Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Sterilisation in planned c-section

(11 Posts)
persil Mon 10-Nov-08 10:35:21

Hi. I am having planned c-section for dc3 in 3 weeks and I am contemplating being sterilised at the same time. Does anyone have any experience of this (good or bad) as I seem to be getting mixed opinions. Medical staff suggest it is straight forward and a good idea, other people (non-medical and no personal experience) think it causes complications. Help!

I am surprised you say that the medical staff think its a good idea...

Whilst pg with ds2 I half joked that if I had a section I would ask to be sterilised at the same time.
Day before my due date the consultant said he was breech and started booking me in for a section the next day.
'Can I be sterilised while you're doing it?'
'No its our policy not to do it during a section'
'But I don't want any more babies'
'A lot of ladies say that when they are at the end of a difficult pregancy and then change their minds later on'
'But I'm 43 I really don't want any more children'
'I'm sorry its policy we don't accept requests for sterilisation from ladies about to give birth in case you change your mind later'
'But I'm 43 I REALLY REALLY won't be changing my mind later'

To no avail.

tbh he also said that even if it IS planned, sometimes during a section things don't go straightforwardly and then it can't be done.

They said I would have to re-apply later on and have it done separately.

But quel surprise with 2 pre-schoolers now we seem to have been using the 'gerroff knackered mummy' method of birth control grin

I had one after my 4th CS and had no problems with medical staff - think this was because they didn't feel I should have any more CS. I didn't want any more operations either (although I would secretly have liked more DCs, even though we're not sure we would have coped!).

I have had no complications, and the only complication I have heard about having one during a CS is that everything is swollen and it can be harder to do and less reliable. However, that is hearsay, and I have no evidence for that.

I am pleased I did have one then, because I knew more DCs were not really an option, and I have been able to move on to a new stage in my life. I didn't want the hassled of having to go back in to hospital later on with the resultant childcare hassles.

If you are really sure you don't want any more, then go for it. But if there is the slightest doubt, then I understand it they can do one with keyhole surgery later on.

persil Mon 10-Nov-08 11:05:13

The consultant said that they were wary of doing them in case women were hormonal at the time and later changed their mind. He said however that if I mentioned it at every appointment so they knew I was sure then it would be allowed. It has been written into my notes now. My concern is whether it is effective or slows down recovery.

It didn't slow down my recovery at all - and thus far it has been effective! The operation took longer, which I found a bit nerve racking, but they would have let me change my mind at the last minute - literally while I was on the table.

persil Mon 10-Nov-08 13:10:40

Thanks for the info. How much longer did the op take?

joyfuleyes Mon 10-Nov-08 13:39:48

They offer it at my local hospital, I'm pretty sure they'll ask me this time if I want it (5th pregnancy if I get to delivery it'll be my third child/c-section). It takes a bit longer but doesn't make recovery more difficult. I think there's a slightly higher failure rate when they do it so soon after a pregnancy.

Sorry, can't remember exactly but perhaps an extra 15 minutes or so.

Flumpybumpy Mon 10-Nov-08 14:10:03

I am being sterilised during my planned section next week. I have been told it will take about 5mins. I have been warned though that it has a lower success rate when done after during a section than if you wait a year and have it done then, something to do with swollen tubes????

Anyway, despite this I am still going ahead, will let you know how it went.

redflipflops Mon 10-Nov-08 15:10:57

I asked my MW about this a month ago (at booking in) and she said they won't do it to pg women as they might change their minds later etc... Obviously it must depend on your region/hospital.

This is my 3rd baby - will be a c/s and I def don't want any more.

DH will have to have snip (I've had enough ops)!

pinknade85 Mon 19-May-14 13:52:46

Iv just had my 3rd cs 4 weeks ago and got sterilisation a with no problem x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now