Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

OMG Heartburn from hell - Advice please

(82 Posts)
rascal1979 Sat 15-Dec-07 11:10:19

OMG I thought I'd been suffering from heartburn but last night was horrendous! Felt like such a wimp but had to ring the MW it was so bad. Started about 7pm and lasted til gone 5am this morning - accompanied by throwing up.

It was so bad that I am now thinking there is no way I can go through labour it was sooooo bad eeekkkkblush

I was doing all the right things, sipped cooled boiled water, peppermint tea, milk and taking gaviscon but nothing was helping.... going to see my MW on Tuesday so will ask her for something stronger - any suggestions about what I can ask for/have?

Also I'm supposed to be going for a birthday meal tonight but it is Curry and not being served til 9.30pm....do you think I'd be safer to not go or am I being over cautious.... I wasn't keen on going so late anyway but now I'm terrified of a repeat of last night sad

rascal1979 Sat 15-Dec-07 12:06:15

Bump sad

JingleBelgoHoHoHo Sat 15-Dec-07 12:12:43

Are you vomiting a lot during your pregnancy? Excessive vomiting can cause little tears to the oesophagus, and combined with stomach acid, this can be incredibly painful. Certainly wouldn't recommend curry!

LiegeAndLief Sat 15-Dec-07 12:28:32

Is it definitely heartburn, ie is it actually burning in your throat or just a bad pain under your ribs? Just checking because I had epigastric pain with no other symptoms (although was also sick) which was actually pre-eclampsia but was misdiagnosed as indigestion for weeks.

If you are really suffering with heartburn you can be prescribed ranitidine in pregnancy. Might need a GP though rather than mw. Curry probably not a great idea...

Do hope it gets better, I was in a lot of pain with my "indigestion" so can really sympathise.

LiegeAndLief Sat 15-Dec-07 12:28:50

How pg are you?

rascal1979 Sat 15-Dec-07 12:34:24

I'm 31 weeks.
It was really just under my ribs.....not felt baby move this morning (been up for a coupl eof hours but I've been moving around on the phone etc...and she can be quiet at this time of the day) and my urne is quite dark....?signs of Pre-eclampsia - thought it might be cos not drank enough...

Bit worried now - do you think I should ring my mW..

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Sat 15-Dec-07 12:35:41

I wouldn't eat curry, anything spicy made my heartburn a million times worse, dry bread was good for it. I'm 24 weeks and mine is just starting so I sympathise!
LeigeandLeif, her profile says she is due in february.

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Sat 15-Dec-07 12:36:43

x-post!

goingfor3christmaspuddings Sat 15-Dec-07 12:37:15

Ring your midwife to give you peace of mind.

LiegeAndLief Sat 15-Dec-07 13:02:39

Ring your mw straight away and ask her to check your bp, urine (for protein) and take blood for liver function tests. The pain under your ribs can be a sign of liver damage (can be caused by pre-eclampsia or HELLP syndrome) and this can lead to dark urine (mine went very dark) and/or pale stools.

Of course it is probably indigestion and not drinking enough! But please please get it checked out, PE can come on very suddenly and should be carefully monitored. If your bp and urine are fine ask the mw to take blood anyway as it is possible to have liver damage with no other symptoms. Do hope I haven't panicked you but I really think it's better to get it checked out. Hope all is fine.

LiegeAndLief Sat 15-Dec-07 13:05:31

By the way, despite being misdiagnosed for 2 weeks my gorgeous toddler and I are both absolutely fine - so even if it is PE don't panic!

rascal1979 Sat 15-Dec-07 13:13:28

Rung MW triage and spoken to the Dr I am under - he answered the phone!
He said more than likely all fine but has said to come down and he can check me over and make sure all okay. So I'm off to get checked out - Feel a little silly as though I'm overreacting BUT would rather feel silly than have anything happen to the baby ...

rascal1979 Sat 15-Dec-07 13:14:57

Thanks LeigeAndLief
All this isn't helped by the fact that my DH isn't around today or last night!

Will update when I'm back from hospital

dingdongbelgianbunsonhigh Sat 15-Dec-07 13:21:20

Hope you feel better soon - I found sippng ice cold milk helped! Each to their own!!! Good luck with pg. bb xx

LiegeAndLief Sat 15-Dec-07 13:23:15

Don't feel silly - it's always better to be sure! What a shame your dh isn't around. Hope all is well, let us know how you get on.

