Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone had serious lumbar problems in pregnancy

(5 Posts)
sksk Mon 28-Nov-16 11:31:59

So, having spent time admitted in hospital, on morphine, in crutches, an MRI has confirmed I have a bulging disc at L5S1, the disc causing impingement of the S1 nerve root, explaining the pain. So it is not PGP or SI joint issues. I'm only 21+5 and am dreading the prospect of crutches forever or at least for the next 18 weeks and being unable to go to work or do anything st home. Thankfully there is no herniation of the disc but nonetheless I am in pain and am limited.
Just wondering if anyone else has had this and did it resolve postpartum/become significantly worse as pregnancy progressed? Did physio help?

Many thanks.

sksk Mon 28-Nov-16 17:51:50

Bumping.

Jodie1982 Tue 29-Nov-16 08:54:01

Yes me 😣 I suffer from Degenerative Disc Disease. L3, L4 and L5 are all bulging. Am in agony everyday. On crutches. Barely leave the house lately. But my Orthopaedic Consultant told me yesterday they really cannot do anything for me till baby is here, can only take Co-codamol which barely touch it, was on Gabapentin, Naproxen, and Amitryptiline before falling pregnant. Been told to grin n bare it for now, had to get a letter of consent from consultant for an Epidural if needed as well yesterday.
It really is hard. Have you got pain relief?

sksk Tue 29-Nov-16 14:10:08

Hi, I'm so sorry you're in so much pain. I was admitted to hospital for a few days and had oramorph and tramadol. I've been discharged with tramadol and paracetamol and will see the physio tomorrow. It's awful but you seem to be worse off. Do you find physio etc helps? I also see a chiropractor that does acupuncture. I really would like to be able to go back to work and do some things at home to prepare for baby's arrival.

woundedbutwalking Fri 02-Dec-16 22:41:27

How are you feeling now? Hopefully a bit better. Spk to midwife about using a tens machine & a heat pad will help. Did they talk to you about red flag symptoms? If you start to have any numbness between your legs or problems going to the toilet you need to go to A&E & get an MRI to make sure your disc isn't damaging your nerves. Take good care of yourself xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now