Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Brown discharge in early pregnancy? Anyone else had this?

(302 Posts)
lewpylew Mon 07-Feb-05 19:27:06

I am just over 6 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby and woke up this morning to find some browny coloured discharge when I wiped(soory for TMI!). I have seen the doctor and called the maternity unit who say as long as it is not accompanied by pain it is fine and to rest and keep an eye on it.

Just wanted some reassurance! I have a stitch like pain but it is by my naval on the right hand side, so I think too high up to be connected to baby. I think I have probably pulled a muscle, but just worrying!

Please help!

Emma xx

AitchTwoCiao Tue 13-May-08 12:01:46

oh gosh, sweetheart. can you afford a pregnancy test? that would be where i'd start. remember there are likely to be lots of reasons and possibilities but you do need to rule a pregnancy out first of all.

Piffle Tue 13-May-08 12:02:25

lozz tell the doc and they will do a pregnancy test.
Be aware of pain though as I had this and mine was ectopic

AitchTwoCiao Tue 13-May-08 12:04:23

true, you could go to the GP. but quickly, like today or tomorrow, just so that you know what you're dealing with. smile

would your mum be a good person to confide in or do you want to stick with us for the moment?

pinkmook Tue 13-May-08 12:09:02

Hi Lozz, yes definitely bring this up at your doctors app. When is it?

jules2829 Wed 25-Jun-08 08:47:55

I am 38 years old and 6 weeks 2 days pregnant. This is my second pregnancy - first ended in m/c at 5 weeks. I have had very light abdominal pain for a week (more like stomach ache than period cramps)and a discharge that is milky but with some brown bits in it (not many). Am panicking thinking am having m/c again

nickyx Wed 25-Jun-08 21:10:34

i am 16 years old and have been takin the pill 4 about 2 years, 4 months ago a stopped taking it after only taking the first weeks amount of tablets leaving the rest not taken. after doin this i didnt come on and had unprotected sex wiv me bf of 3 years a number of times. i have only just come on and had my period like normal, so i started taking the pill again. since i finished my period i have had quite a bit of brown discharge 4 around 1-2 weeks im not sure wat 2 do or wat it is any suggestions ??

hay2009 Mon 28-Jul-08 21:07:48

hi i nearly 7weeks into pregnancy and today have notice so brown colour discharge. i have had a still born before so am really worried looking for some reasurance

maltesenaty Tue 05-Aug-08 19:24:24

my last period was on the 2nd july, and it was expected again on the 26th but never came. on the 30 and 31 july i did 2 pregnancy tests and a blood test showing all positive. the blood test showed that i am 2 wks pregnant, ans i had ovulation late. today i saw brown discharge, i went for an ultrasound, 3d, nothing appeared as the gynae told be maybe i have only 2 wks, and its too early, afterwards i had brown with little red discharge, but now no more red, only brown. my gynae told me that maybe its only discharge from an old infection. i am worried coz 6 mnths ago i had a m/c but i immediately saw blood.

clairey80 Mon 18-Aug-08 17:01:41

i've just been to the loo, wiped, and brown discharge there, only been trying to conceive for about 10 days, period due in 7 - 10 days but first month off pill (only took it for 2 months though) so could be period coming early??

too early to test yet so not sure??

have slight period type pains at the moment too............any advice??

minnymee Fri 26-Sep-08 22:20:32

Just wanted to say thank you to all the kind people who have offered reassurance on this thread. I am 8 weeks and have had brown discharge for a week and its finally stopped today. I also had my first scan today and was told I have a lovely healthy pregnancy with a strong heartbeat. I was told that it was probably implantation bleeding and that their was no sign of any bleeding around the egg sack. I had to pay for a private scan but it was worth every penny for the extra reassurance. I am off for a very good nights sleep. I hope this message offers some reassurance to other readers.

moomoo88 Sat 25-Oct-08 14:51:52

hiya. duno if anyone cn help me,i missed my period 6 days ago and instead had brown discharge? i did a test 3 days after missed period and it came out negative does this mean im not pregnant? i also have bad lower back ache and cramping in my stomach. am very worried? pls help.

babymeg Sat 10-Jan-09 20:35:49

Hi. I just found this sight and I already feel better about my situation. I found out I'm Pregnant a week ago and I'm nearly 6 weeks but I have just started getting a little brownish discharge when wiping(soz tmi) not a lot just a little but am quite worried about it. I had miscarriage 3 months ago and really dont want to have another one. What can I do to prevent it happening?

lizardgirl Sat 10-Jan-09 21:07:30

Just found this site today. I am about 5 weeks now and had numerous blood tests to check my HGC levels as they were low. I was sent to see the early pregnancy unit at my local hospital who did more blood tests and said they were ok and to go for a scan in 2 weeks. I have had a browny discharge (not much)now for a couple of days when i wipe and for 1 day was red blood (also not much), i have an ache like period pain too. I have read it is nothing to worry about but nobody at the hospital seemed to take it seriously and now i am worried as i have 2 weeks until my scan and google gives loads of conflicting advice.
Please help.

