Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do you need to drink before 12 week scan

(20 Posts)
Myusername2015 Mon 28-Nov-16 16:08:03

Hi; 12 week scan in the morning (so incredibly nervous) just looking through the appointment letter and it doesn't say anything about a full bladder...anyone know if it's something I need to do? Thanks in advance

Oysterbabe Mon 28-Nov-16 16:13:00

It seems to vary. Mine did need a full bladder but not uncomfortably so, they just said not to wee for at least an hour before.

ColdTeaAgain Mon 28-Nov-16 16:13:12

Yes you need to have a full bladder but don't drink so much that you are really uncomfortable! Large glass of water about an hour before is fine.

Evergreen17 Mon 28-Nov-16 17:27:18

Not for my hospital. Not all hospitals require a full bladder. Didnt you get a letter with instructions?or call and ask

BreatheDeep Mon 28-Nov-16 17:40:46

Didn't need it for mine

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 28-Nov-16 17:41:38

Didn't for mine 15 years ago.

raviolidreaming Mon 28-Nov-16 17:44:21

I was just told not to wee once I got there, but I didn't need a full bladder or to drink a specific amount.

TheMasterMurderedMargarita Mon 28-Nov-16 17:46:42

I did before mine this year. I'm sure it was 500ml liquid but no caffeine or fizzy juice/water and an hour prior to the appointment.
I was bursting by the time of the scan and she made me wee as my bladder was too full to get a good look.
Same thing at the 20 week scan..
Good luck, hope it all goes well.

babyblabber Mon 28-Nov-16 18:19:11

I'm on my 6th pregnancy and you defo don't need a full bladder at 12 weeks. An early scan at 8 weeks you do but by 12 you're fine without.

PippaRose Mon 28-Nov-16 18:54:21

I had to for 12 week but not for 20, seems to vary by area

hatsandbagsandshoes Mon 28-Nov-16 18:59:19

I got told off for having a full bladder and sent off for a wee. Don't do it if they don't tell you to.

BeccaSays Mon 28-Nov-16 19:00:55

I was told to come with a full bladder, drank loads but baby was in wrong position and wouldn't budge so I was sent off to drink more! Mainly though, the lady told me it's easier to get a clear picture if you have the darkness of a full bladder behind....

catx1606 Mon 28-Nov-16 20:53:15

My letter at 12 weeks said to drink a pint and a half an hour before. God I was uncomfortable and they let me have a little wee before hand

halfbuffy Mon 28-Nov-16 20:58:11

Best of luck at your scan! I had mine last week smile

I did drink before I went, I hadn't read the letter properly and it said to drink a pint, but I was so panicked about wanting to see the baby that I drank 3...needless to say I was quite uncomfortable during the scan and ours went on for a while because we had a trainee sonographer and then a qualified one checking over what she had done...

So one pint should be fine, and if you need to drink more just make sure you take a water bottle just in case smile

NerrSnerr Mon 28-Nov-16 21:09:01

At our hospital they ask you to have a full bladder for your 12 and 20 week scan

Nottalotta Mon 28-Nov-16 21:09:54

My letter said to drink as much as I could. It didn't really mean it. Lots of 'oh your bladder is very full! ' comments. I was sent for a wee. Twice.

Myusername2015 Mon 28-Nov-16 21:23:46

Thank you all flowers strangely my letter didn't mention anything but will have a pint to make sure. (Of water!) roll on tomorrow

jadeyty Mon 28-Nov-16 21:32:56

I was told to drink 2 pints. If I didn't want to be uncomfortable during the scan so only drank 1. Scan just took a little longer

champagneplanet Mon 28-Nov-16 21:50:39

I had one two weeks ago. I had a cuppa, a bottle of water on the way and then another in the waiting room (I was thirsty!). I got sent out to half empty my bladder (that's not as easy as it sounds!) I agree with PP that a bottle of water is plenty.

sycamore54321 Tue 29-Nov-16 03:27:25

It's a lot easier and quicker to void your bladder rather than wait to fill so if it doesn't specify, I'd go aiming to have a full-ish bladder and ask on arrival. Depending on your own personal habits, maybe an extra 500-750mls of water one hour before appointment time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now