Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Brown discharge in early pregnancy? Anyone else had this?

(302 Posts)
lewpylew Mon 07-Feb-05 19:27:06

I am just over 6 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby and woke up this morning to find some browny coloured discharge when I wiped(soory for TMI!). I have seen the doctor and called the maternity unit who say as long as it is not accompanied by pain it is fine and to rest and keep an eye on it.

Just wanted some reassurance! I have a stitch like pain but it is by my naval on the right hand side, so I think too high up to be connected to baby. I think I have probably pulled a muscle, but just worrying!

Please help!

Emma xx

Twiglett Mon 07-Feb-05 19:28:25

yes ..its old blood / implantation bleeding

I had it, and lots of other posters have too

if you are worried you can ask for an early pregnancy scan to double check but your doctors advice is right

HTH

Twiglett Mon 07-Feb-05 19:28:51

brown blood is old blood btw

SoupDragon Mon 07-Feb-05 19:29:11

Yes, I had it with both my pregnancies and both were fine.

kid Mon 07-Feb-05 19:29:21

I had brown discharge when expecting DD, she is 6 now. I was told as long as it was brown, it was old blood. I would still try and take things easy if you can. My sister had bleeding in early pregnancy, brown and then red blood but also went on to have a healthy son who is now 15 months old.

katzguk Mon 07-Feb-05 19:30:25

with my DD i had some brown/red discharge about when my period was due they say that it can be implantation bleeding. I also then bled heavily at 8 weeks and again at 13 weeks. The scan at 8 weeks showed a blood clot just below the baby and after the second bleed at 13 weeks it was gone.

If its not too personnal if you've just had sex then this too can cause brown discharge/light bleeding due to cervical erosions.

If the GP and EMU said not to worry then just rest, i'm sure loads of others will be along giving similar stories to me.

littlemissbossy Mon 07-Feb-05 19:30:55

Yes I had this too and was kept under observation in hospital overnight, no further problems after that. Try not to worry x

MistressMary Mon 07-Feb-05 19:34:58

Hiya lewpy nice to see you here!
I'm sure everything is fine, try not to worry.

From Jensens mum.

Grommit Mon 07-Feb-05 19:36:41

I had this too with dd, was told brown blood is old blood and only to worry if it is bright red or if there is any pain. My doc thought it was errosion of the cervix. It should go in a few days - try not to worry

Twiglett Mon 07-Feb-05 19:41:00

Oh and its amazing how uncomfortable a 2nd pregnancy can be in terms of the ligaments stretching ..it does twang and feel like muscle strain

HTH too

colinsmommy Mon 07-Feb-05 19:58:01

I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago with my 2nd pregnancy, and it really worried me, because it didn't happen with my 1st. I had a scan, and everything was fine, and still is. I was 6 weeks at the time, too.

Mirage Mon 07-Feb-05 21:10:52

Yes,I had this too along with bright red bleeding during both my pregnancies.DD was born fit & healthy & I am currently 23 wks with the new baby.

As the others have said-brown blood is old blood & at 6wks is probably implantation or cervical erosion.I never did find out what caused my bleeding,but it does seem very very common.In fact I know more people who have had bleeding during pregnancy than haven't.

It does make your heart stop when you see blood,but as long as there is no pain,you should be fine.

HTH
PS Twiglett is right-I am finding this pregnancy a great deal more uncomfortable too.

JonahB Mon 07-Feb-05 21:16:53

I've had it too probably at a similar time to you. I just had a blood clot. At about 9 weeks I had some serious red bleeding, but it was just my body getting rid of the rest of the clot. It disappeared by my 12 week scan (i'm 23 weeks now).
I would suggest that if it goes on for a few days, you go and get it checked out. Better to put your mind at rest. Your hosp will give you an early scan if you ask for one and explain why

greenbug Tue 08-Feb-05 08:26:28

I am on this thread because I just wiped out some too and I am veeery worried. I am exactly like you just over 6 weeks.

HappyMumof2 Tue 08-Feb-05 09:30:11

Message withdrawn

fisil Tue 08-Feb-05 09:42:15

Congratulations lewpylew and greenbug.

I had about 4 days of brown/pink discharge at 6 weeks with ds & with this current pregnancy (now 29 weeks). I also bled at 4, 8, 9 & 12 weeks with both and 13-16 weeks with this one. In between I had a miscarriage with no bleeding at all at 6 weeks and only a tiny bit at 4 weeks. So to me bleeding in pg is healthy, not bleeding is the danger sign!

piffle Tue 08-Feb-05 09:46:29

Do not want to scare you but this was what happened to me in November
I had this old brown blood showing at 6 wks and within 20hrs I was in surgery for ectopic pregnancy
But I know most bleeding is absolutely nothing to worry about, but if you do get any unusual pain, do not hang around.
Sorry hope to god this isn't alarmist...

Mirage Tue 08-Feb-05 13:28:47

Good point Piffle (& I'm sorry about your loss)..

If the discharge/bleeding looks like prune juice then you MUST get it checked out,especially if you have any one sided pain or shoulder tip pain.

I only had the prune juice like bleeding with my ectopic & a bit of period pain type aching,but I was very lucky & was diagnosed early.

A lot of hospitals have Early pregnancy units who will accept self referrals & scan you to be sure.If you are at all concerned,give them a ring.They are really good & see women with bleeding ect all the time.

greenbug Tue 08-Feb-05 18:40:41

Very good points Mirage, Piffle, Fisil and HM!!

I actually didn't want to say it earlier not to scare anybody off, including myself, but with my previous pg I had a brown prune-juice-like discharge (now i understand the difference) at 6 weeks. I called the hospital and they asked me the usual whether I had any acute pain which I didn't and whether I was experiencing any back pain which I wasn't so the lady told me to rest and take it easy. I went to my old hospital at 10 weeks, coudn't wait for the 12 week scan (no pain whatsoever during that time) and they scanned my on the spot, especially when I told them about my discharge at 6 weeks and the doctor was surprised that I wasn't given any attention at my current hospital. So at that scan they discovered that I had blighted ovum (sac no baby).... i guess the baby left at 6 weeks.
Now when I saw it I freaked out but realised it's much less than the first time and it's like the normal CM with a bit of brown in it. At least I hope it's a better sign.
Happymumof2, with your two m/c did you have any brown/pink discharge/bleeding to warn you before the actual m/c took place?

Lexie100 Tue 08-Feb-05 18:52:21

Reading this with intrest. I'm 5 weeks now and had emergency scan last week due to ectopic scare. Thankfully my HGC levels are fine but i have been having constant period type crams since Friday. I also have brown discharge type blood but not much. I have another scan on thursday but worried this is early sign of miscarriage not ectopic. Did any of you have these symptoms.

HappyMumof2 Tue 08-Feb-05 19:22:21

Message withdrawn

Lonelymum Tue 08-Feb-05 19:26:24

I had brown bleeding by the bucket load (well, obviously that is an exageration but it didn't feel like it at the time). I too had a blighted ovum but was fortunate to have another baby there too who is going to be two next week! It is not neceassrily bad news at all.

Barbaloot Tue 08-Feb-05 22:34:16

Get it checked out. It's more than likely nothing to worry about, but as Piffle says it just might be ectopic. Symptoms sound a bit the same as my ectopic, but most of the time such symptoms aren't anything to worry about. You should still get it checked because if it was ectopic early detection can often avoid surgery (as well as serious complications). In any case getting it checked will put your mind at rest.

HappyMumof2 Wed 09-Feb-05 19:12:18

Message withdrawn

lemonfanta Wed 09-Aug-06 15:04:04

Hi,

Lewpylew, how did you get on - I am 6 weeks and have same symptoms as you - I don't have a scan until tomorrow and wondered if your systoms were fine?

Many thanks

BigWorrier Sat 12-Aug-06 10:13:52

Hi lemonfanta

A brown discharge at 6 weeks seems quite common but with varying results - some babies/some m/c. I too am 6 weeks and now have this brown discharge and am panicing big time after 2 m/c in the last year. I have had mild cramps for about 1.5 weeks with a on and off pain high up on right side. Let me know what happens and if anyone else has experienced this love to hear from you.

ricer Tue 22-Aug-06 18:50:06

Big Worrier -
I too have had a m/c b/f and then my last pregnancy was terminated due to molar pregnancy. I am now 6 weeks and have had mild cramping for 3 days and noticed some brown bleeding today. Its very light. I also read someone's post about shoulder pain...I have shoulder pain but it's in the high left shoulder. I didn't think that had anything to do with this? I'm waiting for a call back from the doctor. I too am scared due to the fact that this is the third pregnancy and i had to wait a year after terminating the molar pregnancy b/f we could try again. My thoughts are with you.

Piffle Tue 22-Aug-06 18:54:54

the shoulder pain comes from internal bleeding, is is pressure on the diaphragm
Are you getting one sided pain as well?

Piffle Tue 22-Aug-06 18:55:46

one sided abdominal pain I meant?

duchesse Wed 20-Sep-06 11:19:03

Has anyone out there had period-heavy bleeding in early preganncy (I'm 9 weeks) but without clots, been told that the embryo, whilst still alive and well, is three quarters surrounded by a haematoma (read- blood) and gone on to have a healthy preganncy? I'm googling like mad, but none of the research is very reassuring.

lolly9 Tue 09-Jan-07 15:42:17

hi everyone, im roughly 5 week preggy i did a test saturday. the next day i spotted blood which looked like period blood, it was only when i wiped myself. i have had no pains, then the following day i had a very light brown discharge. i went to the doctor and she was not giving me much hope and booked me in for a scan monday. i am still feeling sick in the morning, hunger pains, peeing more frequently, would you say this was a good sign, im so scared i just dont know what to think. ive got clear discharge now can you help sad

flicketypea Sun 21-Jan-07 10:39:39

I had spots of old blood at 5 weeks, went ot docs and was sent to EPU. They monitored me for a couple of weeks and hgc levels were not doubling but nearly.. they then told me that I was having an ectopic pregnancy... I didn't think I was the whole time.. no other symptoms.... they told me I had to choose between laparosc or methotrexate injection. We chose injection trusting their diagnosis.... we then had a scan and it showed the baby in the womb.... normal. I wish I had trusted my instinct.. they were wrong and killed our baby. think the original blood was from cervical erosion.

firsttimeprego Sun 25-Feb-07 05:53:19

I am at 9 weeks and have had moderate brown bleeding. Some cramps along with it. I was very worried, so I went to the ER. We did an ultrasound, saw the baby and heard the heartbeat. Doctor told me to sleep on my left side, *DRINK LOTS MORE WATER*, and no sex. Doc said sometimes a womans body may want to reject a perfectly good baby. This is my first pregnancy, so this may be the case. The tips above- expecially the water thing- should help my body adapt to the forign little love in my belly. He also said sex or an orgasm could induce false contractions which could be harmful. Sleep on my left side because it allows more blood flow to the placenta and uterus. I have read alot on the internet that bleeding at 7-9 weeks is normal. The cramp thing is what worries me. I hope this helps someone!!! Just take it easy! I am trying!

hotchoc Sun 25-Feb-07 07:30:37

hi, just been reading through this thread ans it coveres lots of what i was worried about so thanks, need to contact the medics for peace of mind i think. thanks

ellieandhattie Mon 26-Feb-07 11:35:05

I had this twice first time which was my 2nd pg sadly ended up in m/c but did develop quite a bit of a pain like a bad period pain about 12 hours after discharge started.

2nd time I had it on and off from 6-10 weeks with a similar sounding pain to yours and currently have my 7 week old dd2 in my arms

sammy1984 Thu 07-Feb-08 09:41:49

Hiya i thought i would post my story on brown discharge as i was so worried when it happened to me.

My partner and I had been trying to concieve for about 7 months. I had my last cycle on 25th nov 2007. At 8 weeks i started having brown discharge when i wiped, this really worried me as I had not had any morning sickness and i was also cramping and had lower back pain. I called my Mid Wife and she booked me in for an early scan. The scan showed that I was really only 6 weeks and 3 days so I must have ovulated early. The scan showed that the amniotic fluid was very low and that the embryo hadn't attached itself to the uterus wall correctly, leaving a small gap. She told me that we would just have to keep an eye on the pregnancy as she wasn't sure how it would go.

One week later I started to have slight bleeding along with the brown discharge. This really scared me, I called my Midewife again and she took me in for another scan. This time, the amniotic fluid was normal and the embryo had attached completely. I was overjoyed. She still had no explination for the bleeding but she says she was very happy with my progress and not to worry as bleeding in early pregnancy is very commen. I am not 9 weeks and awaiting my 12 weeks scan.

I was really upset during this time and now am more at ease. The dischrage and bleeding stoppped yesterday and my morning sickness also started this monring. Fingers crossed for all and try not to worry to much, grin

aiti72 Thu 07-Feb-08 10:29:48

Hi ladies, I've had some brown discharge this morning as well, and I'm 16 weeks pregnantshock. Really scary, trying to get in touch with my midwife now, but doubt they can do anything but wait.. Anyone else had it this late..?

Julezboo Thu 07-Feb-08 10:34:56

aiti - o had it right through till 20 weeks, hope you can get hold of your midwife x

thais Thu 07-Feb-08 16:26:24

Hi, I have the same problem. I am now 7 weeks and have a very light brown spotting but no pain. I had a scan last week but it was too early. It is not an ectopic pregnancy though. I just have to wait until my next scan in a week's time. I am concerned as this didn't happen with my first pregnancy. I wonder if this is something to do with the C section I had with my DD 10 months ago

nappynoonoo Thu 07-Feb-08 16:33:41

lewpylew, I had this at about 16 weeks, the MW said it sounded like old blood but said I could go down to the ADU if I was worried. I went and everything was ok.

I think it if it is red blood and acompanied with pain that you need to see someone.

Jope all goes well for you.

AVT Tue 04-Mar-08 12:55:02

Hi
I'm completely paranoid. I have done three pregnancy tests, all positive and have missed only one period.Doc says I'm about 5/6 weeks. I don't have any symptoms at all, no sore breast or sickness but this morning found a very slightly brown discharge when I wiped. It looks a little like a very early start of a period. Wondering if I really am pregnant, help!

Alibobster Wed 05-Mar-08 14:06:11

AVT, try not to worry, although easier said than done. I had some brown spotting at the start of my pregnancy, so much so I though that my period had come. It was only because it stopped after 1 day that I decided to do a HPT and got a BFP. The same happened again at 10 weeks but everything was fine. Oh and I never had any symptoms either,in fact if it wasn't for the fact that I can now see my ds who is 20 months old, I'd still find it hard to believe I was lucky enought to have ever gotten pregnant (hope that makes sense!)

AVT Wed 05-Mar-08 18:42:36

Thanks Alibobster, really appreciate the advice.

Alibobster Wed 05-Mar-08 19:51:22

No probs and huge Congratulations, forgot to say that earlier

Clairedaz Fri 21-Mar-08 20:38:50

I am 8 weeks pregnant with brown discharge. I had a scan at the beginning of the week as very worried - they could see a flicker within the sac so all is okay.
I am so scared though as last October had the same brown discharge (was not given a scan)at 9 weeks and it was not until my 12 week scan that I found out I had suffered a mis-miscarriage.
Does anyone know if these are connected?
Was told that I should only worry if red blood, trouble is I suffer from IBS so if get any stitch or cramps go into panic mode.