GoodGollyMissMolly Sat 15-Dec-07 13:30:52

Try peppermint cordial, boil some water and put some, not a lot in to a cup and fill with the boiled water. Leave it to cool and sip when needed, it worked a treat for me and I had horrendous heartburn when I was PG.

shinyshoes Sat 15-Dec-07 15:02:31

I have had terrific heartburn too, as long as all you have is heartburn Gaviscon worked for me. When I had it to the point it was painful and I couldnt breathe I asked the MW for Zantac, she said I can take but I needed to see the doc first, otherwise she could leave me a prescrption for Gaviscon, I said I'd give it a try, and so far it has worked and didnt need the doc for Zantac, although Boots said I couldn't take it if pregnant hmm. If its that bad, I'd cut out the MW and go see your G.P.

JingleBelgoHoHoHo Sun 16-Dec-07 06:07:00

hope you've had a better night, Rascal.

LiegeAndLief Sun 16-Dec-07 12:23:45

How did you get on Rascal?

jojosmaman Tue 18-Dec-07 19:52:58

Hi all! This is a message for all you amazing ladies (sep LandL!) who replied to this post from rascal. Rascal is in my cousin in law and on sat she got herself down to the hosp to be checked out and was immediately given an emergency section due to pre-eclampsia. She has given birth to a precious baby girl, just 2lb 1oz but who seems to be a little fighter already breathing on her own! Mum is also doing well all things considering but I dread to think what would have happened if she had not posted on here, tried to put it to the back of her mind. I am sure she will be here to thank you as soon as she is home

Rascal- I hope you don't mind me posting but I noticed you had been asked about and thought that people might be worried! Love ya!

This only reminds you what mumsnet is for doesn't it??!
x

LiegeAndLief Wed 19-Dec-07 13:16:57

Thanks so much for posting, I didn't want to sound too dramatic on here in case it was nothing but I was actually very worried about her as it sounded exactly like the pain I had. I was very lucky that I had an "episode" which resolved itself slightly before I was admitted, otherwise things could have been much worse, so I always look for posts about rib pain/heartburn on here. It is often misdiagnosed.

Many congratulations to rascal and I hope her little girl is doing well and is home soon. Brilliant that she is breathing on her own already. I'm so so glad she went to hospital!!

Ledodgy Wed 19-Dec-07 13:24:19

Bloody hell! Thank God for mn eh? Congratualtions Rascal I hope you and your baby are doing well. smile

VVVExcitedAboutChristmasQV Wed 19-Dec-07 13:29:46

oh how lovely smile

congratulations!

Mincepiedermama Wed 19-Dec-07 13:31:49

Best wishes rascal.

Well done thread.

Magrat Wed 19-Dec-07 13:34:51

oh many congratulations grin

AbbyMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 19-Dec-07 13:35:03

Just seen this and now have hairs standing up on my neck at the thought of what might have been. You lot are just wonderful (most of the time )

katierocket Wed 19-Dec-07 13:35:10

wow, what a great result. Congrats rascal. Best wishes to you all.

edam Wed 19-Dec-07 13:35:39

Thank heavens! Congratulations to Rascal - and very best wishes for dd.

jangly Wed 19-Dec-07 13:37:12

Wow! Well done LeigeandLeif!

coppertop Wed 19-Dec-07 13:38:42

Wow! Congratulations to Rascal.

Well done to those of you who gave her such good advice too. smile

AbbyMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 19-Dec-07 13:40:37

Oh yes, and congratulations to Rascall!

jangly Wed 19-Dec-07 13:42:18

Mumsnet - Can't you get this story in the Times?

MellowChristmasEveryone Wed 19-Dec-07 13:42:37

smile

<starts bubbling again>

<must log-off>

camillathechicken Wed 19-Dec-07 13:49:56

congratulations to rascal and her family

and well done to liegeandlief for pointing out the signs of HELLP and PE

literally life saving advice here

mumsnet rules, rocks and kicks ass !!

grin

OMG, LiegeandLief you are a hero, and saving lives I reckon.
Good luck to rascal and the baby

LiegeAndLief Wed 19-Dec-07 13:56:33

blush

Am sitting at my desk at work trying not to cry!

WOW just seen this rascal hope you and your gorgeous little girl are doing well, and that your DH made it back in time too x

Three Cheers for MN and all who helped Rascal! wink

rascal1979 Fri 21-Dec-07 21:18:36

Hello everyone

Firstly a MASSIVE thank you to LeigeandLeif - to whom I quite literally owe not only my life but that of my new baby girl! and thanks to everyone else for their kind messages!

