Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sharp stabbing breast pain!

(9 Posts)
piggybank Thu 11-Jun-09 21:22:21

Hello,

Last night I was woken up by sharp stabbing pain in my left breast and have had some similar although less intense pain today.

I am 15 weeks and 5 days.

The only reference I can find to breast pain in pregnancy is about tenderness in the first trimester. My breasts were tender in the first 12 weeks and still are (I went up two cup sizes!), but I have never felt this sort of pain and it has really frightened me.

Is this normal or should I see my doctor??

Please help!!!!!

ErikaMaye Thu 11-Jun-09 21:30:21

I was in the hospital a few weeks ago (Was dehydrated after a sickness bug) and mentioned that I'd had pains on and off "down there" and in both of my breasts, and they told me it was totally normal to have odd sensations and occassional pains in all parts of the body during pregnancy.

If you're still concerned though, speak to your midwife or your doctor. I hope they can put your mind at ease.

hobnob57 Thu 11-Jun-09 21:33:11

piggy it could possibly be rib pain. Once things below start growing, everything else gets shoved upwards and your ribs are forced to expand a bit (have your bras got a bit tighter?). I find that sometimes I get a rib that 'sticks' and doesn't move up and down like it should when I breathe. It feels like a sharp shooting breast pain. The only way I've ever got rid of it is to inhale really deeply and exhale slowly a few times - seems to unstick the rib. worth a try.

piggybank Thu 11-Jun-09 22:00:09

Thank you both so much for replying, I already feel more at ease. I will see if it happens again before going to the doctor and in the mean time move my bra on to the next hook!!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Piggybank i have had excactly the same pain and in my left breast too, it started today and really worried me as i had a lump removed from that breast 2 years ago. Im 15 weeks 3 days. I cant remember having these pains with my DS.

ErikaMaye Fri 12-Jun-09 18:28:15

anniebigpants - If you had a lump there then maybe you should go to your doctor, although it might be because your breasts are growing with the pregnancy... I hope it eases off soon.

piggybank I'm glad you're feeling a bit better It helped me getting some decent bras - I've had no pain in my boobs since I did, and they were killing me before (Have gone up to a G cup for goodness sakes..!)

piggybank Sat 13-Jun-09 10:28:40

Hello,

I went to see my doctor on Friday and he gave me a thorough examination. He said that because hormones make your ligaments loosen it is easier to pull things out of place without meaning to. He thinks I pulled the muscle in my sleep and the pain woke me up.

I’m not sure if it felt like a pulled muscle but at least he said that my breasts otherwise looked healthy.

Thanks ErikaMaye! I have invested in some support bras. However I still sleep on my front (even though the first trimester has seen them grow from B to E in size) and it is getting a little uncomfortable with my stomach starting catch my boobs up. So I am going to try sleeping on my side instead!

Because my mother had breast cancer, it really put my mind at rest to check with my doctor.

Annie, if you have had a lump then, I think you should get it checked out too, to put your mind at ease.

Thanks again for all your replies!

ErikaMaye Sat 13-Jun-09 18:33:34

piggybank - I'm so glad he gave you the all clear He'd have noticed if there was something nasty going on, so even it wasn't a muscle, its good news.

I've found this helps if you're starting to sleep on your side - I had to when I first damaged my back and now find it incredably comfortable! - try if you can to sleep against a wall with a pillow against it. Have you started sleeping with a pillow between your legs? It eases the back pain for some reason

bevlin Mon 15-Jun-09 13:34:51

I had weird sharp pains in my right breast last week then my left this week. My sharp pains were right behind the nipple. I didn't get these pains with my DS so I was manically checking for lumps. I bet with me it will be my reluctance to go and get maternity bra's. Im nrly 11 weeks and still wearing underwired bra's. I just hate maternity underwear but have to go get measured.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now