I know this should be a happy time but am so worried.

cheerfulvicky Fri 21-Mar-08 21:48:50

I had this in the early weeks of my pregnancy (I'm 18 weeks now) but it only lasted for a day, I think it was just one 'lot' as it were. When I mentioned it to the midwife at the booking apt I asked if it could have been implantation bleeding, and she said yes it could. Though it seemed a bit late for that. Anyway, the general consensus seems to be if there if no cramping or fresh red blood, you have less to worry about.
Hope things go well for you! Let us know.

stressylass Sat 03-May-08 14:24:43

Hello,

Im about 7 weeks and jus had a bit of a break down at work becuse I had brown discharge.... had some yesterday too.... Had some mild cramps yesterday but nothing other than that.... I dont even hsve a midwife yet and all nhs direct have said is to rest.... I really need to know whats going on, it would kill me to get to my 12 week scan and find out its all gone wrong... Am I worrying over nothing? Would I e waisting time if I went to a&e?

sassy1978 Tue 06-May-08 19:30:49

im 5 weeks pregnant with my fourth pregnancy, two of which were happy endings.
i have had some bloody type discharge with period type cramps and slight back pain.
could anyone tell me if they have found second third or fourth pegnancies more painful and worrying

AitchTwoCiao Tue 06-May-08 19:42:26

flicketypea, that is awful, absolutely terrible, i'm so sorry for you and your baby and dh. sad the same thing very nearly happened to me with dd but because i'd had two eps already i actually knew more about the process than the doctors and demanded another scan before metho again.

to the OP, the fact is that no-one can diagnose you over the phone or internet really, but for the record the docs really mean it that you should tell them if you're in any pain.

don't you dare be brave or self-diagnose, just tell them everything. for me, i had a stitch over the side of my navel and no shoulder pain with my eps (because my tube hadn't burst yet). once i had red blood, once brown. they shoudl take you in and scan you if you report pain, as it could be very serious. otoh, i had low hcgs, pain and bleeding in another pregnancy and it turned out to be my dd who is sleeping peacefully in her bedroom right now... so as i say, it's not something that can be diagnosed without a lot of care and scans etc. good luck.

Lozz Tue 13-May-08 11:59:32

Hey
im 16 and really unsure whether im pregnant or not... i had unprotected sex a few weeks ago, i took the morning after pill but late on the third day so i knew it was less effective, the week after i came on my period and even though it only last 3/4 days and it usually lasts up to 6 i thought nothing of it, but today i found that i had brown discharge and ive never had that before.. so i looked it up and found this site and now im quite worried as other people have had it and have been pregnant.. HELP! what shall i do? Ive got a doctors appointment soon to talk about going on the pill shall i bring this up?

AitchTwoCiao Tue 13-May-08 12:01:46

oh gosh, sweetheart. can you afford a pregnancy test? that would be where i'd start. remember there are likely to be lots of reasons and possibilities but you do need to rule a pregnancy out first of all.

Piffle Tue 13-May-08 12:02:25

lozz tell the doc and they will do a pregnancy test.
Be aware of pain though as I had this and mine was ectopic

AitchTwoCiao Tue 13-May-08 12:04:23

true, you could go to the GP. but quickly, like today or tomorrow, just so that you know what you're dealing with. smile

would your mum be a good person to confide in or do you want to stick with us for the moment?

pinkmook Tue 13-May-08 12:09:02

Hi Lozz, yes definitely bring this up at your doctors app. When is it?

jules2829 Wed 25-Jun-08 08:47:55

I am 38 years old and 6 weeks 2 days pregnant. This is my second pregnancy - first ended in m/c at 5 weeks. I have had very light abdominal pain for a week (more like stomach ache than period cramps)and a discharge that is milky but with some brown bits in it (not many). Am panicking thinking am having m/c again

nickyx Wed 25-Jun-08 21:10:34

i am 16 years old and have been takin the pill 4 about 2 years, 4 months ago a stopped taking it after only taking the first weeks amount of tablets leaving the rest not taken. after doin this i didnt come on and had unprotected sex wiv me bf of 3 years a number of times. i have only just come on and had my period like normal, so i started taking the pill again. since i finished my period i have had quite a bit of brown discharge 4 around 1-2 weeks im not sure wat 2 do or wat it is any suggestions ??

hay2009 Mon 28-Jul-08 21:07:48

hi i nearly 7weeks into pregnancy and today have notice so brown colour discharge. i have had a still born before so am really worried looking for some reasurance

maltesenaty Tue 05-Aug-08 19:24:24

my last period was on the 2nd july, and it was expected again on the 26th but never came. on the 30 and 31 july i did 2 pregnancy tests and a blood test showing all positive. the blood test showed that i am 2 wks pregnant, ans i had ovulation late. today i saw brown discharge, i went for an ultrasound, 3d, nothing appeared as the gynae told be maybe i have only 2 wks, and its too early, afterwards i had brown with little red discharge, but now no more red, only brown. my gynae told me that maybe its only discharge from an old infection. i am worried coz 6 mnths ago i had a m/c but i immediately saw blood.

clairey80 Mon 18-Aug-08 17:01:41

i've just been to the loo, wiped, and brown discharge there, only been trying to conceive for about 10 days, period due in 7 - 10 days but first month off pill (only took it for 2 months though) so could be period coming early??

too early to test yet so not sure??

have slight period type pains at the moment too............any advice??

minnymee Fri 26-Sep-08 22:20:32

Just wanted to say thank you to all the kind people who have offered reassurance on this thread. I am 8 weeks and have had brown discharge for a week and its finally stopped today. I also had my first scan today and was told I have a lovely healthy pregnancy with a strong heartbeat. I was told that it was probably implantation bleeding and that their was no sign of any bleeding around the egg sack. I had to pay for a private scan but it was worth every penny for the extra reassurance. I am off for a very good nights sleep. I hope this message offers some reassurance to other readers.

moomoo88 Sat 25-Oct-08 14:51:52

hiya. duno if anyone cn help me,i missed my period 6 days ago and instead had brown discharge? i did a test 3 days after missed period and it came out negative does this mean im not pregnant? i also have bad lower back ache and cramping in my stomach. am very worried? pls help.

babymeg Sat 10-Jan-09 20:35:49

Hi. I just found this sight and I already feel better about my situation. I found out I'm Pregnant a week ago and I'm nearly 6 weeks but I have just started getting a little brownish discharge when wiping(soz tmi) not a lot just a little but am quite worried about it. I had miscarriage 3 months ago and really dont want to have another one. What can I do to prevent it happening?

lizardgirl Sat 10-Jan-09 21:07:30

Just found this site today. I am about 5 weeks now and had numerous blood tests to check my HGC levels as they were low. I was sent to see the early pregnancy unit at my local hospital who did more blood tests and said they were ok and to go for a scan in 2 weeks. I have had a browny discharge (not much)now for a couple of days when i wipe and for 1 day was red blood (also not much), i have an ache like period pain too. I have read it is nothing to worry about but nobody at the hospital seemed to take it seriously and now i am worried as i have 2 weeks until my scan and google gives loads of conflicting advice.
Please help.

babymeg Sat 10-Jan-09 22:32:36

mines the same, haven't had red blood but same symptoms as yourself, i just wish i could get past the first trimester and i'd feel much more relaxed about it, fingers crossed for both of us wink

xxhunnyxx Sun 11-Jan-09 00:39:48

babymeg and lizardgirl I understand how u feel but try not to worry too much.
I didn't find out that I was pregnant till I was 7 weeks pregnant because I kept getting bits of blood when I went to the toilet and had achey pains too, I was convinced that my period was about to turn up so didn't bother testing.
I carried on getting bleeding on and off up until 11 weeks.
My GP assured me that it wasn't anything to worry about as in early pregnancy not all of your uterous is taken up by the pregnancy.
It is more common than you realise, when I mentioned it to people I was amazed at how many people said 'oh yes the same happened to me too'.
I'm now 15 weeks pregnant and my baby is fighting fit! So it just goes to show that bleeding in early pregnancy doesn't = miscarriage.
I know it's an awful situation to be in but I'm sure you'll both be just fine.
And remember, worrying about it is the worst thing you can do. You can't control what is going on inside your body so there's no point in stressing over something that you can't control.
Congratulations to you both xxxxxx

brettgirl2 Sun 11-Jan-09 09:37:37

The reason that you are getting conflicting advice is that no-one knows what the outcome will be.

My GP was fairly plain about it - she didn't like that I had bleeding and cramping (up to 11 weeks) and said it could go either way. Fortunately I bled when I was 4 weeks, but didn't know I was pg, didn't think anything about it. It stopped for a few days until about 5+3 and I was sent to EPU at 5+4. There was some doubt about my dates anyway, so I was scanned then and they saw a hb (GP told them I was 'around' 6 weeks). I've since learnt that I was really lucky though to have this result so early. If this is re-assuring, I'm now 27 weeks.

However, it is impossible to know whether it will turn out OK for you or not. Early bleeding doesn't necessarily mean miscarriage, but unfortunately it is also a sign of miscarriage or something being wrong.

jeee Sun 11-Jan-09 10:22:25

Depending on your hospital's policies, you may be able to self-refer to their EPU. I was, and whilst I had bad news, at least I knew. It's worth finding out about this.

firstbun Sun 11-Jan-09 11:58:46

Hi, I just stumbled upon this page like a lot of people because I am worried. I am 6 weeks now and started getting a brown discharge last night. It's still going on today. It isn't just on wiping, it's on my panty liner too (sorry if TMI). My boobs used to be super sore but they aren't anymore. I'm not experiencing any pain or cramps but I do get the occasional twinge. Even though I have read all of your experiences, I still need extra reassurance. I am thinking of taking another pregnancy test tomorrow morning but I am scared at the same time. Thanks for reading this and sharing your stories.

babymeg Sun 11-Jan-09 15:12:06

Hi again thanks for the words of support it has definetely made me feel alot better today. Still got some discharge but not as much but, here's another Q! Is it normal for youe stomach to swell so early? Mines feels bloated and looks it too I cant remember last time round as it was so long ago (12 yrs)!!! Thanks again xx

xxhunnyxx Sun 11-Jan-09 20:11:59

Everybody is different, I get very bloated very easily anyway and I remember being very conscious about my stomach getting bigger from 7-8 weeks (first baby).
As far as I'm aware having a bloated stomach doesn't indicate any problem so I wouldn't read too much in to it x

babymeg Mon 12-Jan-09 17:56:49

Thanks, I hope everything is fine, I mean my boobs are very sore still and i just can't control the flatulance(lol) its terrible but apparently it comes with the territory!! Oh my god I hope it ends soon I cant take it anymore the dog keeps taking the blame bless him x x

lorik Tue 13-Jan-09 02:12:00

Hello all, I thought I would post my story to put others at ease and perhaps to calm myself?! I am 22 weeks and all week I have been experiencing the same brown discharge and some clots. It got "bad" (to me) on Sat, enough to warrant a trip to the ER. I was hooked to the dopler and babies heartrate is great (145), the U/S showed a very active healthy baby and no clots on the placenta, and after a very uncomfortable internal exam (which the speculum broke and wouldn't collapse, they had to dismantle it to get it out!) They said that all was fine and couldn't figure out why I had old blood presenting. They went on to say brown they don't really worry about. It means there was a bleed that did its thing, clotted and was now leaving my body in the only means it can. (also, early on the brown can be from implantation of the egg) It is when there is an active bleed (red) accompanied by cramps they get a little more worried. So, the long and short try not to stress. I know easier said than done as I am pregnant at 39 with my first and want this to be a stress free deal. Hope this helps and my thoughts are with you all and I hope you have amazing pregnancies!!

babymeg Fri 16-Jan-09 23:57:40

Hi again, well i had major pains wed, stupidly i helped lift lots of heavy boxes at work as my boss needed help and i didn't want to let her down as she was on her own and would've taken her ages, as i was only 6.5 weeks i never told anyone i was pregnant through fear of a mc happening again so i helped her. Later that night i got really bad back pain and more bleeding i am convinced this was the cause. Anyway i went to docs and they gave me a scan the next day to see how things were. Not good they couldn't see sack which really hurt so they took a pg test and it was neg. So upset you wouldn't believe but stayed strong till i got home, i just wish there was something i could do to make me stay pregnant! I did a test today and it says positive! What do i do as the hospital one said neg but had loads and loads of water to dilute it. Please help need advice x

Pinkscoober Mon 26-Jan-09 12:15:06

Hi, I just wanted to share my experience with you to hopefully reassure a few of you that actually having spotting is normal. I started to spot and experience brown/dark red discharge at around week 6. Obviously my first thoughts were that I was going to have a miscarriage and I absolutely convinced myself that this was the case. I rang my Doctor who on this occasion was actually very unhelpful and said "miscarriage is very common, you will just have to hope & pray that everything goes okay over the next few weeks". I came off the phone totally deflated. I actually came onto this website and read up on all of the posted threads and it helped although at the back of my mind I still felt like everything was going wrong. I remember coming home from work and wiping and there being fresh very dark red blood. I looked at my Husband and said "oh no" but because my Doctor had been of no help, I felt like a fraud going in so I literally monitoried it for the next 2 weeks. A lot of my friends who have had children said that the only time there should be a slight increase in concern is if you have bad cramps (you're going to experience some mild cramps when your Uterus expands so don't pressume the worst - I'm talking about bad period pains and you'll know the difference) and fresh blood with clotting. The brown/dark substance that many of us have experienced is "old product" which is shifting out of your system due to everything moving around inside you; it's kind of like a spring clean. So to cut a long story short, I continued to spot for 2 weeks, some days more than others and then it just suddenly stopped. I saw my Midwife at 8 weeks and she was wonderful and didn't seem phased at all by what I described. I would class myself as lucky with my pregnancy symptoms as I have suffered very little "morning" sickness and my hormones are very steady so the only reassurance of still being pregnant were my boobs which were very painful. Anyway when my Husband and I went for our 12 week scan on the 15th January I was convinved that there would be no baby...I am delighted to tell you though that infact there was a very healthy little 13.1 week baby inside of me, with a strong heartbeat and he/she was busy sleeping and sucking its thumb. I know it's hard to do but do not panic if you notice spotting, it's normal and some women have it the whole way through their pregnancy. I would suggest that if you want to seek advice, speak to a Midwife as opposed to a Doctor because Midwifes are there to specifically look after us pregnant ladies and our unborn/born babies and they listen to this kind of thing every day. I am wishing you all the best for a very healthy and happy pregnancy.

Leisa xx

Chiqa Thu 29-Jan-09 20:39:07

I had a missed-m/c last year and I did not have any bleeding?...a week before I went to see my doctor for a routine Fetal Heartbeat Scan at 16 weeks with my gp & couldn't find a heartbeart after waving the and around my tummy for about 15-20mins & said he's never came across anything like this, so he'd sent me of the U/S team & then that's when I realised I lost my baby & a week before I had very severe pain in my stomach(that's probably when my baby was struggling for her last breath I think) he said he's never came across anything like this, so he was very worried & sent me of to the U/S team & then that's when I realised I lost my baby. Now 2nd pregnant I had a period like bleed without pain for a day & then 1 day spotting the following day about 5 days after my missed period but I already knew I was pregnant three weeks after my last menstrual cycle as I tested positive before my period cam & was +. So what I'm saying is I am bleeding (red) about five days after my missed period, went to see duty doctor & he checked my cervix & said it's slighty opened & had treated it as a threatened m/c & refered me to U/S team but naive of the him to do so because I was only coming up to 5 weeks & U/Scan team would not be able to pick anyting up with the scan anyway (DAH!) & then eight days later when I went to the toilet I had brown blood on my knickers(some kind of discharge I guess, more than just spotting) & spotting for the rest of te day, went to see my gp and this time he said my cervix if firmly closed & said he's not too worried is there's brown blood with pain, will just have to hold out & see & if should it continue week after weeks owith any pain or cramp, I should go back to him immediately but I can't help but to think whether I'm going through miscarriage or is this normal? As I never experience any real pain though in both the bleed but feeling bloated ealier on in the 4th & 5th week only, I have symptoms of tiredness & tender breasts but not nausea which I had it all in the 1st pregnancy, has any1 had the same experience as I'm worried to death if the baby's maiscarried already but not realising it?... 'HELP!'

