Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

HOW LONG TILL MY UTERUS THICKENS AFTER MIRENA

(5 Posts)
Lucan Tue 16-Jun-09 12:50:28

HOW LONG TILL MY UTERUS THICKENS AFTER MIRENA

doulalc Tue 16-Jun-09 21:42:27

It will vary from person to person. Often periods will return about 6 weeks after removal, but for some women it will be a few months before the uterine lining is no longer effected.

wrigglershouse Tue 16-Jun-09 23:45:09

Your uterus does not need to thicken, the mirena prevents the lining of the uterus (endometrium) from thickening up each month (among other effect) but as soon as it comes out the lining starts to thicken up as it would normally after a period. It gets no thinner with a mirena that it is every month at the end of your period when you don't have a mirena in.

If you don't use another form of protection you could fall pregnant during the first month with the mirena out. And while it would normally be recommended to wait until you have had your first period this is mainly so any pregnancy could be more easily dated. If you did fall pregnant before your first period there would be no reason to be any more worried that with any other pregnancy. And almost everyone who has had a mirena return to their normal fertility levels within 1 month.

wraighty Wed 17-Jun-09 09:50:25

I am currently 36 weeks pregnant after concieving pretty much straight away (1-2weeks) after having mirena coil removed.

longhairedchiefofstaff Wed 17-Jun-09 20:35:33

I'm 13 weeks pregnant after conceiving 3 months after having a Mirena coil removed. I think they like you to have one period before getting pregnant because it makes it easier to date the pregnancy but it's not essential :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now