Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone got a positive experience of growth scans they would share?

(9 Posts)
Flymetothemoon1567 Mon 21-Nov-16 19:53:33

I've been booked for 4 growth scans as ive had 2 small babies (not mega small... just slightly under 7lbs). They want to check this baby is growing and just small rather than that there is a placenta issue. I've convinced myself that the drs are going to overreact if they detect another small baby (even if baby growing fine) and I'll be booked for an early cs or similar which will turn out to have been unnecessary. I've heard lots of stories about growth scans estimating the weight wrong and I have friends who had to have 2 cs (for big baby) only to find that the scan had been wrong and both babies were a normal size. In an attempt to make me feel a bit better I was wondering if anyone had a positive growth scan story to share? Maybe drs we're happy to leave all alone as the baby was growing fine? Maybe they intervened and it was the right decision? All I've heard is bad stories so far so a few positive ones may make me feel better. Thanks in advance!

Pocketsizedpixie Mon 21-Nov-16 20:00:56

I had growth scans with DD1, she was small, but they were happy with that until she pretty much stopped growing. Was induced at 38 weeks and she was 5lb 3oz. She put on weight very quickly once out so I am happy the right decision was made. As a result they have done scans this time too, last one at 36 weeks had baby at 6lb something, and we have no more planned - no-one seemed concerned (although will be having c section for placenta previa)

NickyEds Mon 21-Nov-16 21:21:35

My ds was 6lb 5oz so I was sent for scans tom about 25 weeks with dd. They revealed that she too was small and as she was (just) under the 10th centile I had to go every week for dopplers and scans. She grew fine but remained small and resolutely breech at every scan. They initially talked of either inducing me at 39 weeks if she remained small but turned or elcs if she remained breech.As it turned out she turned at 35 ish weeks had a tiny growth spurt which just edged her over the 10th centile line. She was born vaginally at 40+4, a small but perfectly formed 6lb 11oz. The doctors were always reasonably happy as long as her growth rate remained steady.

willowcatkin111 Mon 21-Nov-16 21:24:39

I had regular growth scans with ds as dd was small. All was fine and he had what the doctors called a 'textbook growth curve', born at 40+5 at 7lbs

HandbagFan Mon 21-Nov-16 21:34:14

I had a growth scan with DS due to my BMI and they found he was on the 50th centile at 32 weeks. They didn't need me to come back.

He was actually born at 42+1 via EMCS at 6lbs 15oz, 9th centile for his gestation and 21st overall, but I was happy to have had the growth scan and he was safe and perfect.

Flymetothemoon1567 Tue 22-Nov-16 18:27:51

Thanks everyone. This has helped me feel a more positive about it. It's nice to hear it can work out for the best

thecatsarecrazy Tue 22-Nov-16 19:48:06

My bil partner was told her son was to small, not growing may need to be delivered earlier but he was 8lb 7. I need to go for a growth scan tomorrow because my bump has only grown 1cm in 3 weeks

chloechloe Wed 23-Nov-16 08:35:32

From what I've read it's important to distinguish between babies that are small for gestational age (SGA) and those that are small because of interuterine growth restriction (IUGR).

SGA babies are healthy but just genetically small for whatever reason. Their size is not caused by any medical concern and they reach their full growth potential in the womb (which seems to have been the case with your DC). If the scans show that they are steadily gaining weight and no problems are identified there is no need to intervene, even if they are low on the % scale.

IUGR babies on the other hand are small because of a medical issue (e.g. Placenta insufficiency) and do not reach their full growth potential. If they do not thrive in the womb it may be safer to deliver them early. I had a bit of a scare a few weeks ago as DD2 fell below the 10th percentile at 30w due to problems with the placenta and there was talk of an early delivery. After taking it more slowly on Dr's orders she has since caught up again.

In your case it just seems to be a matter of precaution - it seems your babies were perfectly healthy and not even that small! Unless the scans throw up a medical problem there shouldn't be any reason to intervene early.

I understand your concern about the growth scans though as they are notoriously inaccurate. DD1 was measured around 3.5kg and was 2.6kg (5llb5oz) so way out!!! She had IUGR due to low amniotic fluid and placental insufficiency and was tiny but fortunately otherwise healthy. These issues were luckily picked up in the growth scans so they decided to induce me at 40+5 as it would have been risky to go further overdue.

PatriciaMum567 Wed 23-Nov-16 22:47:49

I have had fibroids in pregnancy and they grew VERY large . Had 4 weekly growth scans which were converted to 2 weekly scans cuz the baby was below the 10th centile line. Now have dopplers every week in between scans. It's all a bit much. I feel fine and baby has been kicking as well. I think by 37 weeks they induce SGA babies?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now