Sabs1981 Mon 02-Feb-09 12:41:23

I had a mmc in sept (1st pregnancy), waited 3 months before trying again and got pregnant straight away. Am now 6+2

Last week, I had a bit of brown discharge, but then yesterday it got heavier. I've also got a cold and sore throat, which is exactly what i had before my last mmc kicked off

Rang NHS Direct, who told me to ring my out-of-hours GP service. They then told my to go into my local A&E, where they have a new GP out of hours service located there. Saw a doc who was so unhelpful who made me feel like i was just being a paranoid woman who was wasting his time, who didnt even examine me internally, just checked my temp, throat, urine, chest, blood pressure etc. I didnt even want to go in, it was the GP i spoke to on the phone who said I should go in to be examined. I even took the (sorry TMI alert!) panty liner as evidence, and asked him if he wanted to see it, and he wasnt really interested.

I've not gone into work today, so just enjoying the snow from indoors. DH is working from home and is taking good care of me.

Reading this post has helped to answer some of my questions, so thanks all, but im still worrying.

Or maybe i just need someone to tell me to snap out of it and stop worrying for nothing sad

maroon77 Mon 02-Feb-09 16:06:21

Hi sabs1981! Sorry I have not been on these forums before but just read your comment and exactly the same thing is happening to me today! I also had a missed MC in July (1st pregnancy) - went for my what I thought was 11 week scan only to find baby had stopped growing at 5 - 6 weeks. I am now 6.5 weeks pregnant and have come home from work as had some slight bleeding / brownish blood - only a small amount. It was also discovered after my mmc that I have a subseptate uterus which is making me worry even more!! Also my boobs have been sore for the last few weeks and has completely faded today. Hope all turns out ok for both of us. Keep me posted. Has anyone got any advice?

maroon77 Mon 02-Feb-09 16:14:42

Hi sabs1981! Sorry I have not been on these forums before but just read your comment and exactly the same thing is happening to me today! I also had a missed MC in July (1st pregnancy) - went for my what I thought was 11 week scan only to find baby had stopped growing at 5 - 6 weeks. I am now 6.5 weeks pregnant and have come home from work as had some slight bleeding / brownish blood - only a small amount. It was also discovered after my mmc that I have a subseptate uterus which is making me worry even more!! Also my boobs have been sore for the last few weeks and has completely faded today. Hope all turns out ok for both of us. Keep me posted. Has anyone got any advice?

blue76 Sun 08-Feb-09 12:02:40

I've just spent half an hr reading all of the posts on this page. I'm 7 weeks with my 3rd. I have healthy 11 and 9 yr old DDs. I have been spotting on and off for 2 weeks. The first blood was bright red (and immediately after sex). It frightened me so I went to GP same day. She was v helpful and said she was not concerned. I avoided sex for a week. Then tried again - bled again. This time the blood was brown. A couple of days later it happened again so I went back to GP who said they were now concerned that I was having ectopic. They referred me to EPU (last weds). I had a scan and there was a strong little 5mm heartbeat! The sac was fine. There is a v small implantation bleed underneath. MW said that because it is underneath the sac, this will not pose a threat. If it was above, it could 'pull the pregnancy out'. She said the blood will pool in my uterus and come out bit by bit. I have a cold at the mo and she explained that coughing, sneezing and blowing my nose can cause the blood to come out! She said the bleed will shrink to nothing over the next week. She said to avoid sex. She said some of the bleeding could also be due to some cervical erosion. I am still spotting on and off, but no longer worried. I have spoken to loads of people who have had the same bleeding and gone on to have healthy babies!

blue76 Sun 08-Feb-09 12:13:10

One more thing...my boobs are sore on and off. But even if they haven't been sore all day, try going out in the cold...it's a killer! When I take my bra off at night they are more painful and my nipples feel chafed. It's been 10 yrs since my last pregnancy and I don't remember feeling this stressed. One thing I can say though....with my first 2 pregnancies, forums like this did not exist. I didn't even have a computer. If something felt wrong then a trip to the GP or hospital usually did the trick. Now we get a bit of bleeding or pain and the first thing we do is a search on the good old internet! We have to remember that everyone is different, and that we could be causing ourselves more undue worry and stress by trawling the web for answers. Even though I have been SCANNED and told by EPU that all is fine, I still find myself checking sites. I have been told off in the past by my GP for doing this...wink

blue76 Sun 08-Feb-09 18:45:45

Ive had a cold and bleeding - had a scan on weds and they said it's very common to have bleeding in first weeks. They said the blood from implantation is pooling and coming out gradually. If it's brown it's old blood. They didn't mention m/c, whereas my doc had sent me to the EPU thinking I was having an ectopic pregnancy. Try not to worry. Good luck!!

zoe1978 Sun 08-Feb-09 21:21:45

I had brown discharge at 5 weeks, came out in a gush all down my trousers whilst at work. NHS Direct said it could be implantation as I had no pain/cramps or tissue loss. I was booked in for a early scan at 7 weeks, saw baby and a heartbeat and it measured 12mm. Sonographer noticed a sac of blood inferior to the baby which may be a pool of implantation bleeding, it may still come out or be absorbed. I was told it was nothing concerning and they've seen it before. I've been told as long as the blood is pinkish brown (old blood) and you have no cramping then it's normally nothing to worry about.

Do71 Wed 11-Mar-09 14:13:39

Hi - just thought I would share my recent experience. Found out I was 4 wks pregnant on Fri 20th Feb, felt ok apart from tired and sore boobs. Then the following Wednesday I started getting brown discharge and totally panic'd. Phoned the m/w who said just to monitor things and if changed to red or cramps started I should call again. This continued for 4 days again and I phoned again on the Saturday and was told to go to hosp on Monday 2nd March. I had an internal scan which showed the sac was where it should be but was too early to show anything else. The discharge continued and I learnt to live with it but was totally fearing the worst. It then stopped on Sat 7th and I had nothing for 3 days so assumed it had been old blood which had now all dispersed. However, yesterday I went to the toilet at work and had bright red blood which totally frecked me out, I phoned the hospital and they told me to go home and take it easy and come in the next day. The red blood stopped overnight and went to brown again, I had an internal scan at 10 am this morning and a healthy heartbeat was seen - I couldnt believe it and still quite cant. They could see the blood on the scan and said 1 out of 3 woman have this during pregnancy and not to worry. So I am now home and still in a state of shock, I feel much happier but probably wont really relax till after my 12 week scan. So please do not worry if you are having discharge or blood it doesn't necessarily mean the worst. Thanks

Gateau Wed 11-Mar-09 14:29:41

Wow, that's great news, Do71. As I was reading your post I was thinking the worst, but that wasn't the case. Am so pleased for you.
I had brown discharge wiht my last pg. I was told it could be old blood but then it gradually became red and I went for a scan to find out I had had a missed mc.
So Discharg/bleeding can be okay for some and not for others.
I am now 8 weeks pg and looking for spotting ALL the time. So paranoid!

Fozzie78 Wed 11-Mar-09 20:13:51

Hi everyone, I thought I would also share my experience, I found out I was pregnant in Jan last year, I had been having a brown discharge for a week which I thought may have been a light period due to coming off the pill, I informed my doctor he sent me for a scan the next day, I was told there was a baby but HB had stopped at around 7wks, devastating. I found out I was pregnant again in Oct last yr, again I had brown spotting at around the 8 week stage, I went straight to A&E who confirmed a 2nd MMC at 7wks again........ I thought id never be able to have children,it is heartbreaking. Then at the end of december I found out I was pregnant again, again I had brown discharge the week before I found out so was worried out of my mind, it had disappeared before I had a positive test but the thought was scarey I was constantly knicker checking, like every 5 mins I was visiting the loo, then at 5 weeks I noticed a brown discharge again so seen my doctor who sent me for a scan, the scan showed the sac but measurements were fine, I had to go back 2wks later, at the 7 week scan we got to see a HB which we had never experience before so it totally lifted our spirits, still was excruciating waiting for the 12 wk scan but again everything was fine and I seen my little baby wriggling around, I cant explain the feeling, it was just amazing. Im now 4 months pregnant so it goes to show there is hope, ive had brown discharge with all 3 pregnancies so I may just be one of those ladies who has this each time and it means nothing. Good luck for all experiencing this,am hoping there are more positive outcomes xxxx

lizfoshiz Thu 12-Mar-09 03:45:51

im just a little worried and hoping someone can help me..i went on feb 24th for a dr appointment and we heard the heartbeat! it was amazing!! doc checked everything and said everything is looking perfect for being 11 weeks..i am now 13wks 2days and i noticed this evening just when i wipe a very very light brown discharge. i have had a chest cold for about a week or so and am worried that all the coughing and straining has hurt the baby. i havent had any other problems at all, no cramping or bleeding or anything else just the random light brown discharge...i dont go back to the doctor until march 24th. can anybody please please help me!! im just really really worried....

brettgirl2 Thu 12-Mar-09 07:58:51

Can't you phone your midwife and ask them?

DawnAS Thu 12-Mar-09 09:32:26

Hi there,

Unfortunately, there is little that you can do but wait to TBH.

My story was not so positive unfortunately. I started with brown discharge and no pain at 6 weeks. It lasted about a week, but only a very small amount of it, usual early morning and late night, nothing at all through the day. Unfortunately I did MC and mine wasn't accompanied by pain until the end of that week.

BUT, my Mum had this through 5 healthy PGs, sometimes heavy red bleeding aswell and it sounds like this is a common thread for a number of very healthy PGs.

If it is still there in a couple of days, I would ask for an early scan. When I had mine, my HCG levels were very low so they pretty much knew the outcome. As much as it was traumatic, we fell PG again 6 weeks later and I'm now 27 weeks.

I wish you lots of Good Luck and I'm keeping everything crossed that your bean is a sticky one!!

xx

Shrimplette Tue 17-Mar-09 13:21:14

Hi, thought I would post my story. Found out on 4th March that I was 4+4 weeks pregnant and was over the moon. On Sat 7th March I found brown spotting which totally freaked me out. I went to see my GP on the Monday and she didn't want to commit either way, she explained that some ladies bleed throughout and their babies are fine and others aren't. She referred me for a scan at my local hospital but explained that nothing could be seen until 6 weeks. I had a week long wait but I tried to put it to the back of my mind. I stopped spotting completely for 4 days and then it came back last Weds and has been there every day on and off ever since. My husband and I went for the scan yesterday and felt really anxious but I'm pleased to say that the embryo with a little flashing heartbeat and yolk sac was present and they could not see any reason for my bleeding so have just advised me to take it easy until it (hopefully) stops. We now have 6 long weeks to wait until the next scan.

Good luck with your pregnancies.

mizzidee Wed 18-Mar-09 01:53:11

can anyone advise me on my story. my cycle is a 26-32day cycle. about 2-3days after i overlated (4/5th day of march), i started to spot brown discharge. the brown discharge is still with me. yesturday the brown discharge seemed 2 turn into just brown wateryish blood. today it was the same when i woke up,except ther was more of it & then later this evening i saw red blood. tonight there was now red blood & seems to be this same as this morning except even more of it,lik just before a period. i am due on in aday or 2. how can this b poss? to bleed brown blood 4 this long,its nearly 2 weeks. got an apptment this friday with doctor,but i thought maybe u guys might hav some in-sight into wot i may b. could i b pregnant or does it not sound like it. dont get paid till saturday,so i have 2 wait untill then to test.

mizzidee Wed 18-Mar-09 01:55:27

sorry i ment "tonight ther was 'no' blood & seems to be the same as this morning..."

mizzidee Wed 18-Mar-09 01:58:15

sorry again "no RED blood tonight" ..i dont kno wots wrong with me am getting myself in a tizz!!!!!!!!!

Hopeful2 Wed 18-Mar-09 15:50:25

I am new to this but am so worried I decided to give it a go.
I had a mmc last Nov at 10 weeks. Early on in the pregnancy I bled after sex, was scanned & told baby had a healthy HB. 3 weeks later I bled again after sex but this time the blood was bright red & obvioulsy I wa very concerned. I was scanned again & told that the HB had stopped but my baby was measuring 10 weeks so I can only assume it had just happened that 2nd time after sex. I had no pain at all.
I was devasted & still am sad & I was admitted to hospital as I had no mc completely.
A few weeks a go I found out I was pregnant again. I decided that I was going to try & forget that I was pregnant until the 1st scan. Last Saturday I discovered a brown coloured discharge & obvioulsy thought the worst. This time I had not had sex (as I was so convinced that sex had had something to do with the loss of my last baby) silly I know! I went to my GP Monday & was told I would need to wait to go to the EPU as I was only 6 weeks. My appointment is this Friday. The discharge continued until Sunday, stopped & today has stared again. I have not experienced any pain yet but I am clearly very worried. I keep checking my breasts to see if they are still sore.
So I know what you are experiencing right now, my emotions are all over the place & I am so anxious about Friday...I keep my fingers crossed for us x

mizzidee Wed 18-Mar-09 17:09:37

Hopefull2 ...I do hope everything turns out positive 4 u. (& myself),i too am waiting 2 c a doctor regarding it on friday. thers only tomoro left then its friday. Stay strong & b as positive as u can..i know its hard, as i am having to do the same,but please try. My brown discharge/turned into brown blood & som little bit of red blood as of monday,now 2day it seemed to have calmed down abit ..this will be the second time in the last 2 weeks now it will hav calmed down for afew hours/aday. I have been having bad pain on & off too,last night it felt like i had a million period shooting pains all in 1 go to the point i actually felt quezzy & sick, & this i have never experienced in my life. i dont even get minor period pains usualy with my periods either,i never suffer with it at all. All this is so strange 4 me. I actually think i am either pregnant & som thing is wrong or i have emdometrium/uterus cancer.. i am worried to death wot the doctor will say,more so in the way that i pray my doctor knows wot shes doing. U sound like u will b in capable & safe hands. U r defferntly on the right path ..EPU is the right way to go.
Feel free to buzz back on here,i will be back myself. Take care & fingers crossed too...x

Hopeful2 Wed 18-Mar-09 17:24:45

Mizzidee I hope Fri has some positive news for you & I. I just don't want to go through what I went through b4. It's the same place as where I went b4 also, so if it is the same doc / nurse I think I will just crumble! I still remember what was only seconds but seemed like minutes when the doc told me there was no HB. That's why I was really trying to not think about the pregnancy this time until what happened Sat & then I had no choice but to do something.
I hope you've got someone looking after you..& if you get those pains again then maybe you should go straight to A&E

Take care & my thoughts go out to you for Fri x

mizzidee Wed 18-Mar-09 21:14:24

HOPEFUL2.. Hi sweetheart. sorry i took awhile,but i am bk now. May i ask; a) how many weeks/days were u,wen u 1st saw brown discharge? b)How many weeks/days r u now?

mizzidee Thu 19-Mar-09 06:55:55

Hi all.. one more day till ME & HOPFUL2 get 2see the doctor ..fingers crossed 4 brillient news..x

mizzidee Thu 19-Mar-09 10:25:06

Hi hopeful2.. i hope u r just resting/relaxing & nothing major has happened since yesturday. I am thinking of u. & if u r reading this then please do reply & giv me an update.
My brown blood starting to well intruly calm down yesturday & also seemed 2b nothing ther this morning,but i am going to go & check again in minute 2 see & i will be back shorty 2 say if ther r any updates...x

Hopeful2 Thu 19-Mar-09 12:10:57

[Mizzidee] I am 6.5 weeks, so very early days for me. I started having discharge last Sat (at just 6 weeks). Stopped on the Sun & started again yesterday. Still a slight discharge but not like it was. Although I don't know if that is good news or not. Roll on 09:15 tomorrow! What time are you going in?
I am resting, but soooooo bored. Keep thinking the house needs cleaning, but know that I should be taking it easy for now (at least until I know one way or another hmm)

Be thinking of you hun. Be back later x

S79 Thu 19-Mar-09 13:41:30

Hi all,

I had a mc in Dec last year, 2 days before i was due for my first scan. I went xmas shopping with my husband, when i went to the loo i noticed a very tiny amount of brown discharge. I got very scared and panicky so we went straight to the hospital. The consultant did a normal scan and then an vaginal scan and confirmed the sac stopped growing at 5 weeks.

