I'm 32 weeks and back to being a ratty, irritable cow. Not helped by being insanely tired...

McSnail Fri 19-Jun-09 13:00:04

I've felt like that to. Worried that the feelings won't pass, even when baby's born...

McSnail Fri 19-Jun-09 13:00:29

too

staylucky Fri 19-Jun-09 13:08:49

I think the reality of the situation kicks in towards the end, plus a good dose of hormones.

I was in the middle of a pretty bad bout of depression when I fell pregnant. Have been fine ever since but because I was referred at the time now have a team of eagle eyes calling me, visiting me and the midwife checking up on me too when I go see her. It's driving me flippin mental!

I've come to the conclusion that depression or feeling a little blue is just part of our natural cycles. Please don't worry about how you feel Loganberry12, it will pass x

Louby1983 Fri 19-Jun-09 13:12:31

Dont worry - ur normal! It feels like 4eva but not long to go now. Get as much sleep as u can, have as many realxing baths as u feel like (even if its 4 in the morning cus its the only thing that will settle a wriggle bum baby & help u to get comfy), eat as much crap as u want, cry as much as u want, and as for ur hubby, im afraid tuff luck - whos the one who'll be doing the puffing and panting ( & possibly requiring the joys of things such as stiches) in a few weeks - not him! Get all of those emotions out in the open, dont let them build up inside cus itll just make u feel worse & even more confused. If hubby wont listen, talk to ur friends or all us lovely ladies on here who are always happy to listen & send as much sympathy & love as u need! Take care my darlings, everything is going to be ok.xxxx

HappyTangerine Wed 22-Jul-09 19:58:12

I am so glad I found this thread, thanks for posting Loganberry. I'm a first timer, 30 weeks pg and have suddenly started feeling really low and anxious for seemingly no reason. Husband doesn't understand why I'm a bit weepy but knows I'm sleep deprived and hormones are all over the place. Overwhelmed by how much we have to do though, haven't got nursery ready or anything bought. I thought I'd so look forward to this bit but instead I just want to sleep through it.

Baby kicks harder and more often at night than the day so I'm either up until 3am or woken up at 4am. I am so incredibly tired and a bit lonely-am in a town where I only know DHs family and thats it, v isolating. His mum is lovely but I'd love some company my own age. Starting pregnancy yoga next week and NCT classes soon so that will hopefully help. Sorry to moan but thanks so much for the thread...

zomac96 Tue 29-Jul-14 22:03:45

I'm 37 weeks and I'm 18, my baby was planned and now me and the dad are only talking because of what's on the way, I can't be bothered with friends and just want to go shopping and look about everyday, I feel like I'm starting to get depressed and I'm worried that this won't leave when the baby's here as I know I'm quite young and worried that I might miss old times and miss doing things I can no longer do, I love my little boy so much already! Just thought it would be nice to tell Somone how I feel

SarahMcCxx Wed 30-Jul-14 08:54:34

I cried over the washing up the other day! This thread has made me realise that that is normal whilst pregnant :-)

magichandles Wed 30-Jul-14 08:58:58

Totally normal, but I'm glad you posted this as I have been feeling terrible over the past couple of days, bursting into tears all over the place (I don't normally get particularly emotional) and lacking all enthusiasm to do anything or cook properly. I'm 27 weeks with DC3, so you would have thought I'd know what was happening!

I'm knackered, feeling quite stressed about having 3, eating shit so feeling rubbish and would quite like to stay in bed for the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now