Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it safe to use canesten cream in pregnancy?

(16 Posts)
buttercupbabe Mon 04-Aug-08 07:44:45

Everything I've read on the net says see your doctor before using in pregnancy. I just wondered whether anybody has been prescribed canesten for thrush in pregnancy and if it's safe to use, or whether I really should go and see a doctor.

belgo Mon 04-Aug-08 07:45:26

yes, absolutely, you can buy it over the counter.

Kiwifruit Mon 04-Aug-08 07:54:10

I had a pharmacist in Boots say I couldn't use it, but my Dr prescribed it and said it was fine (and what a relief it was too!!! grin )

belgo Mon 04-Aug-08 07:55:31

I've used it during all my pregnancies, sometimes prescribed by a doctor, sometimes I've just bought it from the pharmacy. Once I've had a pharmacist say I needed a prescription, but all the other times, I haven't.

buttercupbabe Mon 04-Aug-08 08:01:04

Thanks so much. I guess they say to see a doctor first to safe guard themselves.

Shooflypie Mon 04-Aug-08 08:25:58

Really? My pharmacist said Canestan wasn't safe to use when pg + I seem to remember the contraindications on the side of the packet said the same. He gave me another brand and it worked fine - sorry I can't remember its name now.

bogie Mon 04-Aug-08 08:40:12

I was given canestan when pregnant

PetitFilou1 Mon 04-Aug-08 09:19:24

Yes, I used it but you can't use the tablets that you take by mouth.

MiniMarmite Mon 04-Aug-08 10:26:26

I think the reason they say under Drs supervision is because you have to be more careful using the applicator for the pessary when pregnant so they are meant to advise you about this (not that anyone has when I've requested a prescription). The cream is absolutely fine. If the problem is only minor and you have any problems with the cream irritating you then I can definitely recommend tryingg the 1% cream that's sold for athletes foot. This has worked for me anyway.

If you needed to use the pessary several times then it might be worth seeing a Dr - partly just in case it is something else and also because the active ingredient in canesten and similar products was shown to have some toxicity in animal reproductive studies.

leesmum Mon 04-Aug-08 10:40:39

i used the cream and the pessary, both prescibed by the doctor and was fine.

caramelbunny Mon 04-Aug-08 13:04:22

I had cream and pessary prescribed by doctor but as MiniMarmite says you have to be careful with applicator, in fact I was told not to use it.

buttercupbabe Mon 04-Aug-08 14:13:46

Many thanks. I ended up down at the doctor's in the end anyway and he said it's absolutely fine to use. As someone earlier said what a relief!

Goodsa Wed 14-Nov-12 15:48:18

Thanks for this information. My midwife told me to buy Canesten but the pharmacist in Superdrug today told me not to use anything. I didn't trust her unhelpful advice so I'm glad I checked here!

WitchesTit Wed 14-Nov-12 15:53:22

The doctor i saw at antenatal clinic prescribed me canasten cream AND the pessary but without the little plastic applicator because that bit is risky to use when you're pregnant.

But if you can get it for free from the GP you might as well see one and get it on prescription.

Paradisefound Wed 14-Nov-12 17:38:21

Yes same here pharmacist wouldn't give me canestan as I am pregnant. She said I need a prescription. So I sent my mum into the chemist to get some for me as its a 2 week wait for dr. It's not licensed for use in pregnancy so the pharmacist can't sell it for use in pregnancy without prescription. I asked the midwife she said no to canestan tablets, cream ok, use pessary without applicator.

looneytune Wed 14-Nov-12 17:58:26

I've used both in previous pregnancies and funny enough just got the cream and pessary again yesterday and was just told not to use the applicator. Can't have the tablets though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now