It's really strange but when i was 5 weeks pregnant i had a high temperature and the flu, i even rang NHS dirct who referred me to the night clinic where i was examined, the doctor decided it wasn't serious enough for me to see the gynaecologist, i wish i had insisted now.

I don't know what was worse, finding out this way or the thought of going to my first scan all excited only to be told there was no baby.

I bleeding came on graduly and i opted for the natural way.

I'm now 7 wks pregnant, and this time very very cautious. At 5 weeks i had a tiny dot of brown discharge again and i went straight into A&E. I was told my cervix is closed and there could be 3 possible outcomes, 1 - i could be having a threatened mc, 2- it could be an ectopic pregnancy 3- it could be implantation bleeding, she also said she could see some brown discharge in my vagina.

I went in for a scan the next day and all they could see was the sac and very faintly a yolk. I was rebooked for another scan in 10 days time.

I had my 6 week scan on monday, and what a relief to see a tiny heartbeat. I had no bleeding for the 10days since my first scan. But when i got home i noticed a brown discharge again! I rang the hospital who told me to just monitor and get another referral for a scan in 2weeks time.

I don't know if i'm right (i'm sooo hoping i am) but when i was examined by the gynae she said she could see some brown discharge and i'm thinking that since it hadn't come out before maybe it's coming out now and everything could be fine!

Oh and my body temperature keeps going up, especially when i'm sleeping. I've told my doctor but she doesn't seem too concerned!!

Good luck with all your pregnancies ladies xxx

Hopeful2 Thu 19-Mar-09 19:23:04

S79 I hope everything is ok for you. It would seem though that if you were told you had some discharge left in the vagina then more than likely the internal scan has just dislodged this & that's why you are now getting rid.
I am 6.5 weeks & tomorrow I have my scan to see whether my little one is still with me. Started last Sat with a brown discharge which has been off & on since then. 09:15 I've got to be there & I'm so nervous. It's the same place as when I was told that my first little ones HB had stopped at 10 weeks, so don't really want to go but how else am I going to know for sure.
I've been resting this week & boy has it dragged...fingers & toes crossed.
Keep your chin up x

S79 Thu 19-Mar-09 22:20:14

Hopeful2 Thanks for your kind words, i hope everythings goes well for you tomorrow.

Fingers crossed for you. x

mizzidee Fri 20-Mar-09 00:59:34

Hi HOPEFUL2 & S79.. i hope tomorrow ends up being just fine. Thinking of you. Please get back to me in either case...x

Hopeful2 Fri 20-Mar-09 11:14:44

Hi guys,
well I'm back & it's good news. I'm 7 weeks & a good HB. All would appear to be ok currently. I'm so happy but still a little nervous due to last time. Not out of the danger zone yet I feel but certainly relieved. Didn't need an internal scan either, I had drunk enough (thought I was going to wet myself blush) so they were able to pick the image up.

mizzidee What's happened hun with yourself? My thoughts are still with you. Thanks for yours x

s79 Thanks also for your thoughts. Pls keep us updated with how things go with you. Try & keep positive, but I know how hard that is. At least we know we're not alone at this delicate time x

tattifer Fri 20-Mar-09 11:46:15

S79 how's things going with you?

Seems our MCs were about the same time - in both senses.

I'm bed rest at the mo having bled for a few hours two days ago, now nothing but watery brown and only when going to loo. we're (hopefully) 7wks +3 days and I'm paying for a private scan on monday rather than wait til next friday...

mizzidee hope all is well with you. Lets hope that as you started just a couple of days after ovulation it's not a matter of miscarrying. Are you trying for a baby? It's a terrible waiting game isn't it?

sympathetic vibes to all

S79 Fri 20-Mar-09 13:06:55

Hopeful2 I'm really pleased for you, glad the scan went well this morning. Must be such a relief. Continue to take it easy tho.

tattifer I'm having the same systems, watery brown when i use the loo. I'm just resting too...it's so boring!!

It's so nice having support from other people who are going through the samething. I was really tempted to tell a friend but i don't want to risk it like last time.

By the way if anyone lives in London and needs to see a Gynaecologist out of hours, rather then sitting in A&E for hours on end go to the Guys and St Thomas hospital in westminster. When my spotting started late on a saturday evening a few weeks ago, i desperatly rang around local hospitals. St Thomas have a dedicated 24hour Emergency Gynae Unit in the North Wing on the 8th Floor, real peace of mind knowing i can go there anytime and be seen straight away. Plus ladies if you go during the day they do scans too...i found this so helpful as my hospital had booked me in for 2weeks.

Hope thats useful xx

tattifer Fri 20-Mar-09 13:13:26

S79 lucky you - I feel the trip from deepest darkest devon might be counterproductive - oh well...

mizzidee Sat 21-Mar-09 19:51:41

Hi ladies ..sorry i have took awhile to come on here. My doctors appointment was cancelled due to the doctor post-phoning as she could not make the appt for some other reason. Anyway, i took a pregnancy test today & it has come up that I AM pregnant. I have been trying for a baby & even though i should be delighted, i am now not very happy at all & i certainly do not 'feel' pregnant. I am worried now that the bleeding is/was a miscarriage or in deed anougher ectopic pregnancy (i have previously had one in my past). I have also read some where, that Ovarian Cysts can cause 'false' readings (as in false positive results on a pregnancy test). Getting back to my 'spotting' situation, yesturday i & the day before i had no brown blood what so ever. Today however, i have started bleeding & the blood is the same texture & colour as my menstration blood,except not as heavy. Today I also have my usual lower abdoman heaviness of menstration (like my womb, lower back & stomach is ready to drop or explode).I have anougher appointment for the doctors next week. I am going to have to wait & i will be praying everything is fine.

mizzidee Sat 21-Mar-09 19:55:19

I do not (as far as i am concerned) suffer with Overian Cysts, but i meantioned it,because that 'maybe' the cause of the 2week brown bleeding.. i dont know, it may be something else or it could be just normal.

mizzidee Sat 21-Mar-09 20:09:25

Hopfull2.. Oh, that is excellent news,so pleased for you. For some reason,i was thinking u 'would be ok' as a number of people do experience what you have been experiencing yourself.

S79.. I hope you also get the positive result you are wishing for.. good luck!

Tattifer.. yes i am trying for a ababy, & yes isnt it just a waiting game. I was starting to give up & just except i will never be a mummy to my own conceived child! I was also thinking about how selfish i can be, when its just 'me, myself & I'.

xxxxxxxBABY DUST TO YOU ALLxxxxxxxxxx

tattifer Sun 22-Mar-09 13:03:09

mizzidee congratulations!!

It's horrible all this bleeding, not bleeding, what does it mean, what doesn't it mean. For every story that's negative, there's someone else with the same symptoms and turns out OK. DH and I were talking about how we felt about tomorrows scan. I have no idea. I don't dare feel upbeat, don't want to feel down.

aaarrrgghh!!

jasmaxxy Sun 22-Mar-09 18:46:12

hi everyone,i feel like you tattifer,bleed then no bleed etc etc.I'm 43have 3 children,had an mc in 07,i was booked in for 'a loop' operation for abnormal cells, and on that morning my boobs hurt, so i did a test that was positive, after the shock my husband and i were very excited. the digital test with conception indicator said 1-2 wks, in reality i felt i was probably 1 week at most since conception. a week later i went to bed then got up to go loo (not for wee) I was constipated, then wen i wiped myself had brown watery blood,panic panic.Next day paid for scan where they cud see shadowy sac but nothing more,told me to go back in 2 wks(tomorrow)however last sunday brown discharge started again,went to EPU tuesday,scanned,again tiny sac,nothing else to see, had two hcg tests 2300 1st one 4300 2nd, hospital called me back in thursday 19th march, another scan, this time a yolk and sac,but had grown 3mm in 2 days,no heartbeat,they are still saying its too soon,and back for another scan 2 weeks,felt more positive.then yesterday (satday)bout 6pm again had to go to loo (not wee) looked and saw bright red blood down the bowl,not loads, no clots,just a line of drips,no pain.no more since,touch wood,back to the watery brown,what on earth is going on with me?sposed to have the 2nd private scan tomorrow,but my husband wants me to wait the nhs 2 wks, dont know what to do, feel like i'm going mad,boobs still sore but not like first week,only mimimal nausea,and dont need to wee so often,can anyone help?My other 3 pregnancies i didnt have a single problem,last baby 6yrs ago?

tattifer Sun 22-Mar-09 19:06:04

jasmaxxy it's so difficult isn't it? When I miscarried in december I hadn't had much nausea anyway. I became paranoid that my breasts weren't as sore - but I think through to two weeks of bleeding I'd kind of lost the plot a bit anyway! This time my nausea has actually got worse since the bleed, I'm still peeing several times a night and my boobs are still sore. I just so don't know anymore. Scan is tomorrow...

jasmaxxy Sun 22-Mar-09 19:16:31

scary,just hope for a heartbeat, I cant help but think the worst for myself,ive never had anything like this, and cant believe all can be ok?hope scan is good tomorrow for you.

tattifer Sun 22-Mar-09 19:22:25

jasmaxxy thank you smile

It's a difficult one this staying positive thing. Do you prepare for the worst in the vain hope that it's somehow easier to bear when your fears are confirmed or do you follow the power of positive mental wotsit? I swing from one to the other. This morning actually trying to convince myself that I could see it has just a late period. Self delusional!

jasmaxxy Sun 22-Mar-09 19:27:17

i know, my husband gets upset that i'm being negative,but i think i do it incase it is bad news, i think my age is an issue too, 2nd husband,but we didnt think we wanted anymore, now this

tattifer Sun 22-Mar-09 19:31:58

2nd husband also and this time last year I would ROFLed if anyone had sugested I was going to be trying for another baby. But we both changed our not so set minds on that and here we are suspecting a second miscarriage. Oh well.

Be realistically positive (no, I don't know what that means either) and stay talking and listening to each other smile

jasmaxxy Sun 22-Mar-09 19:39:53

yes! let me know what happens tomoz ok

tattifer Sun 22-Mar-09 19:46:44

Of course smile

I've found a number of really supportive people on mumsnet - all of us going through differing experiences both good and bad. Sounds corny but I've found it really helpful.

jasmaxxy Mon 23-Mar-09 21:17:30

Hi tattifer, how did it go?

tattifer Tue 24-Mar-09 11:55:41

jasmaxxy Hi there smile there's a baby, its 6 and a half weeks (so I'm a few days out on my dates - not worrying) everything is at it should be just too early to see a heart beat, something was buzzing away but could have been me! So inconclusive, but not bad news.

How're you today?

jasmaxxy Tue 24-Mar-09 18:48:08

great news,beacsuse it wasn't bad news, you're in the same boat as me! that was the result of my scan,its still no mans land isnt it?i have next scan a week thursday,just longing for heartbeat.I'm really tired,but done loads of driving today,i go from feeling really pregnant,to nothing at all!

tattifer Wed 25-Mar-09 21:05:17

jasmaxxy you're right, and that's what me and DH have decided to go with - it's not bad news therefore its good. As for the next scan i've decided to get all stroppy if I don't hear an alternative scan date for next week.

jasmaxxy Wed 25-Mar-09 22:00:12

yep ive got 8 days to go,i've had watery brown discharge(horrid word sorry) today, I just feel negative. I have slight nausea, my boobs are mildly sore, I just dont know what to think, and thats all i seem to do - think.WHAT IS HAPPENING......

tattifer Wed 25-Mar-09 22:12:29

jasmaxxy I'm still getting the watery brown stuff on wiping, tmi, sorry! Don't think, just remember that you are pregnant and that that's a good thing. No amount of thinking will change outcomes and you can't live expecting the worst.

I'm off to bed, stay strong smile

jasmaxxy Thu 26-Mar-09 18:40:52

hi,hope you're ok, been fine today, then come home, had the dreaded constipation, and hey presto, the bright red blood again, called the EPU, they said as long as no pain or clots then fine, feel a bit achy,also said I should be drinking 2 litres of water a day, which I'm not, and to take lactulose, which my husband just got me....still seems so weird,this cant all be ok????(hmm)

tattifer Fri 27-Mar-09 19:18:31

Is lactulose ok to take if you're pregnant then? A miracle cure smile

I am so fed up with being bloated to the point of looking like I'm five months pregnant - blurgh!

jasmaxxy Fri 27-Mar-09 19:21:25

yep lactulose is fine. Its not just me then who's struggling to do my jeans up?it seems ridiculous, especially with whats going on with me!

tattifer Fri 27-Mar-09 19:23:04

I know what you mean! A friend suggested that if I wasn't careful our local farmer would offer to solve my bloat the same way he does with his cows shock

jasmaxxy Fri 27-Mar-09 19:34:05

had any more loss today?

tattifer Fri 27-Mar-09 19:38:59

Still just doing watery brownish stuff. Boobs are massive and sore, I'm constantly nauseous and I woke up on the sofa half an hour ago after just falling asleep sat upright trying not to fall asleep!

jasmaxxy Fri 27-Mar-09 20:03:30

that all sounds good, my nausea comes and goes,boobs hurt and huge, wish my kids would let me fall asleep! the watery brown stuff is a strange thing isnt it? I didnt know it existed until it happened to me and I found this site

tattifer Fri 27-Mar-09 20:16:48

I assume brown means old blood, but maybe I'm wrong. I shall have to go a googling!

jasmaxxy Fri 27-Mar-09 20:22:24

yeah ive googled it loads, ive become obsessed!It all says its old blood,my fear is that I have a blighted ovum, or a missed miscarriage, all of which I knew nothing about until I googled!

tattifer Fri 27-Mar-09 20:25:00

Mmh yes, information can be a dangerous thing - it gets your mind racing towards all kinds of conclusions. There's anther thread (gusset checkers and pad patrollers) full of support from a load of lovely ladies with all kinds of different experiences. Fancy sidling on over there?

jasmaxxy Fri 27-Mar-09 20:40:50

yes!

tattifer Fri 27-Mar-09 20:43:15

See you there smile

grace09 Sat 28-Mar-09 09:31:05

Glad i have stumbled across this site as you have all given me some reassurance. I had two miscarriages last year (at 8 weeks and six weeks). Had all the tests done - nothing identified so tried again. Now 4 weeks 5 days pregnant. 4 days ago started cramping badly and some pink watery discharge when peed. Immediately panicked and thought it was mc. Hospital said nothing they could do as too early for scan. Told just to rest and wait and see if bleeding got worse. so now 4 days on cramps a lot less and only occasionally getting this watery pink fluid. discharge brownish too. Don't know what to think. preparing for the worst but maybe there is a small glimmer f hope as thought i would hyave started bleeding heavier by now.

sydneysuze Sat 28-Mar-09 10:23:30

Hi Grace sorry to hear you're going through this worry again. Don't give up hope though - sounds like it could be implantation bleeding. When I bled early in my current pregnancy the EPU nurse explained that sometimes if you bleed for any reason (implantation, lesion etc) you may experience cramps as your body is expelling it. Remember also that brown blood is usually old blood.

