Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pleural Effusion - anyone had experience of......

(16 Posts)
Monkey24 Tue 18-Mar-08 16:30:12

Hi

Just wanted to know if there was anyone out there who has had experience of a baby with Pleural Effusion (fluid on the lungs)?

We had our 20 week scan 2 weeks ago tomorrow and all was not well, so had to go and see Consultant to be told that our baby had fluid on the lungs, possibly a chromosome problem, viral infection or heart problem.

The last 2 weeks have been a nightmare of consistent scans, blood tests and an amnio where they inserted a needle into the baby to take some of the fluid from his lungs.

Fortunately, the baby's heart is fine, there are no chromosome issues and no viral infections, but the fluid came back. We are now possibly going to have a shunt put into the baby's chest cavity tomorrow to drain the fluid in order for the baby's lungs to develop. If we don't, he won't survive.

Sorry for doom and gloom when this should be such an enjoyable experience.

Has anyone had any experience of this or know of anyone who has?

icklegem Tue 18-Mar-08 17:18:20

The only experience I have is that my 1st baby had this but it was connected to a lethal chromosome problem.

Luckily your bubba doesn't have that so that's always a good sign, it means there are ways to help.

Hopefully someone will have an answer for you.

Really hope your lo is ok

xxxx

Monkey24 Tue 18-Mar-08 18:21:10

Thanks, icklegem...
x

NikNakF Wed 19-Mar-08 10:40:53

BUMP - thinking of you x

JODIEhavingababy Wed 19-Mar-08 11:53:01

Monkey24 Hope everything is OK. Been thinking of you...

Kaz1967 Thu 20-Mar-08 02:41:48

Can't really help did not come across anything quite like this when I worked in NICU all I can say is as they have ruled out the heart problems, chromosome, and viral infections things like shunts and surgery in utero are usually really successful.

You will be really really well followed up and hopefully all your worries will be allayed. I hope things went well today.

jellybeans Thu 20-Mar-08 22:47:19

Hi I am thinking of you too, my DD had this but did have a very severe chromosome disorder so they wouldn't do the shunts sadly (said it wouldn't help and would be lethal) I truly hope all is OK and have heard good things about treatment if there are no other problems. Take care xx

Monkey24 Tue 25-Mar-08 16:02:12

HI All

A little late, but just a thanks for messages.

We had a shunt inserted last Wednesday and have been back today to find out all is going as planned and fluid is draining away off the lung and the rest of the body. This is such a relief; the last two weeks have been hell!

x

lazyhippo Tue 25-Mar-08 18:09:19

Hi Monkey, I'd been wondering how you were and just seen this thread. That's wonderful news, I'm so pleased that the shunt went well, and that you've had a good scan result today. I can't imagine what the worry must have been like for you. You must have a little fighter in there! xx

RUMPEL Sun 30-Mar-08 15:19:07

Hi MONKEY24 - we were/are all thinking of you on the July thread. Hope everything is well. HUGSxx

Kaz1967 Sun 30-Mar-08 15:31:14

I know you will not stop worrying until this little one is born but that is really good news

WombFor1More Sun 30-Mar-08 17:05:35

Monkey, that's brilliant news grin

Hope all continues as smoothly for you and bubba.

(Ickle) Gem x

JODIEhavingababy Mon 31-Mar-08 09:10:17

Hi Monkey24

Just spotted this thread. You must be releived to know that things have started to get better... We are all thinking if you over in the Due in July Thread and people keep asking about you....

Jodie
x

Looseyloo411 Thu 18-Aug-16 20:50:41

8 years on so doubtful you are still around but I'm currently going through this xx

intheskywithgin Wed 24-Aug-16 21:40:34

I've just been through this and sadly had induced mc 4days ago. Devastated but hope all went well for you and yours sad

Looseyloo411 Sat 27-Aug-16 14:05:11

*Intheskywithgin
Thanks for replying, sorry to hear sadhow far along were you? I'm 24 weeks today and only one side has drained but it's too risky to re insert shunts so not sure what to do next

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now