Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

39 weeks - any tips to bring on labour

(37 Posts)
angelface18 Mon 11-Aug-08 21:48:25

I'm 39 weeks today and getting period like cramps and icky mucus but she still doesnt seem like she wants to move!
Any natural ways to try and get her moving? I've tried birthing ball, pineapple and lots of walking, all to no avail sad

JaquelineHyde England Tue 09-Apr-13 18:44:41

38+5 here and after getting over a very painful uti I think tonight may be the night that we give sex a go.

FYI Raspberry leaf tea/capsules do not help bring labour on, they help prepare the cervix to work more efficently once labour has started which can for some make the earlier stages of labour shorter.

jumpinghoops Tue 09-Apr-13 18:34:57

Sorry- not so good at making labour start but very effective at giving strong, effective contractions I think. I remember cursing myself for taking so many during my last labour!

jumpinghoops Tue 09-Apr-13 18:33:04

Teapig, the raspberry leaf are not s

Teapig Tue 09-Apr-13 13:03:48

I have no advice but marking my spot as I'll be watching this thread with interest. I'm 38+6 and baby isn't yet engaged.

I've been taking raspberry leaf capsules for the last couple of weeks to no avail. Looks like a curry and a bit of how's your father could be on the agenda!

chelsiemitchell1 Tue 09-Apr-13 10:46:40

im 39 weeks pregnant, first child, i have been getting contractions from saturday night, had the mucus plunge thing, and also been sick last night, need help on how to bring on my labour, have been taken raspberry leaft tablets the last week, and also eating pineapple, & on my birthing ball. is there anything else i can try that us think will work ??

redredwine84 Mon 18-Feb-13 10:42:06

walk as far and as fast as you can manage, really pound the pavement, when you get home exhausted run a nice hot (hotter than "recommended") bath and have a nice soak. Then head to bed and dtd... This next bit is a little TMI but works so no doubt people will try it... After ejaculation perform your own cervical sweep : )... worked both times! : )

Flisspaps Sun 17-Feb-13 10:00:49

jade I would hope everyone else on this thread has given birth now...it was started in 2008!

jadeblampied Sun 17-Feb-13 09:59:40

Must admit the sex worked first time with 1st pregnancy contractions started within 15 mins i was 37+6.
I small currently pregnant with no2 39+3 and tried everything nothing seems to be working. Guess i just got to wait longer.

Muggle1978 Mon 11-Oct-10 18:03:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cyn1 Mon 11-Oct-10 16:17:42

I'm 39 weeks tomorrow and have triedmost of the above. Had a curry and all it did was cause me heartburn and have been walking every other day. Sex is the last thing on my mind but will be the last resort!

I guess in the meantime, you can enjoy your sleep and "me" time until the bundle of joy eventually arrives. We will need it ladies!

Good luck!!

fedupmamma Thu 03-Sep-09 16:19:31

im 39 plus 3 and have tried raspberry leaf tea, sex hot curries and chillies which i nearly died from the hotness, maternity ball, walking lots and uphill, i think he must be comfy in there, but i think ill try pineapple next? fingers crossed grin

rolereversal Fri 26-Sep-08 19:30:37

get on your hands and knees and scrub the kitchen floor!!! grin

Worked for me wink

also try homeopathy, if you can find a reliable homeopath in your area.

good luck smile

jadeyp Fri 26-Sep-08 19:27:03

i am currently 36+4 and have experienced some wierd feelings today which i never did with my last 2 girls this one is a boy!!! I just wondered if anyone can tell me the difference in braxton hicks and contractions my belly was going solid 4 a few seconds then soft again along with quite bad period pain more so in my back, is this all normal or does it sound like my baby may come early?? also my breasts r very tender can anyone advise me as if i contact midwifes they have me sitting around hospitals 4 hours on end gill hmm

biglips Sun 07-Sep-08 10:20:22

how often did you all do it on the sex side before you went into labour??

as i believe ALOT of sex

WombFor1More Sun 07-Sep-08 09:36:06

Just a quick one to say I wouldn't reccommend castor oil at all as it can be very dangerous. True it makes you sick and gives you diarrhoea which can both make you dehydrated and it also has similar effects on the baby making it more liable to pass meconium before birth which in turn can lead to breathing problems. Not nice sad

My friend did this at 40wks and her otherwise healthy 9lb baby ended up in special care for 2wks due to meconium. Could have been a coincidence but not worth the risk imo.