To briefly fill you all in after my last post on Saturday I rang DH and told him I was nipping to hospital to get checked over and then drove myself to hospital and was seen in MW triage at about 2pm where my blood pressure was found to be 170/112. MW immediately transferred me to CDU at which point I wasn't that concerned - didn't realise fully the implications and quite frankly felt a little silly when they insisted that I wasn't allowed to walk the 20 paces or so to CDU.....little did I know!

They got me onto a monitor to check my BP and Baby and took a urine sampple which showed 5+ of protein, they then started to get a little more panicky!. Still not really taking in what was going on I was a bit taken a back when they told me I was being admitted and that I should phone my husband. I phoned DH and told him to come to hopsital as I was being admitted as they thought I may have pre-eclammpsia.

I was catheterised and monitored by an increasing number of Dr's and Nurses - Cons Obstetrician, SPR, Paediatrician, Anethetist.....at which point I was starting to realise that things weren't going to well hmm.

They said I had pre-eclampsia and would need to get my BP under control and more than likely deliver baby within 3 days or so......

I was given drungs to bring my blood pressure down but nothing seemed to work. I was then put on a drip and also put on magnesium sulphate (?) as my Liver function tests showed that my liver wasn't working.

They did various tests and realised that my kidney's were also struggling and my platlets were going drastically low. At this point they explained that I would need to have a C-Section asap but that they needed to stabilse me first. By this point I was vomitting and each time I did so Baby's heart rate dipped so they had me lying on my left side just trying to keep me and baby going whilst they got my blood pressure down. At this point I was kind of loosing all sense of what was going on but was aware on them saying that an incubator was ready and then as my BP was just about stable I was whisked off to theatre where I had to be tilted on the bed as they put me under to keep baby's heart going.

I was put under at 8.40pm and baby was born at 8.53pm. Needed ventiliation immediately after but was off completely withing a few hours and is has been breathing completely on her own since then.

She is going from strength to strength and her feeds are gradually increasing every 12 hrs.

She is a tiny thing only 2lb 0.5oz at the moment as she has lost a bit of weight. Although I was 30+6 she is the size of a 27 week gestation. However is 31 wks maturity wise. I get to have a cuddle each day skin to skin and she has already got a personality - seems to be taking after me - always hungry!

It would appear that I had severe Pre-eclampsia/HELLP and that every thing that could happen with Pre-eclampsia did!

However after a rocky and emotional few days, thanks to amazing care at St Mary's Manchester I was discharged today and feeling much better despite still having high BP. It is horrible leaving her behind but I feel so much better being out of hospital and I will be going to see her everyday.

THANKS SOOOOOOOO MUCH to LeigeandLeif once again I am so glad that I posted on here otherwise as jojosmaman said I dread to think what might have happened.

MN is the best and as one of you said this should get a mention somewhere in the media because I feel that without MN my story could have had a very different ending.

lulalullabye Fri 21-Dec-07 21:25:04

Ahhh, well done and a fantastic ending to a scary time. Congrats.

LOONEYplayingachristmasTUNEy Sat 22-Dec-07 12:38:58

I read this last night and just burst into tears in shock of what could have happened. This is one of the many reasons I love Mumsnet so much. My sister had an emergency op for EP after something I'd told her thanks to reading it on Mumsnet, again could have been a different story.

Rascal - I'm soooooo pleased you and baby are ok, have you got any pics you can put on your profile?

LiegeAndLief - it's amazing what your info did, literally saved 2 lives!!! And I've seen your other thread and think it's a great idea.

LT xx

pinkteddy Sat 22-Dec-07 12:47:04

Wow - well done all - I feel quite tearful reading this. Congrats to rascal too! smile

bubblegumcheeks Sat 22-Dec-07 18:54:14

Hi I am due 8 Jan with regards to heartburn remedies my midwife said to try yoghurt, milk, Ice cream or tonic water (never tried the tonic water cause I dont like the taste but the rest did help

lulumama Sat 22-Dec-07 19:02:31

what a story... this sort of thing is just priceless.... you and your baby saved my a stranger! amazing , so glad you are all doing well

i was born prem at St marys ( a long time ago! ), as were my brother and most of my cousins... it had a fantastic reputation then and now, it is a marvellous hospital

just so glad you are ok, could have been such a different outcome

i think it is also worthwhile reading for all those women who don;t want to bother their midwife with something they think is minor or just part of pregnancy..... bother your MW .!! far better to be safe than sorry.....

a wonderful happy ending..

enjoy your first family christmas x

AmeliaMum Sun 23-Dec-07 13:33:03

Rascal - congratulations on your baby!

I didn't know what LandL told you when it happened to me and my baby did not survive and neither did I nearly.