I had cramps and clots too, and like you have previously had mcs. I'm currently 15+3 weeks pregnant and all is going well (touch wood). If you are still worried a GP or doctor at A+E could examine you to see if your cervix is open. Wishing you lots of luck smile

grace09 Sat 28-Mar-09 11:21:31

Thanks for your kind wishes sydneysuze. I'm so pleased for you that your pregnancy is all going well. I have a scan booked at EPU in 12 days but might give them a phone before then for more advice. Just can't bear this waiting and uncertainty. Thanks again and will keep you posted.

Hopeful2 Sat 28-Mar-09 18:38:36

Grace09 I just wanted to say thiking of you at this difficult time. I know how you must feel - I had a mc last Nov at 9.5 weeks & I am now pg again, 8 weeks currently. I constantly worry which I just cannot help, but I know I should try & stop it. I had a brown discharge which started 2 weeks a go & lasted for a week. I was obviously very scared & thought the worst, but after waiting a week (as doc told me I was too early) I went to EPU & had a scan - little bean with beating hb & I was told I was in fact 7 weeks. I was so relieved but that only lasted a few minutes & then the worry just kicked in again. I spose I am trying to say that once you've been what we've been through you can't help but think the worst about every silly little thing, but it can still work out for the best! Keep strong & remember you're not alone x

grace09 Mon 30-Mar-09 10:43:55

Thanks hopeful2 and congratulations on your pregnancy. The discharge seems to have stopped which the hospital have said is a good sign but i still have some mild cramps. Just got to hold tight and wait for this scan next week. The waiting really is the hardest thing as you well know and it is just so hard not to worry. Thanks for your support. This site really does help you to realise you are not alone.

Aingael Thu 09-Apr-09 16:44:02

I Must reccomend that all you ladies read Jenny McCarthys book :Belly Laughs: The Naked Truth About Pregnancy And Childbirth!!!

I read this book with my first pregnancy and II'm going to borrow it from my library again this time. *I'm 8 weeks along*. This book saved my sanity! She coveres everything from poop to the "slug slime" discharge. She doesn't hold anything back and if you want an honest description of what to expect and to put you at ease...READ THIS BOOK!!!!!!
Amanda
Canada

ukstephkelly Wed 15-Apr-09 19:22:03

Hi There,

I began reading this trail on Friday after being terrified on finding some brown discharge in my knickers last Thursday evening. I was 8 weeks pregnant at the time and on holiday in Cornwall. It was the 4 day Easter holiday weekend and I only had my blackberry to help me understand what was happening. When i read this trail I felt informed and comforted. It was clear that things could go either way - be all fine, or not so fine. What was so great about the trail was that everyone's real life experiences gave me more information than i could find anywhere on offical sites. In terms of my story the brown discharge continued until Sunday night, then on bank holiday monday night i had a small bleed. Off to the doctors on Tuesday morning and referred to the local Early Preganancy Assessment Unit. I had a further bleed on Tuesday night and knew in my heart today that the baby had gone (all pregancy symptoms like sore breasts, hunger, tiredness had disappeared). When I went to the EPAU this morning they did an ultrasound and the baby was there but with no heartbeat. They have told me that the miscarriage will start soon and I need to just hold tight. I will be scanned again in a weeks time. Although this is not good news I am releived in a way, after 5 days of worry, to know the outcome. In terms of advice to anyone else in this situation I would say get yourself down to your local EPAU as soon as possible. It really helps to know asap what is happening. Do not let the doctors fob you off with a wait and see approach. I insisted i went, and I am very glad I did. This website lists all the EPAU's in the UK : www.earlypregnancy.org.uk. In terms of other useful websites i found the following website wonderful: http://www.pregnancyloss.info/. The website's strapline is information, healing and hope and is written with such compassion that I feel a whole lot better about the situation. Although my story ended in miscarraige, remember many people have the same symptoms and go on to have a normal pregnancy, so be positive! Best wishes, hugs and postive vibes to everyone who maybe worrying about bleeding in their pregnancy...Steph xxx

missymum Thu 16-Apr-09 21:20:56

ukstephkelly so sorry for your loss.look after yourself x

smiler28 Thu 07-May-09 16:13:40

Like so many others on here, i would just like to say a big THANKYOU . I am experiencing the brown discharge thing and i am about 6 weeks pregnant. I have not come across any information as clear and in-depth, and honest as what i have just read here. After experiencing a m/c on Christmas eve 2008 i am really scared with what is happening to me at the moment.
Whatever happens, it is a huge relief to know that this can be ok, and hopefully it just might be.
Good luck to everyone else one here x

kttk Tue 12-May-09 11:33:45

IM 8 weeks preg n 2 days ago strted avin bronw bleedin n 2 day der was sum deep red bleedin with a tinny brwn clot like thing, n staigvht afta it went bck 2 light brwn again can any1 help.

Nickinoo66 Wed 27-May-09 19:19:24

I'm around 5 or 6 weeks pregnant and apart from very tender boobs (which fantastically look huge!) have no other symptoms. I keep thinking I'm a fraud and will be reassured when I go the doctors next week.
I started noticing some browny-pink discharge a couple of days ago and as this is my first pregnancy, I panicked. The worst thing is nobody knows I'm pregnant yet so i can't ask anyone whether it's normal or not. Thank goodness for Google directing me here! I'm very grateful to you all for sharing your experiences. smile

V00d00 Fri 19-Jun-09 18:20:01

Hi all, hmm
Feels strange putting a post up, I'm 7 week pregnant and on Tuesday Evening I had sharp stabbing pains in my left side, On Wednesday i started to have really light discharge (brown ish) i'm really worried. I have'nt seen a mid wife yet my first appointment is on the 9th July as shes on holiday, my mind is just running wild.
I have had no more pains and i'm still being sick with tender breasts, but i still have the light discharge.
I've made an appointment with the doctors but they cant get me into next week..!
This is my only chance of having a baby with the man i love as we were not going to have kids and this was a mistake.. but i really want it

waitingwaiting Sat 20-Jun-09 07:43:57

Hi there,
I've bled in all my pregnancies so far... outcomes as follows:
Pregnancy one: first red bleed at 11 weeks and then bled on and off throughout my pregnancy, I went on to have a healthy baby girl.
Pregnancy two - had brown spotting on and off from about 5 weeks but no cramps, did have a couple of blobs which were bigger than a pea but smaller than a broad bean. Went for the 12 week scan to find no heart beat.
Pregnancy Three - brown spotting week 5 & 6, worried all the way to the 12 week scan thinking I'd lost the baby, over the moon to find out baby okay.... fingers and toes now all crossed to keep it that way....
so brown spotting doesnt necessarily mean bad news.
Take care and good luck!

V00d00 Sun 28-Jun-09 09:08:42

Hi all,
Id just like to add a note from my last message, i went for an early scan on the 25th june and every thing is fine with my baby good heart beat e.c.t i'm 8 weeks pregnant grinI went to my GP and he booked this for me, they were so nice at the scan, they showed me where i had bled from and gave me some advise.
I would say dont think the worse like i have (i know its easier said than done) as your going to be putting your self under alot of stress, try get to the doctors as soon as you can and explain whats going on and what your thinking, from this they should send you for a scan, then you be able to find out whats going on xxxx

B33 Sun 28-Jun-09 22:44:33

I am havin the brown thing an am worried sick, I was up a&e with my partner last nite (he has a not nice medical condition) wen it started, i was seen by a doc who wasnt very interested as i have no cramps only a pulling sensation all across my belly. i think im about 7 weeks and my first midwife appointment is not untill 8th july, im booked in for a scan on tues morn and am terrified of what i will find out. I have 2 children from my first marriage and never experienced anything like this with them. I have done 9 pregnancy tests an all have been positive, my boobs feel like rocks but im only sick with strong smells, i really dont no what to think. i cant tell my partner wot happening as he already ill in hospital, an he was told he couldnt have anymore children so this was a nice surprise for us. any advice welcome

B33 Mon 29-Jun-09 07:24:44

had awful nites sleep surprise surprise... the pulling sensation across my belly has stopped, is this a good sign or a bad sign???? im still getting brown stuff but only when i wipe myself and it only a tiny amount. wish my scan was today not tomorrow, dont no what to think or do its driving me mad. sad

saz81 Tue 30-Jun-09 19:50:23

HI all this is very strange to me but as i was feeling desperately miserable and trawling the net for help when i found this page and i have to say i feel so relieved! I found out i was pg with twins in feb after being taken to A&E with bad pains, (big shock i was on pill but very happy) it was short lived though as i mc at 8wks. My hubby and i decided to try again and am now 7+3, so needless to say when i discovered i was passing brown discharge i started freaking out! The hospital arent interested as im 'still early days' and i 'have to just wait to see' and im too early for a midwife here-get one at 12wks!! I havent any pain but thankfully i have a scan booked for thurs which might put my mind at rest! Thankyou to everyone who puts the time and effort into this page as you really have made me relax! Good luck to all xx

Pingpong Tue 30-Jun-09 21:58:12

I don't want to be alarmist and I haven't read the entire thread just the recent posts.I had brown bleeding with my ectopic pregnancy. It was the first sign that something was wrong.
Some people have bleeding in pregnancy and there is nothing wrong at all but if you experience bleeding then please see a health care provider. If you are in pain - abdominal or shoulder tip pain then go straight to A&E
this site has more information on what to look out for

saz81 Wed 01-Jul-09 10:18:11

I no mine isnt ectopic as iv already been brought in early on for a scan, a week and a half ago, and the sac was visible on the screen. Ive researched this loads and keep getting the same answer that its 'old blood discharge' that apparently ur body expels. However, i havent had any pain with mine. If in doubt see ur doc or m.w they might go through this every day but its a unique and scary experience for everyone no matter how many children you may have/havent had.

B33 Wed 01-Jul-09 14:51:14

Went for my scan yest, had to have an internal scan as nothing showed up. The internal put me at 5 weeks an 6 days, less than we thought and showed a bleed but couldnt tell if it was still bleeding. My blob is still there an has a heartbeat which she said is really good sign, so fingers an toes crossed it will carry on beating. She also said as the bleeding was brown it most probally is old blood and hopefully will stop in a few days, thankfully it does seemed to of stopped. I have been signed off work an told to rest. My best wishes to anyone else experiencing this and thank you to everyone an the site for highlighting this very scary problem. Good luck to you all xxx

Pingpong Thu 02-Jul-09 15:13:02

That's great news B33 and saz81. Ectopic is really a horrible experience to go through.
I wish you both good luck with your pregnancies and hope the bleeding tales off.

Mouette Thu 02-Jul-09 18:41:38

I had bleeding (brown and red) in both my pregnancies, it happened several times, but turned out to be harmless. My consultant said it was probably the cervix, but in your case it could also be implantation bleeding.
If you get a fresh red bleed, it's best to get a scan done to confirm everything is OK. Be aware that if you have a scan done at 6 weeks they may not be able to pick up the heartbeat - it's usually best to wait until 7 weeks. In short I wouldn't worry - brown blood without pain is OK, even a bit of red blood without pain is usually OK too. xx

Mouette Thu 02-Jul-09 19:32:16

I had bleeding (brown and red) in both my pregnancies, it happened several times, but turned out to be harmless. My consultant said it was probably the cervix, but in your case it could also be implantation bleeding.
If you get a fresh red bleed, it's best to get a scan done to confirm everything is OK. Be aware that if you have a scan done at 6 weeks they may not be able to pick up the heartbeat - it's usually best to wait until 7 weeks. In short I wouldn't worry - brown blood without pain is OK, even a bit of red blood without pain is usually OK too. xx

Mouette Thu 02-Jul-09 19:32:25

Mouette Thu 02-Jul-09 19:32:28

Mouette Thu 02-Jul-09 19:32:30

Mouette Thu 02-Jul-09 19:32:34

lotti89 Sun 12-Jul-09 23:33:06

hiya all, last year at 4/5 weeks i had brown discharge which turned to blood and then i m/c and never had any pregnancy symtons, im now pregnant again about 5/6 weeks with sore boobs and morin sickness and last week started to get the brown discharge again which lasted 5days then it stoped for 2days then stated again for 2days went pink at the night then stopped which now its been 2days still nothin i still have mornin and sore boobs, im worried and was wondin if anyone could tell me anythin about it. im only 19 so dnt no much, xx

woodhj Thu 23-Jul-09 21:44:07

Im 14 weeks pregnant and have recently noticed a brown discharge, this is the time i would be on my period but have not seen the discharge the two previous months. The amount is minimal but i also noticed today a tiny clot about the size of a small pea. i have had my 12 week scan and everything was o.k i have had no pain. Anyone else had brown discharge this far into pregnancy?

AcademicMum Thu 23-Jul-09 22:07:19

Bleeding in pregnancy is awful isn't it? I had bleeding with both of mine. With DS1 at 11 weeks and again at 12 weeks. With ds2 I had bleeding about 6 or 7 times in the whole pregnancy. At 12 weeks I really thought I was having a miscarriage as it was so heavy (much worse than the start of a period and with big clots). I had again at about 26 weeks where they gave me steroids in case I went into premature labour!!!

However, my point is that ds2 was born healthy at term and they never did find out the reason for the bleeding. The best they could come up with is just "some women do bleed". So, I just wanted to say it can have a happy ending and although it is scary, try to stay positive. A surprisingly large number of women bleed and more than half are fine smile.

woodhj Fri 24-Jul-09 07:56:45

Thanks i will ring the docs but i know what they will say, dont worry and ring back if anything heavier.
Im sure everything will be o.k it just makes you worry and realise you cant take for granted just because you have had one healthy pregnancy all will be the same.

justmee Sun 26-Jul-09 10:51:31

hi all.
i just found out yesturday i am pregnant after having 2 mc last year.
i thought i was coming on my period as i had a bit of brownish stuff but then after 3 days it still didnt come on so i took a test and got a possitive but now im worrying like silly that im going to misscarry again going to the doctors on tuesday still having light brown discharge.dreading it

chimp25 Sun 26-Jul-09 16:30:21

hi there ive had 5 m/c in the last 2 years and have found out i am 5-6 weeks preg again yesterday i started having brown bleeding which is totally freaking me out. been at the hospital today and they have been next to useless.With my other m/c s i have had pain but this time i havent. each time i have had a mc the docs say its just one of those things which is driving me mad.Guess ill just have to wait for my early scan on fri. thinking of u all going through the same xx

mummytobe09 Mon 27-Jul-09 10:59:24

Hi
I am about 10/11 weeks pregnant and booked in for my scan 12th august. last night when i went to the toilet before bed a noticed a really small,hardly visable. got up this morning and its much the same,however 2 hours later seamed a slight bit heavier. rang midwife who said dnt worry,come to a+e if it gets red etc,booked me for early scan on friday,worried sick as i m/c in september last year at 11 weeks. my partner is away working which makes it harder so i am goin for scan with his mum. hope all is well. any advice? x

divinglilly Tue 15-Dec-09 17:35:49

Can anyone help with this one. I'm just over 4 weeks pregnant and last night I noticed some brown blood/discharge when I went to the toilet. This has continued to day but isn't a continual flow. I called the midwife who didn't seem overly concerned and said it was probably implantation blood, however when I went to the see the doctor he told me I was probably having a miscarriage. I've had no pain, no red/fresh blood and the bleeding has been really night - not even enough to fill a pantyliner. I'm now really, really stressed as the doctor has said it's a wait and see situation. I've been pregnant before, losing the baby at 5 months but I don't remember having this previously. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Missus84 Tue 15-Dec-09 17:47:10

It seems a bit premature of the doctor to say it's probably a miscarriage! Tbh the midwife is likely to know more about pregnancy then the GP.