Hope things move along soon for you ladies, good luck smile

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 06-Sep-08 23:31:42

39+2 here...just informed DH that we will be having some sex later! Been for long walk today in the driving rain and about to make a pot of RL tea. It's moving like crazy which is unusual so I'm hoping it's a sign....

biglips Sat 06-Sep-08 22:51:58

im 39 weeks too and watching this thread with interest.

summersmummy Wed 27-Aug-08 19:48:27

i am 39weeks and 3days pregnant and ive been trying since 37weeks to get my lil girl to hurry up, ive tried pineapple, sex, nipple stimulation, long walks..Uphill! raspberry leaf tea which just gave me painful braxton hix and hear i am still waiting! i am at this moment eating a hot curry.. real hot and im gettin some niggly pains in the lower region but who knows... fingers crossed the curry will do hwer nut in and make her want to come out. if this doesnt work i give up and accept that she isnt going to come till she is ready. good luck to all the mums out there. x

summersmummy Wed 27-Aug-08 19:48:16

i am 39weeks and 3days pregnant and ive been trying since 37weeks to get my lil girl to hurry up, ive tried pineapple, sex, nipple stimulation, long walks..Uphill! raspberry leaf tea which just gave me painful braxton hix and hear i am still waiting! i am at this moment eating a hot curry.. real hot and im gettin some niggly pains in the lower region but who knows... fingers crossed the curry will do hwer nut in and make her want to come out. if this doesnt work i give up and accept that she isnt going to come till she is ready. good luck to all the mums out there. x

MrsSprat Thu 14-Aug-08 02:26:20

patience and sleep. you won't regret it. Man, that first week afterwards is hard!

twinmomma Thu 14-Aug-08 01:45:52

There are quite a few ways to start labour and I am currently tring them all so will be able to give feedback shortly:

1. Red Raspberry Leaf Tea or capsules

2. Clary Sage Oil - rubbed on the bump (once it has been diluted with acarrier oil) or in the bath ( 5-6 drops is more than enough)

3. Castor Oil - 50 - 60 ml placed in a gass of orange juice to dull the taste - this will cause loose stools and may make you vomit but is supposed to work with 48 hrs in 56% of cases

4. Intimacy with a partner what got it in is supposed to get it out. prostaglandins in semen are supposed to help, some say that you must orgasm for this to be effective and there is some evidence that swallowing semen is effective as the prostaglandins are more effective when ingested.

5. Accupuncture or Accupressure are both supposed to bring on contractions - if you don't like needles accupressure is for you, this works by stimulating pressure points on the body to get contractions started.

6. Walking - the weight of the baby on the carvix is supposed to help

7. Stair Walking - same principle as walking but not for the faint hearted.

8. Evening Primose Oil - talking orally in a capsule and also breaking the capsule and inserting it into the vagina are supposed to be effective at getting the cervix to dialate and get things started.

9. Reflexology - same idea as accupuncture and accupressure - the stimulation of prssure points is thought to stimulate your bodies own energy to create contractions

10. Excessive activity or cleaning is thought to help and this is usually caused by the nesting instinct some women get.

11. Jasmine oil applied to the pulse pint 3 fingers from your wrist (diluted in a carrier oil) is supposed to help

12. Membrane sweep - to be performed by a medical professional where a finger is inserted into th vagina and through the cervix if it is ripe. The bag of waters is then gently stimulated and this is thought to cause labour to start - a vaginal examination can also cause this to happen

13. Hot spicy food such as a vindaloo curry

Hope this helps as it is all the information that I have gained through a trawl of the internet myself - I am ready to have my baby - good luck to all of you.

jasperc163 Tue 12-Aug-08 18:45:23

angelface,
I had a single reflexology treatment the day before my due date and waters broke the next morning - no idea if it was a coincdence or not. I specifically told her i wanted her to get things moving and she stimulated a point on my heel which was incredibly painful ie it wouldnt normally hurt at all but this really did so I assume it was doing something specific to the pregnancy.

maybe worth a try...

ajm200 Tue 12-Aug-08 08:55:36

Last time a long walk, eating two pineapples and drinking raspberry leaf tea got my son moving. Unfortunately, my fear of hospitals stopped it again.

You could try a long bath with a few drops of clary sage and lavender essential oils. Also massage your tummy with a few drops of clary sage mixed into a base oil. The smell of clary sage oil can make you very relaxed,(some people it makes them feel slightly drunk and works like gas and air in early labour) os probably best done before bed.

mamadiva Tue 12-Aug-08 08:51:47

Oh and I had a memebrane sweep the day before not the most comfortable of things but I guess it helps.

mamadiva Tue 12-Aug-08 08:51:00

I was 40+6 and the day I wwent into labour (eventually), I went for a hot curry with DP and walked a mile back from resteraunt. Couldn't face sex or anything but those seemes to bring it on and I've heard the same about hot food from other people.

Is bloody horrible when your stuck being pregnant I don't know about anyone else but I had the airy fairy idea that because my due date had passed that all MW and doctors were liars LOL.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now