Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

1/5 palpable please help?

(11 Posts)
sarahrose Fri 07-Sep-07 13:35:03

I am preganant with my second baby. My due date is tomorrow but my bump still appears quiet high and i have not had a visible show. I went to see my midwife today who said i have a high blood pressure 124/89 and white blood cells in my urine. i have swelling in my hands and they feel really tight if i try to close them. the midwife said that the baby is 1/5 palpable and i am confused if this is a good or bad thing. the midwife said that i should go to the hospital if i feel strange but i seem to feel strange all the time so i am confused. can anybody help please?

littleonekel Fri 07-Sep-07 13:42:51

Hi I'm 38+1 and 1/5 palpable, with tight hands, but i've had that for a while now. my BP is ok and urine sample fine too. what does she mean if you feel strange?? i've felt strange for 9 months! I would ring the maternity ward and ask advice from a midwife there. Does 1/5 palpable mean that it will all happen very soon? this is my first baby and i'm a little impatient! can anyone help?

meandmy Fri 07-Sep-07 13:43:38

if your bp high she just trying to keep you and your baby safe by advising you to go to ospital if you feel unwell, and 1/5 just means babys head not engaged yet still floating a bit as mw explained to me when i was pg, try relax and good luck

lulumama Fri 07-Sep-07 13:44:50

with high BP, swelling , tingling and protein in your wee, i;d be going to labour ward and getting checked out again...

how do you mean you are feeling strange?

have you had any bad headaches, visual disturbances?

sarahrose Fri 07-Sep-07 13:49:25

on 2 occasions i have had little white shiny specs in front of my eyes over the past two weeks when I have stood up. I know it sounds funny and hard to explain. they dont last long so have not really paid any attention to them. i was 4/5s last week and head was just in the pelvis now i feel like i have a bowling ball. my 1st was early born at 36 weeks so this is a whole new experfience for me.

VictorVictoria Fri 07-Sep-07 13:52:36

I had very similar issues with my DS. Was examined by my consultant who told me that I was developing signs of preeclampsia and that she needed to get the baby out . When she examined me, she concluded that if she induced me, I would probably have a long labour with an emergency c-section at the end of it as DS was so unready to come out. so she advised a c-section straight away which I had the next day. always been grateful for the advice as there was a girl in the next door bed to me who had had 40 hr labour followed by c-section and she was in bits.

lulumama Fri 07-Sep-07 13:52:50

i really feel that you need to be checked out again, what you are describing might be pre eclampsia. it is really important that it is diagnosed or ruled out, if not, it can be dangerous. Please call labour ward , tell them you have high BP, swelling, protein and you feel ill and are concerned... at the very least you should be taken in and monitored

papilion Fri 07-Sep-07 14:23:07

Hi sarahrose

Sorry you're feeling anxious, hopefully you can be reassured by all the good advice on here.

Blood pressure .. what was yours at booking clinic, is the lower(diastolic)reading much higher now or just a little?

Floaters (a bit like shiny tadpoles) in the eyes when standing up, moving quickly is not uncommon and also happens to folks who aren't pregnant

White blood cells in the urine is not protein

Swelling of the hands and feet is very common in the latter part of pregnancy. Is there any swelling of your face or abdomen?

Baby's head 1/5th palpable is a very good sign, means baby is well down and preparing for labour (2nd babies sometimes don't engage until mum is in labour.

Sensible advice from your midwife to go to hospital if you are feeling strange.

Perhaps you could ring the delivery suite and have a chat with a midwife who will hopefully allay your fears and I am sure if you ask if you can go in for reassurance they will be more than happy to see you.

Is it a long journey to the hospital?

Hope that helps

sarahrose Sat 08-Sep-07 10:00:54

thank you for all of the advice i went to the hospitall yesterday and they said pretty much the same thing as papilion

lulumama Sat 08-Sep-07 10:03:53

excellent..glad you are ok! hope baby comes sooner rather than later x

papilion Sat 08-Sep-07 10:31:35

Pleased you got the reassurance that everything is OK.

Wishing you well for a safe delivery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now