Brown blood with no pain at this stage is more often just implantation bleeding.

TishTosh21 Tue 15-Dec-09 19:10:29

I had this at about 6 weeks, its nothing to worry about at all, its just your body getting rid of old blood which is a good thing smile

muddler Tue 15-Dec-09 21:02:54

I had exactly the same at 4 weeks - am now 8 weeks. I went to the doctor who booked me into EPU for an early scan. Turned out to be too early and it took three scans before they could see anything! Saw fetus and hb at 6 weeks....
I got a lot of reassurance in the meantime on here and in real life that it is quite common.
Agree your doc is being a bit pessimistic - unless you have more bleeding and pain chances are everything is absolutely fine. Can you ask for a referral for an early scan for reassurance?

divinglilly Thu 24-Dec-09 09:12:11

Thanks so much for the reassurance. I've since had another pregancy test which was positive. I've also had an early scan which showed a pregnancy sac but apparently gestationally I'm only 5 weeks so it was too early to tell if everything's ok inside so I'm heading back to the hospital on the 6th. I am feeling quite positive about the pregnancy now, and I think (fingers crossed) everything will be ok.

charliel123 Mon 26-Jul-10 19:53:30

i am also 6 weeks pregnant and have had brown discharge its gettibg heavier ive been to the doctors and they said if it get worse go back in a few days! im very worried cause this is my first prenancy and do not have my next scan until the 25th august. help.........

cindy1234 Sat 02-Oct-10 23:12:54

I am 5 weeks as of yesterday and at the same time noticed a brown discharged with clear discharged around it. Has anyone experienced this???

sweetypie14567 Sat 09-Oct-10 18:48:20

im 29weeks pregnant and having the same thing. since this is my first pregnacy and cant see my midwife until next week i dont knw what this means, if its good or bad. ca anyone help??

nikki3183 Tue 12-Oct-10 16:48:36

I bled a little last night with bad cramps and today i just have brownish discharge. I started my new birth control a few months ago, and i skip the last week of pills in the pack, this is the week i skip but i started a new pack. I was just wondering what anyone thought of the cramps and very little bleeding and then brownish discharge?? Thanks

nikki3183 Tue 12-Oct-10 16:52:48

I just started a new birth control pill and i skip the last week and this week i would be on the last week of the pack. i had bad cramps and a little bleeding last night and today i have brownish discharge? can anyone help with this , if its normal ?? I have been on the new pills for about 3 months.

vintageflower Thu 28-Oct-10 12:09:05

Hi, I am a little concerned as I started spotting with brown discharge on Monday. I went to the EPU dept and all they could see on the scan was a sac and no fetus! They said it may be too early and to come back in 2 weeks for another scan to see if if changes. I do have a Bicornuate Uterus (heart shaped) and was wondering if that could possibly be why I am getting this discharge as today its become far more watery. I have all the pregnancy symptoms, really nauseas, incredibly tired all the time. Has anyone else gone through this? Would love to hear your story, good or bad... many thanks

MrsBakerNeeld Sun 13-Feb-11 18:04:47

Hi everyone,

I'm 7 weeks/5 days into my first pregnancy and had a small amount of pinkish brown opaque discharge this morning. It seems to have stopped for now, went and saw the GP (out of hours)who was less than reassuring. She recommended going back tomorrow to get referred to EPU but I'm just a bit worried.

Still exhibiting signs of pregnancy, lots of sickness and the usual tiredness etc. I have no accompanying pain to the discharge but I'm just seeking anyone with similar experience?

Thanks

fallingandlaughing Mon 14-Feb-11 16:24:20

MrsBaker.

You might get more replies starting a new thread - this one is 6 years old so people might not hang on to get to your post.

I had similar discharge at 6 weeks and all was fine. It seems to be quite common. I am now 17+4. The lightness and lack of pain are a good sign, as are the continued preg symptoms. Go to EPU for reassurance. If it gets heavy and bloody(soaking through pads) or painful go to A nd E. Try not to worry.

stewpot60 Thu 24-Mar-11 16:05:46

my wife is expecting our third child we have had 2 baby girls rose being 2yrs old ans maisie only 8mnths old, she is experiencing a brown discharge also had some bleeding she is suffering with bad aches and pains in the neck and shoulders also she seems very hot one minute then cold. she has seen the midwife today and informed her of the dicharge & bleeding she has to go back to hospital tomorrow for a scan.my one concern she maybe losing the baby as she fell quite quickly after maisie could this have something to do with it.

silverangel Thu 24-Mar-11 16:14:18

Stew - dont panic. I had this and completley panicked, turned out everything is absolutley fine but the placenta was low lying so caused the bleed.

Hope everything is ok.

Shar100 Thu 12-May-11 17:26:42

I am 7 weeks pregnant and have had a few spots of red blood early in this week and brown discharge a few days later.
i phoned a midwife-friend who is very experienced. She said - sometimes bleeding can be indicative of a problem, but mostly it is just a tiny tear from strenuous activity. I spent a few days in hospital at 6 weeks with gastric flu, she thought that the stomach cramping from this may have caused the shift in my womb, and therefore the bleeding. She said if I got more bleeding - 2 or 3 boughts for example, then I should get a scan at casualty. She advise me not to run, cycle, lift heavy things, for a week to allow any tears to heal.

I don't think anyone can tell you point blank that any blood is fine in preg, but it does happen often enough that most people go on to have a normal pregnancy, and things are usually fine. People have such different pregnancies it is hard to apply other experiences to your own. Unless you have history of spotting followed by miscarriage, i think you can afford not to worry too much.

The NHS site only mentions bleeding, not spotting, so the advice is a bit misleading - it says go straight to a doctor.

As I understand it there isn't anything that can be done to prevent miscarriage - if my bleeding IS a miscarriage. And the most likely answer if that things are fine. Doesn't sound like much will be achieved by going to casualty to see if they will scan me so just gonna wait it out til 12 week scan. My first preg so can always try again if i miscarry. My view is that there is nothing to be achieved by worrying about it.

janey54 Wed 25-May-11 22:39:28

I don't know if this is any help to you but its all about discharge in pregnancy:
dischargeduringpregnancy.org.uk

Hopefully this may help put your mind at ease.

manelzo Fri 15-Jul-11 15:40:27

hello iam in mmy earlyy days of pregnancy and im hhaving brownish discharge and now im panicing because i have had miscarages before is this usual must i not stress???

pregnantmimi Sat 16-Jul-11 02:28:05

I had bleeding all thou pregnancy found out Im res negative blood type need a injection if it happens again im 17 weeksxx had bleeding 5 11 and 13 weeks xx

Alleycat13 Sat 16-Jul-11 11:34:29

hello,
i'm not sure if i'm still pregnant or not. I didn't even realise I was pregnant until I was 6 weeks because I had what I thought was my period at the usual time, then 2 weeks later I had a lot of brown discharge over 3 days with some pain. i didn't feel quite right so took a test and it was positive, continued to take tests over 3 days all positive and then i started bleeding after I had an internal examination by my doctor. bleeding (bright red) continued for about 2 days, but no pain. then i took another test (bit obsessed as I've had 2 miscarriages in the past) and the result was negative, then the following day positive, then the next day negative. what is going on? am i still pregnant?

pregnantmimi Sat 16-Jul-11 21:04:57

alley cat you need go for a scan tests can show funny results anyway if your levels still the same I had a scan at 5 weeks 6 days and detected a heart beat you could go a and e for one as its the weekend

Alleycat13 Sun 17-Jul-11 18:16:12

hi, i've got an appointment at the hospital 9.30 tmrw so will ask for a scan and beta hcg blood tests then. fingers crossed!

Sumi76 Sun 17-Jul-11 18:51:20

Hi ! I had brownish black discharge when i was 6w but stopped in 2 days. Doc said it was implantation bleeding so dont worry.

pregnantmimi Sun 17-Jul-11 21:04:54

alleycat let us know how the scan goes you know I had bright red blood and pain 5 weeks 6 days and been fine xx

Alleycat13 Mon 18-Jul-11 14:44:10

Hi went to doc today. Had Beta HCG test - level was only 48 so she said it's probably a miscarriage. Got my second blood test on Friday to compare but it's not looking good :-(

pregnantmimi Tue 19-Jul-11 02:49:14

sorry alleycat let us know how friday goes take it easyxx

Alleycat13 Fri 22-Jul-11 16:53:32

hi all, got the blood test results, HCG is 100 now, so it's going up! got an ultrasound on monday. will let you know how it goes.

Alleycat13 Mon 25-Jul-11 13:09:17

hi guys, had ultrasound and the doctor's 99% sure it's ectopic. she sent me for blood test, got another one on wednesday. she said that I'll probably need a laparoscopy to remove my left fallopian tube. i'm so stressed out and worried. i've heard such awful things about ectopic pregnancies, i feel like a ticking bomb. kind of wish it had just been a miscarriage, instead i'm supposed to just wait and see if it's comes out naturally or not. feel so worried.

florence8 Mon 01-Aug-11 08:06:45

Hi Allycat13, hope everything goes ok for you x its easy to say dont stress but what could be more stressful, will be thinking of you! Im in a similar predicament, brown discharge, levels increasing but that cant find anything in u/s no baby, sac nothing and all clear in the tubes...for now, maybe to early to tell, by my dates i should be 6 weeks 4days but my hcg level indicate only 5 weeks I have no idea what to think or what is going to happen x

Alleycat13 Thu 04-Aug-11 09:26:46

Hi guys, just wanted to update you - had surgery on monday. they decided to save my tube, so on tuesday they gave me a shot of methotrexate. Feeling quite rubbish now between the surgical wounds pain and the methotrexate side effects plus coming to terms with losing a 3rd baby. Ah well at least I have a wonderful husband! x

IssyStark Thu 04-Aug-11 12:12:06

Just another one to say, yep totally normal.

I bleed off and on (always brown discharge) throughout the first trimester with DS and that was after two m/c. I've had 6 losses since (currently 21w with #2) and with none of my m/c did I have brown discharge before the m/c started properly, so as far as I am concerned brown discharge is good!

stress23 Thu 15-Sep-11 15:07:11

Hi im wondering if you can help me. i to have started spotting brown over the passed few days and have cramps on my right side.... i have all the signs of pregnancy sore breasts, non period, feeling sick you name it. i have pretty irregular periods so judging by the date of last ups id say i would only be around 3 weeks max however i am pretty convinced im pregnant and so is my gp who has examined me an keeps sending me to epu for a scan, however they keep telling me my urine pregnancy test is negative so they wont do a scan?! well it would be negative if i was less than 21 days wouldnt it? can any body advise whats going on?? xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

smiles83 Thu 29-Sep-11 21:29:29

Im 16 weeks pregnant and just noticed brown dicharge I'd this normal fir this stage in pregnancy

Spellcheck Tue 04-Oct-11 21:05:22

Apparently yes it is, I know that if it's brown then it's old blood etc etc, but it doesn't stop me panicking. I'm 15 weeks 4 days.

I had back and abdominal cramps all last week Started bleeding a bit on Thursday (red), panicked, went to A&E and had an internal, and they told me my cervix was closed, but I had a threatened miscarriage and to take it very easy. I had a scan the next day and thankfully saw a beautiful baby kicking away in there.

Funnily enough, all the prodding about they did seemed to help with the pain and it more or less went over the weekend. Had a tiny bit of brown spotting but nothing major.

DP and I had sex on Sunday night, and now the brown gooey stuff is coming out every time I wipe. Sure it's cervical erosion from the other night, but I did have little red clots this morning which has sent me into overdrive again. I have mild cramping, pretty much all the time, which started this morning.

I have three dc, all healthy problem-free pregnancies with them. I had a m/c at Christmas last year. Just feel so on edge!!!!

Good luck to anyone who reads this. Similar stories with outcomes gratefully received!

Cassie90 Tue 01-Nov-11 03:20:21

hey this is my first time posting up here. Im a little confused at the moment and was wondering if anyone can help me. My fiancee and i have been together for a year and a half and we having exactly been trying but havent fallen pregnant yet. We have wanted to fall pregnant for the last year but no luck, my period is always regular give or take a day and this month im 3 days late today. I only have a few pregnancy symptoms (sore breasts isnt one of them) so iv started to get excited although i keep feeling like i am going to get my period at any minute. I did a test about an hour ago and it came up negitive and then about half an hour later i went to the toilet and had a bit of brown discharge. So now im wondering is that the start of my period or might i still be pregnant? Please help! im so confused =/

CollieandPup Tue 01-Nov-11 04:13:24

Cassie you should do a pregnancy test with your first morning urine as the pregnancy levels will be stronger for the test to pick up. I would expect at 3 days after your period is due for you to get a positive if you were pregnant. Brown discharge really could be a sign of either- this is the cruelty of symptom spotting when you are trying to concieve (ttc).

If you are not pregnant this time, but want to more actively try, you should really learn a bit more about your cycle. It's good you have a regular cycle. Depending on the length of your cycle will determine when you are likely to ovulate, and so when is the best time to 'try'. Many people try for a long time, but aren't doing the deed on the right days!

Have a look at the conception threads, there is lots if helpful chatter from people trying to concieve. see here

Good luck x

Cassie90 Tue 01-Nov-11 04:22:43

CollieandPup Thanks for your advice and help. I was trying to find a positive explanation for the discharge and thought maybe it was implantation? I haven't had any more since and I wont know till the morning, l'l do another test and then if its negative wait to see if i get my period if I don't I think I will just go to the doctors and get a blood test. Thanks again.

CollieandPup Tue 01-Nov-11 08:39:00

Cassie, brown spooting could be a sign of implantation (I never got it though) but you would usually get this about 5-7 days (ish) after you had ovulated but also several days before your period was due. But perhaps if you ovulated late, your cycle could be a few days longer.

Fx it's positive news! a negative test but no period is very annoying!!!!! Xx

mumt1 Tue 01-Nov-11 08:48:36

Its so common..I had extreme pain and bleeding from 6-10weeks! The bleeding stopped but pains carried on n I'm now 15 weeks.and apparantly with a very healthy yet small baby smile xx

mumt1 Tue 01-Nov-11 08:59:35

cassie I couldn't get a positive test until I was a week late. And my periods are like clockwork so thought I shudda gt one earlier. Brown spotting can be just the implantation. So don't let go of ur hopes just yet! SORRY for previous post...didn't look at dates! Haha

juls32 Tue 01-Nov-11 10:22:23

hi everyone im 5 1/2 weeks pregnant and had a bright red bleed (only when i wiped once!) on friday morning, nothing again until this morning were i had a brownish discharge! ive got an early scan this friday but getting freaked out as ive previously had a mc last summer. I've had cramps on and off.

any advice is greatly appreciated!

CollieandPup Tue 01-Nov-11 10:53:13

juls you've done the right thing getting a scan and checked out. I'm pg after a mc in Dec so I totally understand how scary pregnancy after mc can be.