babymeg Sat 10-Jan-09 22:32:36

mines the same, haven't had red blood but same symptoms as yourself, i just wish i could get past the first trimester and i'd feel much more relaxed about it, fingers crossed for both of us wink

xxhunnyxx Sun 11-Jan-09 00:39:48

babymeg and lizardgirl I understand how u feel but try not to worry too much.
I didn't find out that I was pregnant till I was 7 weeks pregnant because I kept getting bits of blood when I went to the toilet and had achey pains too, I was convinced that my period was about to turn up so didn't bother testing.
I carried on getting bleeding on and off up until 11 weeks.
My GP assured me that it wasn't anything to worry about as in early pregnancy not all of your uterous is taken up by the pregnancy.
It is more common than you realise, when I mentioned it to people I was amazed at how many people said 'oh yes the same happened to me too'.
I'm now 15 weeks pregnant and my baby is fighting fit! So it just goes to show that bleeding in early pregnancy doesn't = miscarriage.
I know it's an awful situation to be in but I'm sure you'll both be just fine.
And remember, worrying about it is the worst thing you can do. You can't control what is going on inside your body so there's no point in stressing over something that you can't control.
Congratulations to you both xxxxxx

brettgirl2 Sun 11-Jan-09 09:37:37

The reason that you are getting conflicting advice is that no-one knows what the outcome will be.

My GP was fairly plain about it - she didn't like that I had bleeding and cramping (up to 11 weeks) and said it could go either way. Fortunately I bled when I was 4 weeks, but didn't know I was pg, didn't think anything about it. It stopped for a few days until about 5+3 and I was sent to EPU at 5+4. There was some doubt about my dates anyway, so I was scanned then and they saw a hb (GP told them I was 'around' 6 weeks). I've since learnt that I was really lucky though to have this result so early. If this is re-assuring, I'm now 27 weeks.

However, it is impossible to know whether it will turn out OK for you or not. Early bleeding doesn't necessarily mean miscarriage, but unfortunately it is also a sign of miscarriage or something being wrong.

jeee Sun 11-Jan-09 10:22:25

Depending on your hospital's policies, you may be able to self-refer to their EPU. I was, and whilst I had bad news, at least I knew. It's worth finding out about this.

firstbun Sun 11-Jan-09 11:58:46

Hi, I just stumbled upon this page like a lot of people because I am worried. I am 6 weeks now and started getting a brown discharge last night. It's still going on today. It isn't just on wiping, it's on my panty liner too (sorry if TMI). My boobs used to be super sore but they aren't anymore. I'm not experiencing any pain or cramps but I do get the occasional twinge. Even though I have read all of your experiences, I still need extra reassurance. I am thinking of taking another pregnancy test tomorrow morning but I am scared at the same time. Thanks for reading this and sharing your stories.

babymeg Sun 11-Jan-09 15:12:06

Hi again thanks for the words of support it has definetely made me feel alot better today. Still got some discharge but not as much but, here's another Q! Is it normal for youe stomach to swell so early? Mines feels bloated and looks it too I cant remember last time round as it was so long ago (12 yrs)!!! Thanks again xx

xxhunnyxx Sun 11-Jan-09 20:11:59

Everybody is different, I get very bloated very easily anyway and I remember being very conscious about my stomach getting bigger from 7-8 weeks (first baby).
As far as I'm aware having a bloated stomach doesn't indicate any problem so I wouldn't read too much in to it x

babymeg Mon 12-Jan-09 17:56:49

Thanks, I hope everything is fine, I mean my boobs are very sore still and i just can't control the flatulance(lol) its terrible but apparently it comes with the territory!! Oh my god I hope it ends soon I cant take it anymore the dog keeps taking the blame bless him x x

lorik Tue 13-Jan-09 02:12:00

Hello all, I thought I would post my story to put others at ease and perhaps to calm myself?! I am 22 weeks and all week I have been experiencing the same brown discharge and some clots. It got "bad" (to me) on Sat, enough to warrant a trip to the ER. I was hooked to the dopler and babies heartrate is great (145), the U/S showed a very active healthy baby and no clots on the placenta, and after a very uncomfortable internal exam (which the speculum broke and wouldn't collapse, they had to dismantle it to get it out!) They said that all was fine and couldn't figure out why I had old blood presenting. They went on to say brown they don't really worry about. It means there was a bleed that did its thing, clotted and was now leaving my body in the only means it can. (also, early on the brown can be from implantation of the egg) It is when there is an active bleed (red) accompanied by cramps they get a little more worried. So, the long and short try not to stress. I know easier said than done as I am pregnant at 39 with my first and want this to be a stress free deal. Hope this helps and my thoughts are with you all and I hope you have amazing pregnancies!!

