Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Breast pain, at 35 weeks?

(3 Posts)
nikkibrown Wed 26-Jan-05 18:17:10

I am 35 weeks pregnant and have been experiencing a very sore area in one breast. This is my second pregnancy and it reminds of the type of pain you get from a blocked duct/mastitis. Is this possible during pregnancy?Anyone any ideas as to whether I might need to see a doctor or whether it will just go away?

Tipex Wed 26-Jan-05 20:51:09

hi there nikkibrown. Is there any sign of redness or swelling on the breast? Abscesses/infections can occur at any time not just when feeding and as your breasts are already producing milk it may be slightly more common in pregnancy than when not pregnant. Certainly get it checked out asap if you feel unwell in yourself at all eg shivery. Failing that its probably worth getting it looked at tomorrow if you can get to your GP and its still playing you up. breast swelling and hormones will make boobs hurt but not usually so localised. Also cysts can be painful in one specific area. Not anything to worry about, just a nuisance. HTH.

nikkibrown Thu 27-Jan-05 22:15:49

Thanks Tipex. Your advice made me go to the docs. Turne out it is mastitis, and have been given antibiocs. Hopefully will clear up in time for me to start breastfeeding!Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now