Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

scar pain in second pregnancy after c section?

(15 Posts)

Any one else have this? Is it normal? (am 24 weeks). Pain is like a pulling at bottom of bump, sometimes more on the left side than the right. Seems to be worse when i change position /get up quickly/do lots of walking. Should i be worried? Opinions please.

CookieMonster2 Fri 17-Oct-08 17:11:10

I wouldn't say pain, but I can definately feel mine pulling. It doesn't bother me though so I haven't mentioned it to the midwife.

pollyblue Fri 17-Oct-08 18:58:42

I'm really glad you've asked this, I'm 22 weeks with twins and have had on and off pulled muscle-like pain, quite deep inside, around the left side of my scar. Last night I woke up several times when I turned over and it hurt. Like you it's worse if I move quickly, or I'm lugging dd around. It's been worrying me a little so I hope there are a few more mumsnetters long with CookieMonster2 who can reassure us we're not about to unravel! grin

Guitargirl Fri 17-Oct-08 19:00:56

I have this too! I am currently 25 weeks with a huge bump and feel pain, especially if I get up from bed or from the floor too quickly. It's also itching like crazy!

McDreamy Fri 17-Oct-08 19:01:10

I get this. Sometimes when I try to get up quickly it's like I've just come up against a brick wall.

LackaDAISYcal Fri 17-Oct-08 19:10:21

It isn't uncommon for this to happen and is the probably due to any adhesions breaking down as your uterus grows according to [[ http://www.caesarean.org.uk/articles/VBACScarMonitoring.html Mary Cronk]]

she also says that it might be an idea to rule out something like a UTI though.

I definately had this around the same time and it did pass. I'm now 37 weeks and the scar on the outside feels tender and I can feel wee bumps underneath.

As suggested by Cronk; I am currently "getting to know my scar" grin

LackaDAISYcal Fri 17-Oct-08 19:10:48


Thanks everyone. glad this seems to be normalish!
Guitargirl, you still posting on the feb antenatal thread?

Hi LackaD [waves] Thanks for the link, will read with interest.
Hope we can meet up once you've got used to your new little bundle.

Anyone here going for VBAC? I was intending to but now there are some potential complications with baby and i know i'll have to have CFM and i'm pretty worried about how she'll be after the birth so am thinking my chances are diminishing due to anxiety and probably being strapped to the bed (again).

LackaDAISYcal Fri 17-Oct-08 19:44:50

grin meeting up would be lovely.

I'm going for a VBAC. There are a couple of VBAC threads active at the minute, one about CFM (mine), funnily enough, and there is the VBAC support thread as well.

LackaDAISYcal Fri 17-Oct-08 19:45:42

i hope the complications aren't too serious sad

kittenloren Fri 17-Oct-08 20:01:25

Idontbelieveit - Just a quick reply as I'm MNing on the fly as I dispatch kids to bed - I had this & thought it was scar adhesions from first CS, had scan to check.

There was happily nothing awry with the scar but unfortunately the pulling pains did turn out to be SPD, which got steadily worse and floored me for the third trimester (but vanished immediately after DS arrived.)

I agreed to try for VBAC but admit I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I went over the 'deadline' and I was booked in for another CS.

In retrospect I wish I had been firmer and not agreed to try for VBAC as it added a lot of stress to the end of a fairly stressful pregnancy.


Guitargirl Sun 19-Oct-08 18:10:56

idon'tbelieveit - haven't posted on there in ages but do read it and have been following the news about TBM - I hope it all works out for her and baby.

I am still umming and ahhing about what to do about trying for a VBAC. Psychologically I am sure am going to end up with another c-section which I know isn't the best way to approach it so am probably better off just asking for an elective. GP reckons the consultant will agree if I ask for one. I would love to be able to give birth naturally but after a horrible induction last time part of me just thinks go for the elective...

Guitargirl, I too had a horrible induction last time and was determined to try for VBAC this time but now they've found echogenic bowel in the baby which can be an indication of fetal bowel obstruction, IUGR or a congenital defect so the baby is more likely to be distressed during labour and if she doesn't keep growing as normal i'll have to have a section to get her out before she's term. Part of me thinks i should just give up and resign myself to a section as then at least i'll know what's happening but if she needs surgery or special care after birth and i have a section I won't be able to go to NICU to be with her if i'm bed bound and on morphine so from that POV I'd be better to try for VBAC....

Guitargirl Tue 21-Oct-08 19:34:26

That's a difficult one - what does your consultant advise?

Consultant is basically saying wait and see but if she gets to term with no further concerns there's no reason I couldn't try for VBAC and hospital will support me. I suppose i should stop thinking about it until nearer the time as there's just no way of knowing how it's going to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now