Red blood is always scary, but it doesn't have to mean doom. I've been on a thread with several women who had red and brown blood in early pregnancy and are all now heavily pregnant or have little babies in their arms!!!

The thread I'm talking about is in conception, and its called the freak out room see here it's full of ladies in early pregnancy after mc so they all know what you are going through.

Good luck xx

manoona Mon 02-Jan-12 22:52:15

Hi Ladies,
I have been reading the forum and need some advice as I am really worried here

I am 36 and have got 2 boys aged 6 yrs and 2 yrs. I have started trying to get pregnant in November 2011. My last period was on the 6th of December and I have 26 days cycle. My next period was supposed to be on the 31st of December 2011 or 1st of Jan2012. However, I did a pregnancy test on the 30th of Dec 2011 before my period due date and tested positive as I felt some pregnancy symptoms.

I repeated the test again on the 31st to double check and tested positive and was quite happy. However on the evening of the 1st of Jan 2012-yesterrday, I went to the ladies room and was shocked to see some blood when I wiped off (apologies). I thought my period has started!

I went back home and checked but there was no more blood coming. I have used a towel since then to monitor the bleeding/discharge but until the moment it is white and there is nothing on it. However, I only notice some brown or pink discharge when I wipe off.
I have repeated the tests again last night and this morning and they are still positive.

I am very worried as I do not know if this is a sign that my period is coming within the next days, a sign of early miscarriage or is what is called it implantation bleeding?
Moreover, do you get implantation bleeding after a positive pregnancy test?

That has never happened to me with my first two pregnancies. I did not have any miscarriages before so am I not sure what are the symptoms.

I am planning to book an appointment with the GP tomorrow but I have a feeling he will not be quite helpful and I want to push them to send me to the specialist unit asap and have an ultrasound and also check my HCG levels. Any tips on how to process this quicker? Can I call the midwifes directly and refer myself?

Thanks,

lollystix Mon 02-Jan-12 22:57:58

Hi- I got implantation bleeding at 7 weeks with ds3 (positive preg test at 4 weeks btw) - never had it with other 2 so was scared. Was on holiday at the time so called triage at my hospital and they advised a&e at holiday hospital. They did examination and next day got appointment for scan with early pregnancy unit. All was fine. Discharge was brown and not much - mainly on wiping - lasted about a week. Good luckxx

manoona Mon 02-Jan-12 23:29:59

Thanks Lollystix. It is a bit releifing as you say that you can get implantation bleeding following testing positive. Let's hope it is the case for me.

Is there an early pregrnancy unit in the UK hospitals? Do I call them directly or through the GP? They wouldnt scan u when u are 4 weeks only, correct?

lollystix Tue 03-Jan-12 00:48:46

I don't think you'll get much help at 4 weeks tbh as heartbeat can't be seen till 6 at least. Think most hospitals have EPU affiliated to the scanning and maternity department. I think you may have to wait it out but I would go directly to triage rather than gp - I know my own gp would give a me a fob off.

It's very worrying and I really sympathise but if the blood is brown and you have no pain these are good signs.

manoona Tue 03-Jan-12 10:20:08

Thanks again for your advice. I think you are correct and they would not do me an ultrasound before am 6-weeks. I will at least try to get a blood testdone to monitor my HCG levels. I can't help worrying I am afraid :-(
although I read all those comments about the fact that is brown discharge and no pain should not be worrying..
But thank u so much for your advice and support.

Penny2012 Sun 05-Feb-12 22:19:46

I am currrently 8 weeks and had this same problem from Tuesday afternoon until Saturday lunchtime. It was very scant and light brown. It can be disconcerting at the time but mine stopped and c/m has been clear ever since. Apparently about 70% of women experience this. If you have red blood with clots or cramping then that is the time to worry and see your doctor. I am going for a TV scan on Tuesday to be sure that everything is ok but that is more to put my mind at rest than anything else. I still feel very nauseous, sore boobed and "pregnant" so that is a good sign!
If you are reading this because you're having the same problem, DON'T WORRY because that won't solve anything, just monitor it and be positive and hopeful. All you really can do is wait and ensure you don't do anything to put yourself or your baby at risk.
xx

shemacin Sun 05-Feb-12 22:30:00

thanks penny. I'm driving myself slowly insane at the moment, doing pregnancy tests and checking when i wipe as still getting brownish stuff since got a BFP on Wed (1/02), never had any bleeding with either of m last two successful pregnancies.

Penny2012 Mon 06-Feb-12 17:24:59

Hi Shemacin: I think spotting right at the start is thought to be to do with implantation and in fact a sign of pregnancy - so a positive thing! x

I have started to have more brown discharge today so am re-reading my own post trying to keep calm and positive. I feel like my body is playing some sort of cruel game teasing me. if I am going to m/c i wish it would just happen and, if not, i wish the brown would just stop! It's frustrating mainly. Just taking each day at a time and glad i've got my scan tomorrow morning which will tell me how the baby is. I'm aware that the scan is information, nothing more. If I'm going to m/c i still could the following day, or i could have brown discharge for weeks and still have a healthy pregnancy. how alien it is to me not to be in control of my life. we are helpless to the forces of nature...confused

Belinda495 Mon 06-Feb-12 21:11:09

I have found this thread of messages a great comfort over the last week and thought I would share my story too. On Wednesday I have some brown discharge, phoned nhs direct and they advised as there was no pain ( only had the lightest mild cramping) to go and see my gp in the morning. I was 7 weeks. Saw gp, she was a doom monger and sent me away thinking miscarriage was most likely but organised for me to go to the early pregnancy unit. I was there within two hours and they checked my cervix, as well as taking blood for every test imaginable. My cervix was closed and I was told to rest and go home but come back should I have any bleeding. I went away with happy, safe in the knowledge that my hcg levels were high and the cervix closed and a scan was booked for Monday ( this morning).

Last night I had a huge shock. At 9pm, I went to the loo and bright red blood poured from me. Again I had mild cramping but there was no tissue loss. My husband rang the early pregnancy unit and I was rushed in. Again I had an examination but the bleeding stopped and my cervIx was closed. I was kept in overnight for examination knowing I had the scan this morning but had convinced myself baby was either ectopic, or had died or was no longer there.

My husband came back to hospital at 8.30 and we were very solemn. At 9 we were taken for the scan and low and behold, s/he is there with a really strong heartbeat. I am still spotting but have no pain and was told that I am very very unlikely to miscarry as baby looks fine and the heartbeat is strong.

My advice to anyone ( having miscarried 9 years earlier) is where possible speak to your gp. Take comfort from the fact that brown discharge and later bright red blood doesn't necessarily mean that baby has gone. Little miracles do happen and our bodies behave in unexpected ways. But get it checked out!

shemacin Mon 06-Feb-12 21:40:16

thanks for your story Belinda and what a wonderful day you have had today.
my consultant last time says that once you see a heartbeat the chance of miscarriage drops way down to 15%. I think this is from 50% at the very start.
Penny- is it possible the second lot of spotting is the cervix closing over?
i bumped into my gp at nursery pick up this morning and told her i had had positive results and brown spotting- to which she said 'make an appointment , i never like hearing that, could mean there is something wrong'- talk about reassuring!!

Penny2012 Tue 07-Feb-12 22:22:47

Shemachin- I think that these doctors and midwives are sometimes more eager to treat the problem (and cover their professional position) rather than treat the patient. The facts are that is really common and unless it's red clots and pain, it's probably nothing. Moreover, there's nothing anyone can do if you are going to m/c it's out of human hands so it's in everyone's interests to reassure expectant mothers. Stressing certainly isn't going to help! [Even Beyonce had a miscarriage and she can probably pay for the most advanced medics around!]
I had my scan today and was very reassured by the staff at the EPAU. The scan was through my belly (not transvaginal as I thought it might be) as I had such a full bladder that they could see it clearly. I even got a picture and saw the heart blinking away at me! It gave me such a reassuring surge of hope and positivity to see it there.
I've now banned myself from worrying about anything at all unless it's lots of red blood with clots and pain. One helpful nurse pointed out that the whole department wouldn't be there unless this was a common problem. She simply said not to worry and I felt my eyes fill with tears. If someone had said that to me when I originally rang last Thursday (and not been a doom-monger as Belinda495 so accurately puts it!) it would have saved me a LOT of worry and panic! I would recommend the scan if you are concerned though as it is very calming to know that all is well - which, in most cases, it is!!
Babydust to all xxx

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Tue 07-Feb-12 23:36:01

these good news stories are great but i hope no-one takes away from this thread that brown blood is not something to worry about. it absolutely is, because it's one of the signatures of ectopic pregnancy, the highest maternal killer in the UK. you must get it checked out.

Clementine79 Wed 08-Feb-12 09:38:00

I've had brown discharge every day since about 6 weeks pregnant. I'm coming up to ten weeks now. I've had three scans, all of which have shown the baby as fine, strong heartbeat etc. I haven't had any pain, but one day I did have a gush of red blood which obviously was really scary. I got scanned the next day, all was fine. They think there is a hematoma blood clot thing around the baby. They said to avoid strenuous exercise, no sex, and come back in for a scan if the bleeding gets heavy or painful. I'm waiting to go for my twelve week scan now and am nervous, but really just trying to tell myself that what will be will be.

shemacin Wed 08-Feb-12 14:07:31

aitchtwoohonetwo: i called EPU today as still getting brownish discharge, they said to go to a & e if i was worried as i was too early for them!! too early for a EPU - r they having a laugh. I'm about 5-6 weeks.

shemacin Wed 08-Feb-12 16:12:45

oh well, just had a nap and no longer getting brown spotting- turned to bright red blood and period cramps have started.
so i guess in my case brown spotting not so good.
hope everyone else gets on well, best wishes

Penny2012 Wed 08-Feb-12 21:41:10

So sorry to hear that shemachin. Have you miscarried? x

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Wed 08-Feb-12 21:50:38

that's disappointign treatment from the epu, not least becuase a&e would likely send you to epu for a transvaginal scan anyway... unless they don't have the equipment.
i'm sorry to hear that your bleeding has increased, do take care of yourself. look out for pains, particularly in teh shoulder tip area, as that's not a good sign. if the bleeding doesn't increase in the next wee while i'd consider pushing for hcg bloods or a scan.

shemacin Thu 09-Feb-12 07:30:39

Oh Aitch ive no idea anymore- Nothing more than reddish brownish discharge and very slight pain, can't even call it cramping but feel like period is about to start. When I checked my phone yesterday afternoon after my nap the EPU had left a voicemail offering me an appointment next Wednesday. I don't feel pregnant but didn't feel pregnant with dd1 from about 6-9 weeks and panicked but all was ok. I'm at a loss and going to call EPU back this morning to have a chat.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Thu 09-Feb-12 08:48:59

i know what you mean about not feeling pregnant, think it's probably best you get checked out though. you poor thing, this uncertainty is horrible.

lolajane2009 Thu 09-Feb-12 10:31:29

i had it three times in my pregnancy and slight cramping and was fine. Was never much blood though. My son is now almost 6 months.

shemacin Thu 09-Feb-12 11:33:31

done two more tests today, not on first wee,
one digi test says pregnancy 1-2 weeks since conception (last one said 2-3 weeks last friday) and one tescos own brand which too a while to come up but still within 10 minutes and also said pregnant- again very week line like i got on sun night and mon morning. Am i miscarrying??
no more discharge only spotting when wiping - HELP, Im going insane, i need to get my mind on something else as I'm going to get locked up at this rate.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Thu 09-Feb-12 12:59:33

i think you should go with your instincts and call the EPU for a chat, not knowing is awful, i agree.

shemacin Thu 09-Feb-12 19:54:29

Spoke with my gyn secretary and she said he'd call me back.
Which he did- i really love him! anyway he offered to scan me today but as i had started bleeding I'm pretty certain I've miscarried now so he is going to see me in 2 weeks time to scan and make sure everything is back to normal and is going to have a chat with me about my m/c's so feel a LOT happier tonight.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Thu 09-Feb-12 20:17:39

oh how bittersweet for you, am so sorry to hear that (while of course being glad it's not something worse). amazing how comforting speaking to a good doctor is, of course.

shemacin Thu 09-Feb-12 21:00:45

i know, not sure what i would do without him,
i didn't really want to call him this time as i feel that i shouldn't need to go to a consultant in order to be fixed so to speak, but the midwifes really were so dismissive yesterday and i didn't see how a&e could help.
I've no idea how other woman cope- i seem to need a lot of hand holding and it seems to be getting worse the older i get

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Thu 09-Feb-12 21:12:11

i have a wonderful doctor too, i honestly feel like nothing bad can happen when he's around. and i do think the EPU were shits to you, so you're hardly unusual in feeling bad about that, regardless of your age.

worrier1sttimemom Thu 09-Feb-12 21:55:46

i am reading these threads because i am having the same issue. I am 5 weeks/ 3 days. Last week which should have been my period, everytime i wiped i had slight to medium brown discharge then it would go away and come back lighter sometimes a couple times it has been light pink . I have had some cramping on my right side but not bad. I went to my gyn yesterday they said my cervix is closed and they didn't see anything but a little bit of brown old blood. He said everything looks fine. I didn't get a scan , he said it was too early, but they did give me a blood test to check HCG levels * hope its okay. I have had a miscarriage 1 yr 1/2 ago and had no spotting what so ever with that MC. I have some pregnancy symptoms now, dizzy , nauseous sometimes, sensitive to smells, tender breasts. I feel like my symptoms fade in and out and i haven't really had morning sickness no throwing up at all. I am just worried that discharge and no morning sickness and fading symptoms are signs of a M/C. last week my breasts were extremely painful now they feel okay.. a little tender sometimes. * Just worrying because of my last M/C.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Thu 09-Feb-12 22:06:50

of course you are... it's terribly worrying. the docs are absolutely doing the right thing by giving you serial hcgs (three minimum, so expect to get more bloods drawn) and then at 6 weeks a transvaginal scan.

if it's any comfort, i had two ectopic pregnancies and the only time i had the 'classic' 'prune-juice' bleeding was with my dd. so you really never know, all you can do is take care of yourself and deal with symptoms as they arise.

worrier1sttimemom Fri 10-Feb-12 20:34:56

What were your symptoms when you had an eptopic ? I just took my second blood test today to see if my levels doubled over a 48 hour period . * fingers crossed* although with my last MC my we're doubling up until I had the D&c so everything is so up in the air. As for the discharge/ spotting it's stopped ?! So we'll see. This helps having a place to talk about all this. Thanks for responding !!

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Fri 10-Feb-12 20:57:03

fingers totally crossed. i can't remember any other pains that were distinct from the 'being pregnant' stuff of pulling and stretching internally. the first time i went to the hosp because of bleeding, second time they scanned me because of history so i never developed any shoulder tip pain or terrible doubling over because the pregnancies weren't advanced at all. still missed them when they were gone, though. sad
all the best luck in the world to you.

worrier1sttimemom Fri 10-Feb-12 22:07:02

Oh I know how you feel, I miss my first one so much too. I was 10 weeks when it happened. I just got a call from my doctor that said my hcg levels went from 270 to 670 in 48 hours. He said that's a good sign. It seems a little low though for 5 weeks but maybe not . Still not getting my hopes up till I see a fetus and heartbeat on a sonogram !!

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Fri 10-Feb-12 22:26:21

that's GREAT. dd1's at 4 and a half weeks went 35, 52, (then three day gap because of bank hol) 88!, and then for some reason 140 and thereafter we found her where she should be. swear to you the hospital had told dh and i that it was all over again and were calculating the dose of methotrexate. so your figures sound very hopeful indeed to me.

worrier1sttimemom Fri 10-Feb-12 23:32:06

Thanks i hope so !