I see you are in the Manchester area, perhaps when you are feeling up to it you could give the M.E.N. a ring to see if they would do a story on this Christmas miracle. Mumsnet is so great it should get wider coverage. Ask to speak to Lisa Roland or Sarah Lester on the newsdesk. More people should be made aware of this v scary illness.

Hope you have a wonderful time with your little girl

rascal1979 Sun 23-Dec-07 21:44:40

Hiya all
Sorry did intend to post some pics yesterday but bllood pressure shot up and was readmitted!. All well now so back home and pics duly posted on my profile x

madamez Sun 23-Dec-07 21:49:05

COngratulations rascal ande welldone L&L!

VVVExcitedAboutChristmasQV Sun 23-Dec-07 22:04:17

Glad to hear you are up and about.

I never knew about epigastric pain and associated dark urine.

I've had mild pre-eclampsia in my last pg too!

I certainly think it could do with some media highlighting.

LOONEYplayingachristmasTUNEy Sun 23-Dec-07 22:23:06

Oh Rascal, glad you're ok now but do take care of yourself won't you!! And thanks for putting pics up, soooo cute smile xx

rascal1979 Sun 23-Dec-07 22:24:51

I've emailed MEN to see if they are interested in the story to highlight MN and pre-eclampsia.

lulumama Sun 23-Dec-07 22:25:07

god bless that tiny little baby smile so glad all is well, may you both continue to recover and thrive

Congratulations Rascal again, and to your little girl.I'm glad she is doing well.
I have never heard anything like it, things could have gone so differently, this is such a wonderful christmas story and again LiegandLiefe well done.
Lots of tears in my eyes.

FlllightAttendant Mon 24-Dec-07 13:54:32

Am crying again after catching up with this thread for the second time.

It was so lucky, there is one very tiny very beautiful girl who might not have been here but for some sharing of advice.
Thank God for what happened.

Rascal, I am glad you both made it through the ordeal. Thoughts are with you this Christmas smile

CapaciousArse Thu 14-Jan-10 08:57:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

god, that was too close to comfort - hats off to LiegeandLiefe (Fairport Convention fan..?!) your vigilance really saved the day.

Rascal - for those of us latecomers - what's the latest? How are you and your LO doing?

pixiestix Thu 14-Jan-10 14:10:14

Just seen this and am sitting here crying my eyes out.
LandL you are a hero.

LiegeAndLief Thu 14-Jan-10 21:59:19

Got a lump in my throat when I saw this thread had been bumped!

Yes indeed a Fairport fan smile

Rascal's dd is doing brilliantly and looks gorgeous in the photos I've seen... will see if I can direct her to this thread if she hasn't seen it so she can update you!

Rascal1979 Thu 14-Jan-10 22:43:13

I've just had a FB message from LandL saying that this thread has been bumped and an update had been requested grin so here goes, in brief!

DD spent an incredibly difficult 9 weeks and 1 day on NICU. Initially she was at St Mary's Manchester but on Xmas day 2007 at just 10 days old and weighing a tiny 943g she was transferred to our local hospital.

The following weeks were extremely difficult emotionally but I made some amazing friends - one of whom I have set up a prem baby support group with for our local hospital - and we were all support to each other during our time on NICU.

Although she wasn't 'poorly' she was very small and gained weight slowly. As a result struggled to breastfeed but eventually we got there smile and she is now a healthy, bright, feisty (still breastfed grin) 2 year old.

DD was discharged and came home on 17th Feb 07 (her due date) weighing a mighty 4lb 4oz grin

She is completely 'normal' developmentally and although small for her age (was approx 9lb at 6 mths old, 13lb at 12 mths and 20lb at 2yrs) she is starting to show catch up growth in both her height and weight and was discharged from paediatric follow up just before her second birthday.

When I look at her now it is so difficult to believe she was ever so tiny and helpless.

I can't ever thank LandL enough for her her post. Which quite literally saved our lives. had she not posted I would have gone back to bed. I will always be eternally grateful to her.

I shall put some pics of DD on my profile for you to have a peek at [shameless showing off of gorgeous baby girl emoticon]

Rascal I didnt see the first thread but have just read through, this is mumsnet at its best, am so happy that it all worked out for you, your dd is really beautiful

purplehat Fri 15-Jan-10 00:02:51

I have just sobbed through this entire thread.
So glad that your daughter is doing so well

Rindercella Fri 15-Jan-10 00:19:34

Oh my, I am in tears reading this thread. I only clicked on it as I am 30 wks pg and up with bloody awful heartburn, so was looking for some tips! (and it truly is only heartburn I have).

