Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Chronic Diarrhea and 33 weeks Pregnant

(16 Posts)
LIttleMcF Fri 05-Jun-09 10:27:37

Well, this is my first new post on mumsnet, so nice post to introduce myself...!

Hope all you mums to be are doing well, and I would very much appreciate some advice.

I have chronic diarrhea (between 3 - 5 'incidents' per day) and have had for two months (at least). I haven't been worried by it as I haven't been sick or anything and just thought it was part of the pregnancy (this is our second child, but never had similar problems before). My diet is very healthy, with fresh fruit and veg, 'proper' food every night followed by a salad, and I drink about 2 litres of water per day, sometimes more.

I have a very tough constitution and have never had a delicate 'system' so I'm very surprised at my body letting me down like this!

I told the midwife the other day, having failed to mention it before as otherwise I felt perfectly well, and she has told me visit dr, which I will do. However, naturally I'm now starting to to worry. I haven't put any weight on for about 5 - 6 weeks, although my overall weight is still fine at around 1 1/2 stone.

Any thoughts or advice from you lovely ladies? Many thanks in advance. x

I assume you don't actually weigh one and a half stone grin

You need to go to the docs - the danger is you will become dehydrated and go into premature labour. I was admitted and given hartmanns (basically they feed fluid intravenously) and starved to give my system time to recover.

So go to the GP - you may have a problem if it's been going on for several months - quite often ongoing health problems show up in pregnancy because your system is under strain!

LIttleMcF Fri 05-Jun-09 16:11:29

Hmmm...missed out a vital word...indeed should have said weight 'gain'... I'm not quite that dainty!

Blimey - was that a first/second/both pregnancies if you don't me asking? Just curious as to why I'm having problems this time around.

Did you identify an underlying cause?

Thanks for the reply. x

Second pregnancy - cause was umm France apparently. It developed after I ate something in France and didn't go till I went into hospital. Was pretty odd because I felt fine apart from the squits but they still admitted me.

MadamAnt Mon 08-Jun-09 08:53:05

LittleMcF - I'm 26 weeks into my third pregnancy pg and have also had very loose poo (though usually only once a day) for the last couple of months. I've also been to the docs and have seen a consultant, partly because I have a history of Crohn's disease (inflammatory bowel disease). However, I haven't had a flare up for about a decade, and this feels nothing like the symptoms I had then (intense pain and no diarrhea), so I personally don't think it's Crohn's. I generally feel great, it's just the runny poo which is very unusual for me (I usually do lovely perfect poos grin).

I'm now waiting on the results from a barrage of blood and poo samples.

Not much advice really, but you have my sympathy. It's reassuring to know that there's someone else out there with a similar problem

MadamAnt Fri 12-Jun-09 08:36:16

How did your doc appt go?

katster37 Fri 12-Jun-09 11:02:53

Hmmm, I am 17 weeks pregnant with my first and have been up all night with diarrhoea... Don't think it's something I ate, have a feeling it's a bug but is the general consensus to go to GP? Or does it need to have lasted longer than a couple of days? Have been feeling gurgly in the tummy dept all week.
LittleMcF hope you're improved?

bacon Fri 12-Jun-09 14:29:10

Sounds like IBS which is made worse by pregnancy. So so common.

Pop to the chemist and try a few over the counter remedies. Keep a diary of what your eating too.

I'm a suffer and found I had bouts on my last pregnancy. I would suffer all night and a few days after and then feel awful for about a week. Started at 5 months and then went and came back towards the end. With all the hormones, stomache and bowels being squeezed it its surprising.

Gosh drinking all that water why? no need to you a probably drinking far too much which isnt helping. You get all the fluid from your healthy diet. Most good foods incl meats are over 50% water.

corblimeymadam Fri 12-Jun-09 14:33:21

LittleMcF - very jealous of your healthy diet. I just can't manage it!!!

Katster - I was up all Wednesday night! HAd to take yesterday off as was soooo washed out and 48hr rule applies etc. Must be a bug as I feel ok today.

Hope you are all feeling better!

hi, hope everyones doing ok.
im 34 weeks tomorrow and for the past 3 days have had diarrhea,lower back pain and pressure (down there)is this normal or should i call my midwife? i dont have a clue what to do, everyone i speak to just says "you'll be fine" but thats no use! lol any advice would be appreciated x

laurawantsababy Thu 02-Jul-09 14:23:27

Hi and welcome to MN smile

I had this from 36 weeks. I told my midwife and her response was 'I hope your not getting a bug'! As soon as I had had dd it went (typical because its then I could have done with it!!)

Im sure it started when dd head was engaged so put it down to that.

dont mean to sound silly but what does dd mean? its probably something really obvious isnt it lol, im got a tight feeling in my tummy and the occasional ache in my tummy when i move

laurawantsababy Thu 02-Jul-09 19:43:23

dd = darling daughter!

There used to be a list of what everything meant but I cant see it now. Anyone know where it is??

laurawantsababy Thu 02-Jul-09 19:45:14

that's great thanx

ok so i called my midwife just to be sure and was asked to visit the hospital and they done a load of tests
it turns out its just braxton hicks contractions and the heat isnt helping the swelling any (cant believe it HEAT in Scotland lol)
ive been advised to just take it easy
the baby is completely fit and healthy

just thought i'd post a wee note to say and thanx again for the advice x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now