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Fri 10-Feb-12 23:34:53

smile

Belinda495 Tue 14-Feb-12 23:01:46

I have just been discharged from four days in hospital after another bout of heavy bleeding,this time with clots and I have never seen so much red blood. No cramping though and another scan at 3.20 today showed the embryo's heart beating away with everything in tact. I am now 8 weeks and 5days pregnant. The clots I had were the size of plums and my cervix was slightly dilated. Very scary time and my husband and I were convinced the scan wouldn't be good news BUT we were wrong. Just have to wait this out. I want to feel happy that s/he is still there but I daren't not just yet. The doctors have now termed this a threatened miscarriage and I have a one in four chance of miscarrying. I have brown discharge daily now. Everything is going to be fine but it has been a scary few days to say the least. All I can reiterate ladies is .......anything suspicious get it checked out, you will most likely be fine but it is good to have that reassurance.

Sassee Wed 15-Feb-12 10:29:02

I'm so pleased for you, that's great news, fingers crossed for you.

I've had a little bit of brown discharge and some pink on the toilet paper but no actual blood as such. No pain either. I had a MC in November so I am on high alert.

I'm 6+4 and am booked in for an internal scan tomorrow - sounds horrific! But a positive story was just what I needed right now!

Belinda495 Sun 19-Feb-12 21:57:55

Hi Sassee. Hope everything went well. I have had another small bleed but not worried now, I think I am just going to bleed and have brown discharge all the way through. No point stressing. Whatever will be will be but I am certain this will all turn out fine. 9 weeks 3 days now and counting. I am not blasee about it but if there is no pain and I am not losing large amounts of bright red blood then I am quite relaxed about it now. Well as relaxed as you can be smile!

Penny2012 Sun 19-Feb-12 23:26:45

I posted on here a couple of weeks ago when I was experiencing brown spotting. It's all stopped now. Just thought I'd update. I think it was when my period would have been. Good luck to everyone xx

Belinda495 Wed 22-Feb-12 19:33:03

Really pleased to hear that Penny. All mine appears to be settling down too. Tiniest bit of brown discharge and that is it. So fingers crossed. 10 weeks now smile
Rocky start but confident we will get there.

Belinda495 Wed 22-Feb-12 19:39:49

Emma, sorry just saw your post. I am sure it will be fine. The pain accompaniment is the thing to watch for apparently. It doesn't stop you worrying though and it sets your mind racing. Hang on in there and try to ask for an early scan or get them to check your cervix is closed, that will put your mind at rest. I would love to know how many women have this and don't experience further issues, I bet it is higher than we think judging by how many posts there are. Good luck with everything. Wishing you all the best smile

Belinda495 Wed 22-Feb-12 19:41:27

Baby brain I gear then! I just replied to a 7 year old message. Doh!

babysuze Fri 30-Mar-12 08:11:10

hi im 5 weeks and i noticed light bleed when i wiped yesterday i went to doctors and put me on the sick for a week to rest and ive got my scan nxt thurs i couldnt have a scan till im 6 weeks. ive now noticed brown discharge this morn and have had cramps for a few days

decemberbabylove Wed 18-Apr-12 16:50:12

I've had some brown and red bleeding for 3-4 days now and im in the first weeks of pregnancy. I am sooo scared because my bleeding its not in a size of spots ether like periods,something in between... is this dangerous can it be miscarriage? Please somebody answer, thank you!

sunshinesue Wed 18-Apr-12 17:03:07

You need to go to the dr's or EPU decemberbaby. Bleeding is very common in early pregnancy and many women carry on to have perfectly healthy babies but unfortunately it may also be a sign of something more serious. Only a medical professional will be able to tell you either way. I've found them very sympathetic on the whole. Fingers crossed for you x

decemberbabylove Wed 18-Apr-12 17:07:59

This is my first pregnancy and i pray god its not something serious and i don't have the courage to visit doctor i'm scared what they may say...thank you for your answer and support...xx

madtobemom Thu 15-Nov-12 03:13:28

Hiya! my last period date was 12/10/12. My next date will be 12/11/12 (I get regular cycle of periods). Till date i.e., 15/11/12 I don't have bleeding but there is brown discharge without pain. pl help me out whether i can check for pregnancy or is that the normal early symptoms of periods?.

Mummybella11 Tue 12-Feb-13 14:51:35

I am currently 7 weeks and 4 days. I had proper bleeding since about 5 weeks and have had two early pregnancy scans both showing baby is completely fine. The bleeding finally stopped a couple days ago. Me and my partner did it for the first time since concieving last night and I had brown discharge straight away. I have been told its nothing to worry about but I just can't help panicking. Have had two previous miscarriages and really want everything to be fine.

Girraferama Tue 12-Feb-13 20:26:23

I had pink spotting at 5 weeks and brown discharge when I wiped, only a couple of times, at 6 weeks. Had an agonising wait for an early scan (had to wait a whole week) but there was a healthy heartbeat and no sign of any problems! Hope it's all ok for you!

Teaandflapjacks Tue 12-Feb-13 20:42:52

I just wanted to reassure you on this. I also had this in early pregnancy - I am 15 weeks now - severe morning sickness (in the evening though) cramps and funny 'twinges', sometimes quite painful and a mild pink to brown discharge. I was really worried as it seemed to get worse, and i 'tested' with a mini tampon to see the amount coming out and it looked like a lot to me - sorry if TMI. I went and had it checked out at the hospital. I live in germany so don't know about UK hospitals, but they gave me a transvaginal scan immediately and took a metal spatula to look at the colour of the discharge. Everything was fine, and I saw the baby's heartbeat for the first time. They explained the blood was simply old blood leaving my body, and the cramps were my uterus expanding. This reassured me as they felt like period pains to me. They said the colour is the thing they look at - if it is obvious red blood then this is a concern. My best friend also had the same spotting here, and she is just about to give birth, I think it is not that uncommon. BUT they also said, if you are in any way worried, always, always go and have it checked out for peace of mind.

MarijaB Fri 22-Feb-13 12:48:26

From around week 6 I started having a light brown discharge. I saw my GP and was referred to EPU. The scan had shown a healthy fetus with a clear heart beat. I also found out that I had a blood clot in the uterus. This condition is called Subchorionic Hemorrhage or SCH for short.
The nurse exact words were - there is awful lot of women who come to EPU with an early pregnancy bleeding and are diagnosed with SCH, in the majority of the case the blood clot resolves itself by week 12 – 20, it either bleeds out or dissolves.

I kept on having brown discharge, never too much, sometimes with a line of red in. It was mainly in the mornings.
I have also read quite a few forums discussing an early pregnancy bleeding and noticed that in spite of being quite uncommon, there is not much said of SCH.

In any case if you have a bleeding/spotting/coloured discharge lasting for days, please don’t ignore it, but see a doctor and ask for a scan as soon as possible.

patmorgan12 Sat 02-Mar-13 09:50:39

hi im 6 weeks preg last nite i had light pink when i wiped myself then cleared up after cupple hours and had bit of sterchey feeling then when had 1st wee this morning i had brown/redish when i wiped my self after 2 more wees its stoped im not in any pain or have no cramps

Bakingtins Sat 02-Mar-13 19:57:21

Hi everyone. Pat hope you're a bit reassured after reading the thread that all of that can be normal. I'm 8 weeks and have had a pretty upsetting week after seeing brown discharge. I've had 2 healthy pregnancies, bled loads in one of them from 6-14 weeks due to a SCH as mentioned above, but also 2 miscarriages at 8-10 weeks which both started as just a little painless brownish discharge. I have a scan booked for Thursday and am trying to be calm and pragmatic and remind myself that I have no influence over the outcome, but I am crapping myself that I might lose the baby and have to go through another MC. sad

patmorgan12 Sat 02-Mar-13 21:04:09

hi have had some red aswelll now and cupple small cramps went to a and e and thay given me a scan on moneday no idea if everythings ok

patmorgan12 Sat 02-Mar-13 21:04:32

no pain now aswell

Salbertina Sat 02-Mar-13 21:09:19

Sure already said but brown much better than red! Probably just implantation bleed, quite common. Cross-fingers for you.

patmorgan12 Sat 02-Mar-13 21:32:11

hope so :-( had mc last year lost my mom in jan we thoght this was our postive but dont think its gonna

Salbertina Sat 02-Mar-13 21:34:07

I am really sorry to hear that, lots of luck and wishes for this little bean

patmorgan12 Sat 02-Mar-13 21:56:23

well it was browny red and now its more red now but slowed down its only there when i wipe myself and cramps gone but thay didnt hurt much like a twinge and thay gone now

Salbertina Sat 02-Mar-13 21:58:14

It could well be implantation. Rest up and watch a distracting dvd/read a book?

patmorgan12 Sat 02-Mar-13 22:10:08

hope so if it was a mc would came out by now?

Salbertina Sat 02-Mar-13 22:11:12

I should think so, rest up and try to relax, i know its hard!

patmorgan12 Sat 02-Mar-13 22:12:37

little colts ok ?

Bakingtins Sun 03-Mar-13 07:40:13

How are you this morning, Pat?

patmorgan12 Sun 03-Mar-13 10:15:58

still red but it stops at nite

Bakingtins Sun 03-Mar-13 15:23:51

If it's not getting worse that sounds hopeful. What time is your scan tomorrow? Be prepared that they will need to do a vaginal scan at that stage with the charmingly titled dildo-cam. It's not too bad, less uncomfortable than a smear. Fingers crossed you get to see a little flicker of a heartbeat.

luanmahi Sun 03-Mar-13 15:43:09

I had this and as it was my first pregnancy and I didn't know what to expect, I rushed myself off to hospital. It turned out to be a thrush which just went on its own.

patmorgan12 Sun 03-Mar-13 19:04:51

hi its stops at nite had some small cramps and like a slime as well

patmorgan12 Sun 03-Mar-13 19:08:11

and still feel tired

Bakingtins Sun 03-Mar-13 19:09:50

It's normal to get more discharge and stretching crampy feelings in early pregnancy. Hopefully your mind will be set to rest at the scan. Let us know how it goes.

patmorgan12 Sun 03-Mar-13 19:13:55

will im just realy worriyin as last year i mc and scard aain iv had some slimey discharge aswell cramps anit bad thay come and go discharge gets little bit reder and think had 2 small small clots

patmorgan12 Sun 03-Mar-13 19:18:58

and filled a pad aswell

Bakingtins Sun 03-Mar-13 20:07:08

I know. I've had 2 MCs and they started with just a bit of brown discharge. Seeing that during regular frantic knicker checking is the worst feeling in the world when you've lost a baby before. I'm terrified that I'll get to the scan on Thursday and they'll say the baby has died. Trying to be positive because I know I can't influence the outcome by worrying but it is hard. I'm keeping fingers crossed for good news for you tomorrow.

patmorgan12 Mon 04-Mar-13 08:48:39

i got scanb at 10 this morrning but anit keeping my hopes up im just passing like a redish slime

patmorgan12 Mon 04-Mar-13 08:49:03

scan

patmorgan12 Mon 04-Mar-13 19:58:35

well on friday it started as a pink slime for an hour then stopped until sat morning when woke up it was browny slime went to a&e didnt do anythin booked for a scan as the day went on it was lighter but more red and come the night time i had stopped then sunday mornin got up started again browny red not really had any cramps in the time 2days been more darky browny red sometimes dark pinky havent passed any clots its just alot of red browny slime had the scan this mornin and they said that the lining had thickened since 2weeks ago my hcg levels were 860 a week ago they cudnt see anythin else on the scan so they took some more blood get the results 2moro

Cocodale Mon 04-Mar-13 20:01:20

Yes all 3 pregnancies with no problems x

patmorgan12 Mon 04-Mar-13 20:02:36

its been more constant 2day but was stopping and starting all sat n sun and this mornin when i got up with the kids for school i had terrible back ache still got it and so tired still weeing alot

Bakingtins Mon 04-Mar-13 20:07:39

My brown discharge has progressed to bleeding and cramping so it's MC no3 for me. sad
Pat I hope everything works out for you.

patmorgan12 Tue 05-Mar-13 09:26:40

ok thx ok results am in of my blood results thay wa 840 last monday and thay said just that thay am now there are in there 2000s any ideas now please?

Bakingtins Tue 05-Mar-13 09:41:31

Think the levels are supposed to approximately double every 48-72 hours so since they have gone up a lot sounds like things may be progressing. Have you got another scan booked? They'd normally rescan you in a week and hope to see an embryo with a heartbeat in there. Hopefully you are just a little less far on than you thought and it will be better news next week.

patmorgan12 Tue 05-Mar-13 10:15:51

yer next monday for scran just dont no why the brown discharge and redish slime and got back ache now

WORRIEDWOMAN13 Mon 23-Sep-13 15:55:48

HI can anybody help me. I havent had a missed period yet it due in a few days i have been trying to get pregnant for a few months now, today i have went to the bathroom and noticed a light brown discharge. I have had mild cramps and have been feeling sick, especially in the evening and my breasts are very tender? can anybody help me to figure this one out??

Desperatelywanttobeamum Sat 11-Jan-14 19:11:14

Hello please help! I'm on my 13th pregnancy with no live children and I am experiencing the brown discharge and pains. I have spoken to nurses and like you all they have said brown blood is fine as it's old but I'm just so worried that I miscarry again!!! What shall I do I don't want to keep troubling the midwives every 5 minutes!!!

lizziekal Sat 11-Jan-14 19:24:15

How many weeks are you?

Desperatelywanttobeamum Sat 11-Jan-14 19:42:54

About 5 weeks

lizziekal Sat 11-Jan-14 19:57:28

I can understand why you're so worried given your awful history. I had 4 losses before this pregnancy which seems (amazingly) to be sticking (27 weeks now) and have had lots of spotting and bleeding with this pregnancy too.
Okay, so brown discharge at 5 weeks as you know can just be implantation bleeding but given that you have had repeated losses and are experiencing pain then you really should be offered some support from your local EPU - does your local unit offer self-referrals or do you have to go through your GP? If you can self-refer then I would contact them asap and perhaps exaggerate the pains a little and say that they are only on one side (it may feel horribly dishonest but you are more likely to be seen if there is a chance of this pregnancy being ectopic).
The biggest problem will, of course, be that at 5 weeks there is very little that can be done and not a great deal that can be seen on an ultrasound so most GPs and EPUs will tell you that you will just have to wait and see how things work out. If you have a very understanding GP or EPU they may offer to do test your HCG levels over a couple of days to see if things are at least heading in the right direction but, again, this will very much depend on where you're based.
Try to call your EPU and see if they can help. I'll keep everything crossed for you.

Desperatelywanttobeamum Sat 11-Jan-14 20:10:01

I've been in and out of my EPU for the last 2 weeks as I had pain on New Year's Eve. They done a scan and couldn't see anything so I had 3 HCG tests and it only went up a little from 732 - 935 - 1200 so I had another scan and they could see a sac in the womb which was good as they thought it might be ectopic. I go back a week Monday to see if it has progressed further. But I'm just worried as the pains are worse then they were last week.

Kells81 Sat 22-Feb-14 20:44:06

Hi I just had my dating scan and found out I am around 7 weeks :-) I have had a little bit of brown discharge for past few days and also after my scan on the paper it says I have a bulky uterus. I've checked online for what bulky uterus is and it doesn't sound good, any advice please?
Thanks

philippawong Mon 07-Jul-14 09:55:31

I got brown discharge for a few maths now. Had pregnancy test done and I'm not pregnant and I've still come on my period. My local client ain't concerned. Wt do people think or has it happened to anyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now