Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Accuracy of gender at 12 week scan

(13 Posts)
V1KK1M Wed 22-Oct-08 13:58:40

Hi,

I had my Nuchal scan and they said that it looked like a little boy but could only be 80% sure.

I just wondered if anyone else had any experience of this and whether or not it turned out to be right?

badkitty Wed 22-Oct-08 14:52:03

They told my SIL she was having a boy at 12 week scan and turned out to be right - think it is very hit and miss though. They should be able to confirm for you in a few weeks though!

beautifulgirls Wed 22-Oct-08 14:53:08

I don't think it is all that accurate from what I have heard. The only person I know who has been "told" at 12 weeks was told she was having a little boy. Her daugher is almost two now!

No1GruffaloHunter Wed 22-Oct-08 14:54:50

Very inaccurate at 12 weeks...much more accurate at 20 (particularly if its a boy), but they still get it wrong...

hatrick Wed 22-Oct-08 14:55:33

I found out ds was a boy at 12 weeks.
I know 4 others who found at 12 weeks and all were correct. We all had same sonographer.

Sariska Wed 22-Oct-08 19:14:13

The sonographer at my 12 week scan told me that he was 98% certain that my DC was a boy. As indeed he turned out to be. The sonographer - actually a consultant obstetrician - explained that although at that age boys and girls appear to look the same, the angle of a tube that will become the genitals differs between the sexes. If it's angled at more than a certain number of degrees (I'm afraid I've forgotten the magic figure) away from the back then it's more likely to be one sex (again, I forget which - [blames ongoing pregnancy brain]) and if it's less than that number of degrees then it's more likely to be the other sex. I guess it's an imprecise science (and I have no idea how anyone assesses the angle) and the doctor did also say that a 12 week old foetus identified as a girl was more likely to turn out to be a boy than vice versa.

Qally Thu 23-Oct-08 01:18:12

Told me the same at FMC nuchal at 12 weeks. They were right.

UmSami Thu 23-Oct-08 01:38:09

At 13 weeks was told 'it's a boy' every scan since (and I've had alot) it's been a girl...I'll let you know when he/she get's here (39+2 at mo)

surprisenumber3 Thu 23-Oct-08 08:46:05

at my 11 week dating scan was told 'I have a suspicion it's a boy'.

4 days later, at my nuchal fold scan, was told I was not 11 weeks, but 12+5 and it was too early to tell what sex!

So, in my heart I think it's a boy. But trying not to think too much until 20 week.

Apparently there is a 'nub' on all boys and girls at that stage which look the same. but if it's a flat nub it's most likely to be a girl and if it's sticking out at 30 degrees or more in relation to the spine, then it's more likely to be a boy.

V1KK1M Thu 23-Oct-08 08:53:39

Thanks for all your responses - I willpost after my 20 week scan (27th Nov) just to let you all know what it turns out to be!

I'm not fussed. I have a DD and this one is due exactly a year after so would be handy if it is a girl as I have all the stuff but DH is secretly hoping it's a boy!!!

CoteDAzur Thu 23-Oct-08 08:59:16

We found out DD's sex at 12 week scan.

Both boys and girls have an external genitalia at this stage. Girls' looks down and is later incorporated into the body. Boys' looks up and remain external.

frasersmummy Thu 23-Oct-08 08:59:49

Due to previous problmes my scan was done by consultant obstetrician who I knew well and he told me 100 % at 12 weeks it was a boy

The midwife was shocked and said you cant say that its too early to tell. He giggled and said .. I'm an expert .. its a boy and showed her what he was seeing on the scan. She just laughed and said .. aye aye aye .. its too early to tell.

I had soo many scans after this and at everyone consultant said its a boy.. and he was right.

V1KK1M Fri 28-Nov-08 09:36:37

I just wanted to let you all know and confirm that I am indeed having a little boy (so they were right - for the time being anyway)!

Thanks for all your posts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now