babymeg Fri 16-Jan-09 23:57:40

Hi again, well i had major pains wed, stupidly i helped lift lots of heavy boxes at work as my boss needed help and i didn't want to let her down as she was on her own and would've taken her ages, as i was only 6.5 weeks i never told anyone i was pregnant through fear of a mc happening again so i helped her. Later that night i got really bad back pain and more bleeding i am convinced this was the cause. Anyway i went to docs and they gave me a scan the next day to see how things were. Not good they couldn't see sack which really hurt so they took a pg test and it was neg. So upset you wouldn't believe but stayed strong till i got home, i just wish there was something i could do to make me stay pregnant! I did a test today and it says positive! What do i do as the hospital one said neg but had loads and loads of water to dilute it. Please help need advice x

Pinkscoober Mon 26-Jan-09 12:15:06

Hi, I just wanted to share my experience with you to hopefully reassure a few of you that actually having spotting is normal. I started to spot and experience brown/dark red discharge at around week 6. Obviously my first thoughts were that I was going to have a miscarriage and I absolutely convinced myself that this was the case. I rang my Doctor who on this occasion was actually very unhelpful and said "miscarriage is very common, you will just have to hope & pray that everything goes okay over the next few weeks". I came off the phone totally deflated. I actually came onto this website and read up on all of the posted threads and it helped although at the back of my mind I still felt like everything was going wrong. I remember coming home from work and wiping and there being fresh very dark red blood. I looked at my Husband and said "oh no" but because my Doctor had been of no help, I felt like a fraud going in so I literally monitoried it for the next 2 weeks. A lot of my friends who have had children said that the only time there should be a slight increase in concern is if you have bad cramps (you're going to experience some mild cramps when your Uterus expands so don't pressume the worst - I'm talking about bad period pains and you'll know the difference) and fresh blood with clotting. The brown/dark substance that many of us have experienced is "old product" which is shifting out of your system due to everything moving around inside you; it's kind of like a spring clean. So to cut a long story short, I continued to spot for 2 weeks, some days more than others and then it just suddenly stopped. I saw my Midwife at 8 weeks and she was wonderful and didn't seem phased at all by what I described. I would class myself as lucky with my pregnancy symptoms as I have suffered very little "morning" sickness and my hormones are very steady so the only reassurance of still being pregnant were my boobs which were very painful. Anyway when my Husband and I went for our 12 week scan on the 15th January I was convinved that there would be no baby...I am delighted to tell you though that infact there was a very healthy little 13.1 week baby inside of me, with a strong heartbeat and he/she was busy sleeping and sucking its thumb. I know it's hard to do but do not panic if you notice spotting, it's normal and some women have it the whole way through their pregnancy. I would suggest that if you want to seek advice, speak to a Midwife as opposed to a Doctor because Midwifes are there to specifically look after us pregnant ladies and our unborn/born babies and they listen to this kind of thing every day. I am wishing you all the best for a very healthy and happy pregnancy.

Leisa xx

Chiqa Thu 29-Jan-09 20:39:07

I had a missed-m/c last year and I did not have any bleeding?...a week before I went to see my doctor for a routine Fetal Heartbeat Scan at 16 weeks with my gp & couldn't find a heartbeart after waving the and around my tummy for about 15-20mins & said he's never came across anything like this, so he'd sent me of the U/S team & then that's when I realised I lost my baby & a week before I had very severe pain in my stomach(that's probably when my baby was struggling for her last breath I think) he said he's never came across anything like this, so he was very worried & sent me of to the U/S team & then that's when I realised I lost my baby. Now 2nd pregnant I had a period like bleed without pain for a day & then 1 day spotting the following day about 5 days after my missed period but I already knew I was pregnant three weeks after my last menstrual cycle as I tested positive before my period cam & was +. So what I'm saying is I am bleeding (red) about five days after my missed period, went to see duty doctor & he checked my cervix & said it's slighty opened & had treated it as a threatened m/c & refered me to U/S team but naive of the him to do so because I was only coming up to 5 weeks & U/Scan team would not be able to pick anyting up with the scan anyway (DAH!) & then eight days later when I went to the toilet I had brown blood on my knickers(some kind of discharge I guess, more than just spotting) & spotting for the rest of te day, went to see my gp and this time he said my cervix if firmly closed & said he's not too worried is there's brown blood with pain, will just have to hold out & see & if should it continue week after weeks owith any pain or cramp, I should go back to him immediately but I can't help but to think whether I'm going through miscarriage or is this normal? As I never experience any real pain though in both the bleed but feeling bloated ealier on in the 4th & 5th week only, I have symptoms of tiredness & tender breasts but not nausea which I had it all in the 1st pregnancy, has any1 had the same experience as I'm worried to death if the baby's maiscarried already but not realising it?... 'HELP!'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now