What an amazing story, with amazing MNers and an amazing outcome grin

You have a beautiful DD Rascal.

LiegeAndLief Fri 15-Jan-10 09:06:50

Rascal, having read your first post again, I felt I had to tell you that you were not being a wimp wink - now that I have been in labour - the epigastric pain that I had with ds was actually worse!

Ah, thanks hugely for the update! Wonderful to hear everyone's doing so well.

Really heartwarming(!) end to a dramatic story.

Has anyone nominated this to be included in one of the "threads of the decade" yet? If not, it really should be.

Rascal1979 Fri 15-Jan-10 18:37:46

Lol thanks L and L grin maybe I'll consider doing it again at some point!

InmaculadaConcepcion - it has been mentioned on the story of the decade thread. I too think it should be nominated

FabIsGoingToBeFabIn2010 Fri 15-Jan-10 20:16:02

L&L - thank you. Just for being around.

Rascal - great news.

WhineMaiden Fri 15-Jan-10 20:52:57

Tears all round but a fab thread, glad all is well Rascal, ty for the update. L&L you rock grin

differentnameforthis Sat 16-Jan-10 07:44:32

Rascal, she is adorable! So pleased you are both doing well!

I suggested this thread on the decade thread, as it it true MN!

Rascal1979 Sat 16-Jan-10 19:37:42

Thanks differentnameforthis

WorzselMummage Mon 18-Jan-10 05:46:50

Oh wow this has made me cry !

Brilliant post

LittleMissNorty Mon 18-Jan-10 12:03:44

Awwww lovely smile

Rascal1979 Mon 18-Jan-10 19:49:59

Worzelmummage - you're not the only one it seems to be making a few people cry - me included!

Reading even two years on still sends a shiver down my spine. I really would have simply gone back to bed had L&L not told me to get checked out sad

Amapoleon Tue 02-Mar-10 20:22:13

Wow! What a fantastic thread!

xxkt1xx Tue 02-Mar-10 21:41:22

wow...what a thread xxx one more question?? what is the little miracles name

Rascal1979 Sun 07-Nov-10 22:17:28

Just been reading back over this thread and as always has brought a tear to my eye! and thought it was worth a bump to make people aware of PE and HELLP x

Just to update DD is almost 3 and still doing really well after her dramatic entrance into the world! Getting more feisty by the day!

DD is called Amelie - late reply sorry!!!

Julezboo Sun 07-Nov-10 22:38:21

Lovely thread DS1 was born at 31 weeks in similar circumstances. I had severe pre-eclampsia which developed into eclampsia the day he was born and I was very poorly!

Your DD is gorgeous! I went on to have another boy at 38 weeks with no signs of PE and I am no pregnant again and being checked weekly

TooImmature2BMum Mon 08-Nov-10 13:53:02

Trying not to cry at work reading this - it's so sweet! I love a happy ending...and I had no idea heartburn could be a sign of pre-eclampsia, so I've learned something (a slightly scary something as I have heartburn right now, but at least I know what to look for).

Thumbwitch Wed 19-Jun-13 01:21:21

Now you've linked to it, even more years down the line, I think it's worth a bump as well, just in case anyone else is suffering similar! How terrifying to think what a close call you had, and how fantastic that LandL was online at the right time, and you listened.

Hairs standing up all over me just reading this.

So glad that all turned out well (Have you done it again since?)

rascal1979 Thu 20-Jun-13 22:03:06

Thanks Thumbwitch. It still scares me now to think what might have happened. LandL rocks!

DD is now 5 and doing fine healthwise and at school, just finishing Reception - going far too fast!

Not had any more yet but would love another in the not too distant future

MildredIsMyAlterEgo Thu 20-Jun-13 22:13:27

Wow this is a truly amazing thread - well done to LandL and to you for acting on it.

Your DD is gorgeous btw.

DaleyBump Sat 07-Sep-13 00:37:26

This was linked in another thread and I think it deserves a bump. Amazing.

TartanRug Sat 07-Sep-13 03:32:39

Can't sleep and have just sobbed my way through this thread. Amazing. smile

rascal1979 Wed 16-Oct-13 00:10:19

Thanks mildred Just posted a link on another thread to this and came on for a read. It still sends a shiver down my spine when I read and realise how close we both came to it being such a different outcome

rascal1979 Sun 17-Nov-13 11:56:29

Seems an appropriate time to share this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_m1v1UhDO4
Me and my girl are the 3rd ones in for this amazing Bliss Charity video for World Prematurity Day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now