Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

22 weeks pregnant and urine infection

(11 Posts)
Spingroll16 Mon 28-Nov-16 09:57:48

Hi all

Wondering if anyone has been through similar? I went to the doctors on Friday and got given antibiotics, twice a day. Started these on Friday, but for some reason today I have appeared to feel worse. I've been in work since 9am, and have already been to the toilet 4 times. Each time, it is a tiny droplet/trickle. I am so uncomfortable, it is really hurting.

Why would I feel worse on day 4 of antibiotics, doctor said if I don't feel better ring my midwife. But what would she be able to do ?

Thank you

Dixiechick17 Mon 28-Nov-16 10:23:31

Definitely ring the docs, it sounds like the antibiotics are not working, or it could be the babies position, either way best to et checked out again. I had quite a lot of UTI's during pregnancy, not nice at all. Hope you're feeling better soon

JOMH1982 Mon 28-Nov-16 10:28:40

I agree, speak with the drs, it should be getting better already after a few days of treatment. I'm nearly 16 weeks pregnant and came down with a uti on Saturday and I'm feeling better already after two days, so definitely best to err on the side of caution.They really do hurt, don't they, so hope you feel better soon! Xx

eurochick Mon 28-Nov-16 10:35:23

Speak to the doctor again asap. Utis in pregnancy can be very dangerous.

Rulerruler Mon 28-Nov-16 10:40:32

It's possible the infection is resistant to the antibiotics - call the GP and explain you're getting worse - they may give you a new prescription for a different antibiotic. Hope you feel better soon - UTIs are the work of the devil!

Spingroll16 Mon 28-Nov-16 10:41:00

Thank you, rang midwife who said i'll need another antibiotic, and that it sounded like I was being fobbed off when the GP told me to ring the midwife as she can't do anything.

Trying to get through to the doctors, to make an appointment but not had any luck yet.

Trying to do a sample will be fun, when I can only manage a trickle!!

JOMH1982 Mon 28-Nov-16 10:52:10

Bless you, it's just awful, isn't it. I don't think they need a lot, just see what you can do and get it dropped in when you can. I was on one antibiotic after having a cervical stitch in Thursday, and developed this on Saturday, so just needed a different one to treat it. Can you turn up at the drs for an urgent appointment maybe? Xx

Spingroll16 Mon 28-Nov-16 11:12:43

I've managed to get through, and a doctor will ring me with a same day appointment. Think I'm going to go home and try and get more comfortable there until I get a call with an appointment.

I didn't think too much of it originally, because I thought oh its normal to need a wee more in pregnancy! Now I feel a bit silly! sad

Becciilouisex3 Mon 28-Nov-16 12:21:54

I sympathise! Suffered with them constantly before pregnancy and some during! I've experienced this and it's likely the antibiotics you have aren't working. I believe there are 2 types of antibiotics safe to take during pregnancy so hopefully they switch you to the others and they work.

In the meantime, pop to Superdrug and pick up so cystocalm. There is a warning on the back not to take them when pregnant but I asked my midwife and consultant and both told me that they were fine. Feel free to double check with yours too. They're powders you put in water. Taste minging but they really really gave me relief whilst waiting for antibiotics. I know how horrendous the discomfort is and I tried all sorts of sachets but none worked apart from those (and they're really cheap so very surprising!) they're a genuine life saver.

Good luck z

Spingroll16 Wed 30-Nov-16 09:35:58

Hi all,

Went back to the doctors Monday afternoon, they tested my urine and said it was clear of infection. My doctor was a bit useless though, the said it will be cystitis, and go to the pharmacy to get the sachets, although I'd have to check if I was allowed them or not.

Turns out, I'm not. The pharmacist wouldn't sell them too me. I read online that cranberry juice helps reduce the acidity in your wee, which is what makes you go so often. So I'm drinking lots of cranberry juice in the hope I feel better soon!!

Becciilouisex3 Thu 01-Dec-16 00:21:31

Oh dear!

There's no real scientific evidence that cranberry juice works and if so it does only prevent them, it won't aid in getting rid of cystitis if you already have it.

If the doctor believes it is cystitis, he should prescribe you antibiotics. It is extremely dangerous to leave it, pregnant or not it can cause serious health issues but even more so if you are pregnant!

There are sachets you can take definitely because my midwife advised me. They do say on the packet not to take if pregnant but it's basically to cover their own arses in the unlikely event, a pregnant woman has a reaction to them but my consultant checked the box I showed to her before I took any, consulted her medical dictionary and told me they were absolutely fine to take. I used them 4 times during pregnancy and neither me nor DS suffered any adverse effects.

It's just like canestan for thrush. The pharmacists won't sell it to you, you need it to be prescribed. Untreated UTI's can result in kidney infections/stones and pre-term labour so you really need to fight for some treatment if your doctor believes it's cystitis! And you'll be so very uncomfortable if it's left untreated!

Good luck OPflowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now