Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

25 weeks measuring 34. Polyhydramnios. Parvovirus.

(11 Posts)
smEGGnogg Tue 22-Nov-16 15:08:56

The midwife measured me last week because I'm looking on the large side. I measured 33 weeks. She wanted to re measure me this week so I attended today and measured 34 weeks. I'm actually 25+4.

She sent me straight to the hospital for a scan querying polyhydramnios. Amniotic fluid measured .6 more than it should be. She said the cut off was 24 and mine is 24.6 but she also said at such a small amount it's nothing to worry about. It could just be that my baby hadn't had breakfast yet. The baby's weight was estimated at 1lb 8oz. All his organs are normal.

Then I had a blood test. I asked the phlebotomist what for and she said I'd have to ask. I didn't get to see a doctor, I was given my notes and told to go so I text my community midwife instead. She said they're testing for Parvovirus.

That's slapped cheek, isn't it?

Would I really not know if I'd had slapped cheek? I haven't been unwell, no rashes or anything. None of the dc have been poorly either. I've been googling too (which has scared me to death sad)

monkeyfacegrace Tue 22-Nov-16 15:11:06

I gave birth at 37 weeks while measuring 50 odd grin
Good old polyhydramnios.

There is a slight risk of waters breaking and causing a cord prolapse, but it didn't cause me any other problems other than being huge.

Try not to worry.

smEGGnogg Tue 22-Nov-16 15:21:22

Thank you. I'm really trying not to but when she started talking about it, the community midwife really unnerved me throwing around all sorts of 'what it could be' and 'this is the horrendous thing that could happen to you/your baby'! Then at the hospital, they gave me no answers whatsoever!

Oh dear me, I need a lie down and a cold flannel!

gamerchick Tue 22-Nov-16 15:26:46

I had it with my last pregnancy, it was unexplained despite all sorts of tests and scans.

I was miserable though and begged to be induced on my due date. Irritable uterus and none stop braxton Hicks in the third trimester.

If your waters break then you need to get to hospital asap in case of prolapse and if they break your waters, one of those pampers pads is not enough to soak it up.

I agree try not to worry, sometimes it just happens.

Nikki2ol6 Tue 22-Nov-16 16:16:48

Hello!!! I had slapped cheek when I was 16wks pregnant and I had no idea I had it but what happened was I was baby sitting a poorly child so my friend could go to work for the day and later that week she rang me and said it's slapped cheek you need to get checked out so I rang my midwife I said I have been in contact with slapped cheek so I went in the next day for a blood test to see if I was immune she said 95% of people are and not to worry..... I was one of the 5% that wasn't immune!!! So next she says I need blood tests once every 4 weeks to see if I catch it. So this was at 13 weeks and my next midwife app was 16weeks so she said she would just do the blood draw now.... I get a call the next day saying I have an emergency app at fetal medicine the next day because I have slapped cheek!!! I didn't feel unwell at all so I thought it was a mistake! So she said don't worry your baby is highly Unlikely to catch it but my scan showed he did have it and was suffering from fetal anemia and there was a high chance I'd miscarry. They wanted to do an in utero blood transfusion but with me being only 16wks the veins were very small still. I was scanned every other day and he began to recover on his own. I was wanrned about fetal hydrops and scanned for this but thankfully he did not get it and I carried to 38wks when he stopped moving and I was induced he's now a happy healthy 3 year old

smEGGnogg Tue 22-Nov-16 16:18:46

Thanks both. I do feel better knowing that it can be for no reason. And I'll take your advice about waters breaking and cord prolapse on board. I'm already on the radar for monitoring because I had a large for gestational age baby last time and am due to have a gtt next week.

Hopefully everything returns normal.

KatamariDamacy Tue 22-Nov-16 16:27:19

Polyhydramnios can also be a symptom of gestational diabetes. I had it (polyhydramnios, not GD) and was induced at 39 weeks on my request as I was very concerned about a prolapsed cord due to my waters breaking pre-labour with both my previous children, and a badly positioned baby. All well in the end.

smEGGnogg Tue 22-Nov-16 16:29:35

How worrying Nikki, I'm glad everything turned out alright in the end.

I had a scan today and she didn't notice anything that could indicate that.

Nikki2ol6 Tue 22-Nov-16 16:55:51

That's great your scan showed everything looked good

monkeyfacegrace Tue 22-Nov-16 17:46:45

When my waters went I drenched 3 bed pads, the bed sheets, the floor, and the midwife had to get changed as unfortunately she was doing an internal at the time. It's spectacular grin

smEGGnogg Tue 22-Nov-16 18:22:16

Sounds hilarious Monkey I currently have a student midwife looking after me alongside my community midwife as well. She is supposed to be delivering the baby as part of her caseload...should be a good experience for her grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now