Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

co-codamol in pregnancy???

(67 Posts)
memoo Thu 05-Mar-09 10:51:14

Does anyone know if it safe to take?

Was given it by the EPU but then keep reading that all you should take in pregnancy is paracetamol

Am confused?!

Diege Thu 05-Mar-09 11:09:04

I think anything codeine-based is ok to take in pregnancy (that and paracetomol, not ibruprofen etc). Sure someone will be along soon who can confirm smile

snooks Thu 05-Mar-09 11:11:56

I think the same as Diege, the midwives give you co-codamol immediately after the birth for afterpains, so it's definitely ok for breastfeeding (sorry not much help at this stage but logically I suppose if it's ok for bf it would be safe for pg too??)

helenlouisey Thu 05-Mar-09 12:50:54

Hi Memoo

I was prescribed co-codamol by my consultant for back problems when I was 18 weeks pregnant, might be worth you calling NHS direct first to check before you take them though?

sweetkitty Thu 05-Mar-09 12:53:08

I have been given them in pregnancy.

Also for afterpains too.

Two make me woozy but am fine with one.

upagumtree Thu 05-Mar-09 13:11:55

yes, co-codamol is perfectly fine to take during pregnancy.

PerArduaAdNauseum Thu 05-Mar-09 13:13:38

And does anyone seriously expect NHS direct to be able to give you a decent answer? hmm

brettgirl2 Thu 05-Mar-09 13:35:55

I would certainly be more likely to believe EPU - they should know surely?

ThePregnantHedgeWitch Thu 05-Mar-09 13:52:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nickytwotimes Thu 05-Mar-09 13:54:38

Codiene is fine in pg.
I was prescribed teh heavy duty stuff for back pin in pg.

I was given it in labour.

helenlouisey Thu 05-Mar-09 14:04:23

I've always had really good advice from NHS direct PerArduaAdNauseum, maybe I've just been lucky ?

PerArduaAdNauseum Thu 05-Mar-09 14:49:33

@Helenlouisey - yes you have! I phoned when DS tiny, gave symptoms, she said 'let me just see what I can find' and then came back to say 'hmm, green stools, I'm mostly getting links to B&Q' shock. Did she really think I couldn't google for myself? hmm

memoo Thu 05-Mar-09 15:01:10

Thanks for all the replys guys, feel a lot better about taking them now.

PerArdua, that actually made me laugh grin

MidJane Sun 25-Apr-10 22:23:42

As a Midwife I would like to suggest please do not take co codamol (codiene) in pregnancy, particularly in later stages - baby can be born with signs and symptoms of addiction if taken regularly. Under no circumstances take any codiene based medication whilst breastfeeding - it can be accumulative in the baby's system and can be very dangerous.

nunnie Mon 26-Apr-10 10:20:45

I was prescribed it in early pregnancy due to cyst pain by consultant, was told not to take after 27 weeks though, never told me why though, just told me it is not advised after 27 weeks.

nunnie Mon 26-Apr-10 10:21:40

I should say I only took it a few times, cos it knocked me out.

mumandlovingit Mon 26-Apr-10 10:21:54

i agree with misjane. i am prescribed them regualry for migraine but was told immediatly to stop taking them when i was pregnant. was prescribed a low dose co codamol for spd and told not to take them in the third trimester as it can effect babys breathing and make baby addicted.

reikizen Mon 26-Apr-10 10:35:44

Due to the lack of evidence, we usually say only paracetamol is safe to take in pregnancy. The amount of codeine in co-codamol is very small indeed and as long as it is taken for a short time I wouldn't have any worries about it as long as the person prescribing it was aware you are pregnant. (Don't forget we give labouring women pethidine and diamorphine!!) However, if paracetamol alone resolves the pain, just take that. Codeine can make you constipated though so avoid it if that is already a prob for you. As regards breastfeeding, codeine can very rarely have a serious effect on babies, but is generally thought safe, if only for a short period of time(just after delivery for example) and best avoided for the constipation probs, especially if you have stitches.

pookamoo Mon 26-Apr-10 10:38:42

I was prescribed it for back pains in late pregnancy. It is fine, as far as I know.

As a m/w I would say if you've been presecribed co-codamol then take it if you feel you need it. But if you haven't been prescribed it then don't get over the counter co-codamol as it should only be taken under the advice of a Dr in pregnancy. I've know some women who have had to take it throughout their pregnancy even though the Drs do generally prefer women to try and cut down in the third trimester.

And on our p/n ward women are frequently given co-codamol, inc breastfeeding mums. If its a short term thing such as lscs pain relief then should be fine. But again same advice about if prescribed, don't keep getting it over the counter and taking it for months on end.

beanlet Mon 26-Apr-10 14:34:39

Only on the advice/prescription of your doctor.

porcamiseria Mon 26-Apr-10 14:40:45

I had it, and other coedine based ones. They would not prescribe if not safe

GlitteryBalls Sat 11-Dec-10 22:01:53

Sorry to reawaken this thread, but I've just cricked my neck and I think it might have trapped nerve or something as I am in agony. I have some cocodamol that I was prescribed about 6 weeks ago for stomach pain which is now resolved and I only took them a couple of times back then. Do you think it will be ok for me to take a couple now to help me sleep as a one off til it either eases off or I get chance to see/speak to someone about it? I don't think just paracetamol will cut it! I am 35+3.

wigglesrock Sat 11-Dec-10 22:36:39

GlitteryBalls I have taken co-codamol recently on the advice of my GP, due to back pain caused by a car accident which has been aggravated by pregnancy!!! I am 31 weeks, I took two to help me sleep when pain was severe. Hope this helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now